The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2021, 12:57 PM   #1
CastIron

Heartthrob (LMC) or Hooker Headers exhaust kit- which should I get and why?

I've been looking at exhaust kits for awhile now, and have narrowed it down to these two kits. I've looked into local exhaust shops, but all seem to be too expensive and can't do mandrel bends. I'm looking for some opinions from people who have installed either kit, along with any problems or difficulties they may have had.
My truck is a 1969 GMC C1500 that started like as a pretty boring 307/3 speed but now has a crate 350 in it. It's still mostly original, and I have no plans to build it into a high performance truck. It has hacked together single exhaust at the moment, and I'm sure I will notice a power gain by just going to 2 1/4" dual pipes.

And here is some pictures of the truck, because we all like looking at pics
Attached Images

CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:49 PM   #2
xs-cash

Re: Heartthrob (LMC) or Hooker Headers exhaust kit- which should I get and why?

Just put the heartthrob set up on mine , from LMC , easy to do ,no issues at all , even used the factory hangers , great set up !
xs-cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:11 AM   #3
kwmech

Since you are keeping relatively stock, I'd keep the manifolds and just do the pipes. Personally I like a large single pipe. The duals (in my experience) seem to rust out faster over time than a hotter single pipe and it's more stuff in the way under the truck
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #4
MikeB

I did a HeartThrob kit on my old 82 C10 several years ago. Things fit very well, but I had to modify the head pipes because my exhaust manifolds were from a 97 350.

I spoke with a guy at HeartThrob who answered all my questions about the various kits. He then told me to place the order through one of his distributors -- might have been AutoAnything. Anyway, it was a crazy low price and drop shipped form HeartThrob.

One thing I'd strongly recommend is to use your own mufflers.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:42 PM   #5
CastIron

I do plan on using the original exhaust manifolds and would like to use some long-case Dynomax mufflers. The Hooker setup doesn't come with mufflers, and the Heartthrob is available without, but it looks like LMC only sells it with mufflers. The Hooker pipes don't specifically say for coils or leaf springs, and the Heartthrob has different numbers for different springs. I have leaf springs.
For those of you with the Heartthrob exhaust, did you use remove the heat riser valve from the driver's side? And does the passenger side pipe (from the manifold) bend around the starter?
I have seen some reviews of the Hooker kit that says the pipe coming from the passenger side manifold is not at the right angle and hangs too low. Other people say it fits perfect. I'm not sure if the difference is the truck or the installation.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:30 PM   #6
67C10GS

Having heard both I prefer the sound of the hooker setup but it’s all personal preference.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:57 PM   #7
CastIron

Has anybody used the Hooker 16621HKR manifold back kit with leaf springs? I don't can't find anything that says it does or doesn't fit. I'm assuming because they list Chevrolet and GMC trucks in their applications list, it would fit either type.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:09 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

If you don't want a hot rod, manifolds are the way to go, and even then, the 375 HP Corvettes used ram's horn exhaust manifolds (2-1/2" outlets). If you do go to true dual exhaust, use an h-pipe for both a little performance improvement and quietness.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #9
greenweenie1969

I did the Doug's D371-Y's for headers. A ton of research and they are a great fit for my 69 c20. You don't have to cut the frame, they do not extend way below the frame, and they have great performance.
greenweenie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:35 PM   #10
saxart

I did the Heartthrob kit from LMC on a truck that is similar to yours (stock manifolds, crate 350, etc). It's a great kit. Bolted right up, came with all of the hangers, etc. I'm running the original mufflers that came with it. They're fine....quiet, yet you can still tell there's a V8 under the hood.

The only thing I did not like about the kit, and it's minor, is that the tail pipe has an odd 45-deg angle instead of going out near the back, then a sharp 90 out the side. Minor, but it bugs me.

Bottom line....get the kit. You won't regret it.