The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2022, 09:03 AM   #1
TrybalRage

Attempt to fix chevy lean has resuled in... chevy twist

As the title indicates, I've attempted to fix one problem but now I've created another that I might like even less.

I just lowered my 85 with a flip kit and cut coils. Even before the drop it had about a 1" difference between the drivers and passenger sides (lower on driver). I know, it's a very common problem. But now with the drop it's a lot more noticeable.

The battery has been moved to the drivers side and I have a 20 gallon tank that's currently full on that side as well that's probably causing/exacerbating the problem.

So to try and address it, I took the back end apart again and swapped the leafs from side to side. While they were off I sat them next to each other and the arch was exactly the same - but I swapped them anyway because I figured one may just be worn out. Did not help, same lean.

My next step was to cut a little more off the passenger side coil. So right now I have 1/2 more coil cut from the pass side than the drivers. After setting it down and taking it for a spin, I was very pleased to find that the front is exactly level, and maybe 3/8" lean in the back. More than acceptable.

So here's the problem(s). When I look underneath I can clearly see that the front passenger control arms are more 'compressed' than the drivers. So I'm worried this will create alignment issues. What's worse(?) is that when I view the truck from the back you can clearly see that the bed is no longer aligned with the cab. Previously it was perfect. Now it's roughly an inch, maybe a little less, higher on one side due to what I assume is the frame twisting due to my coil springs being uneven.

So I'm not sure what to do. Replace the coils and just let it lean? Shim the bed on one side to correct the look? Relocate the battery and get a blazer tank or something that's centered? I'm open to ideas.

2010 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD
TrybalRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:23 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Attempt to fix chevy lean has resuled in... chevy twist

Could move the fuel tank to the passenger side. That would be about 180lbs moved from the driver's to the passenger side. 120lbs of fuel + ~60lbs of tank, supports, straps and hoses. Frame may already have the proper holes, the supports can flip fairly easy, the straps, tank and hoses don't care. Probably have to get a new sender. Plus deal with the hole in the fender passenger side for the fill cap/door and fix the one on the driver's side. But probably a lot less work then doing a rear blazer tank that would still have you having to fix the driver's side fuel hole.

If that doesn't fix the lean, then move the battery back.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:27 AM   #3
Greasey Harley

Lowering the opposite corner fixed my truck.
The driver front was about 3/4" low on my truck, it was REALLY noticeable after I lowered the truck.
I cut a 3/16" lowering shim out of a piece of scrap aluminum and installed it on the passenger rear corner.
My truck now sets pretty darn level.
Old 03-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #4
TrybalRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Could move the fuel tank to the passenger side. That would be about 180lbs moved from the driver's to the passenger side. 120lbs of fuel + ~60lbs of tank, supports, straps and hoses. Frame may already have the proper holes, the supports can flip fairly easy, the straps, tank and hoses don't care. Probably have to get a new sender. Plus deal with the hole in the fender passenger side for the fill cap/door and fix the one on the driver's side. But probably a lot less work then doing a rear blazer tank that would still have you having to fix the driver's side fuel hole.

If that doesn't fix the lean, then move the battery back.
My truck was set up with dual 16 gallons from the factory. I took them out for a single 20 gallon for my swap. So yeah that's an option. I guess the only thing I'd really need to buy is a new sender since the tanks fit both sides. Plus route my fuel hose a little differently. Not a huge deal.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:57 AM   #5
TrybalRage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasey Harley View Post
Lowering the opposite corner fixed my truck.
The driver front was about 3/4" low on my truck, it was REALLY noticeable after I lowered the truck.
I cut a 3/16" lowering shim out of a piece of scrap aluminum and installed it on the passenger rear corner.
My truck now sets pretty darn level.
I've read about shimming the back like that. I may have to try it if I get another set of front springs. I honestly thought that swapping the leafs would make a difference, but there was no change I could see.

Old 03-13-2022, 12:56 PM   #6
SCOTI

When you're measuring to determine these height dimensions, where are your measuring points being taken from?

Your truck is an '85 & was not square prior to the drop. Are the 37yr old body bushings still in place?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote