The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2021, 12:02 AM   #1
D-n-Tyke

How is the A-Pilar / Drip rail / Roof Panel put together

So started to prep the upper A-Pillar repair area. I started by removing the seam sealer from the gutter of the drip rail. What I found under the seam sealer has me scratching my head a little. I can see how the A-Pillar section goes under the upper top windshield metal but what I didn't expect to see is it looks like there is another plate above the upper top windshield that kind of sandwiches the a-pillar lip between them. That "random" piece of metal looks to have rusted and started to pull away from the gutter, but still looks to be solidly connected to the gutter. Is that "random" piece normal to be there? I was planning on just grinding it pretty flat and then reapplying the seam sealer over it.
Attached Images

D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:09 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: How is the A-Pilar / Drip rail / Roof Panel put together

Before you start digging into it another option would be to really inspect whats rusted below that area , The rust at the bottom of the windshield may be worse , remove the glove box liner and using a good flashlight look up under the dash for more damage , also you can remove the cowl panel to get a good look at any damage there also , are you ready to really dig into the repair or just trying for a temporary patch ? to fix it you need to pull the windshield without doing any damage to the stainless trim . The seam sealer and windshield gasket have failed and without removing the windshield and repairing the rusted damage it's probably just going to get worse . I have a couple 67 cabs I'm working on one I just got done welding / finishing the upper and lower windshield seams to eliminate having to use seam sealer at the 4 seams around the windshield . I'll post some pictures for you later today .

you can see the damage caused to this dash from upper windshield leaks
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

Here are a couple pics during the repair after taking the area to bare metal ,welding ,grinding smooth and 1st application of short strand fiber glass filler , lots of hand sanding in these areas .
Attached Images

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 05-17-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:00 AM   #4
Grumpy old man

For anyone doing this repair or just replacing their windshield with the stainless trim read this thread .

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=765868

Old 05-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #5
D-n-Tyke

Thanks for the advice guys. Had already taken the glove box out and did some inspecting back there and didn't see any other rust issues around the window. Window will be coming out in the next couple of weeks so can confirm that then.

What did you guys do about the rust on the inside of the inner metal? (The rust you can see in the first picture is on the inside of the inner metal. The metal above the window right there is completely gone just leaving a hole.) I am going to clean up everything I can reach but I am sure there is ton that I won't be able to reach. Best plan I have for now is to vacuum out as much debris as I can out of the and then I ahve seen a hose attachment you can attach to a rattle can that then sprays 360 degree. I think it is made by Eastwood.
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:44 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

Do a search for "Roof rust repair" and you will find numerous threads (Like the one below) with photos and tips to get you through the repair. Don't forget to check the 67-72 button.

Good luck!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=774572
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #7
Cdorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Here are a couple pics during the repair after taking the area to bare metal ,welding ,grinding smooth and 1st application of short strand fiber glass filler , lots of hand sanding in these areas .
Grumpy, I like what you've done here! The overlapping seams in the drip rail and around the windshield have concerned me. Most trucks I've seen have, at least, surface rust. My drip rails have some pitting, but still solid. I also have one small hole showing up in the A pillar, between the rubber and the eyebrow. It looks like a shadow in the pic, thus the arrow. Makes me nervous to see what is under the rubber.

Curious how you did the welding and fiberglass? Pros/cons? Are there concerns about trapping rust where the seam overlaps? Any suggestions on that A pillar repair?

I'm a rookie at this, but looking into pulling my roof panel to get access to what needs to be replaced above the right door and a couple inches on each side of the inner header. I'll probably make a new post when I get the window pulled and a better idea of what is going on. Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2022, 06:29 PM   #8
Louisvillekytruck

Great information
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote