The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2022, 05:08 PM   #1
wheeliemammoth

Easy Greasy - Rescuing a Silverado from Tweakers.

May of 2021, picked up this awful looking 84 Silverado.

7 layers of spray paint, a meth pipe hidden in the dash, busted vent window, popped ignition you had to start with pliers, a tag from a white 96 Corolla, and a bill of sale with the wrong VIN number.

$800 bucks, ran when primed with gas. Edelbrock 1406 and a Victor Jr intake. The only rust is in the cab corners, the only real body damage is the dent in the driver door- shouldn't be a problem for someone to get out.

Here are some pictures of how bad it looked, it was filthy inside and out. I found needles hidden under the seat when I pulled it out to pressure wash the interior.

Meth heads, I swear...
Attached Images

wheeliemammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:42 AM   #2
wheeliemammoth

Re: Easy Greasy - Rescuing a Silverado from Tweakers.

Went after it with a single edge razor, able to clear a 6x6 inch section in the evening after work. No chemicals, solvents would have been too aggressive on the original paint. Each area had different types of spray paint on it, I had to jump around and then connect the dots.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2022, 07:56 AM   #3
wheeliemammoth

So after three months of scraping away spray paint I was down to the stock Doeskin Tan and Apple Red. I'd installed a flip kit on the back and cut the hell out of the front springs, sitting closer to what I was looking for but still wanted to level out the rear. Threw on a Grant 829 steering wheel and cleaned up the filthy interior a bit.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2022, 08:19 AM   #4
wheeliemammoth

Earlier this year I got around to tackling the red paint- 16 hours of wet sanding with 1500 and she was back to Tan. Still need to find someone to pop the dent out of the door, I don't want to mess with it since that body line is creased.

Drug an old fiberglass shell out of the woods on some property I own, don't know who left it there. Cleaned it up and let it be a placeholder until I can find an aluminum topper for a long bed, it'll do for now.

That's about where it stands, I'm looking to add a step notch and 2 link the rear then set it up to lay frame on bags.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2022, 09:00 AM   #5
jcramsey

That’s a pretty remarkable transformation. Never would have guessed you could get rid of all that paint with just a razor blade!

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:21 AM   #6
wheeliemammoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramsey View Post
That’s a pretty remarkable transformation. Never would have guessed you could get rid of all that paint with just a razor blade!
Thankfully meth heads are not known for their attention to detail so their lack of prep work definitely played in my favor.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #7
LT7A

I can't believe you peeled that thing back to the tan. That's a great job done. I thought the red was original and maybe you'd be painting that back in. Anyway, it sits cool, and I actually like that fiberglass canopy for it. Very utili-cool vibe. Both of the doors had been kicked in on one of the trucks I bought for parts. I decided to clean it up and drive it rather than pull it apart. So I got those little suction cup dent pullers. The little ones are like a buck at harbor freight. I think with a dent the size of yours, I would attach a 4-in cup in the center of it and just keep a little tension on it. Then I would use a 2-in cup to go around the perimeter and work my way toward the middle. I think you stand less chance of doing more damage when you start at the outside and work your way in rather than starting in the middle and just giving it the big old heave-ho. Glad you started a build thread, I will enjoy watching this one.

Last edited by LT7A; 03-24-2022 at 11:28 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:52 AM   #8
wheeliemammoth

LT7A, thanks for the feedback! The red was original, I just decided against going back with that scheme. If I do anything I may run a chocolate brown strip along the lower body line, still up in the air. I ruined two of the 2-inch cups from HF, the small crease in the beltline is keeping it from popping out entirely. I can live with it for now, I think a pro should do it to reduce damage to the paint in that spot. I may give it another shot, time will tell.

I picked up a parts truck with a clean title, free-spinning 350, and a straight body recently. PO tore the front end down to replace tie rod ends, ball joints and brake pads then had to leave for basic training. Lost interest and I took it thinking it would be a parts truck- but it is going to be one that I keep stock and get back on the road. All the components he planned to replace are sitting in the seat, just needs some elbow grease.
Attached Images

Last edited by wheeliemammoth; 03-25-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:51 PM   #9
LT7A

I think the all-over tan suits the look with that canopy better than it would with the red. But if you ever decide to go without the canopy, my vote is that it's really tough to beat that red / tan combination. The tan can look a little flesh-tone in the right (wrong, haha) light - I have a Suburban with it, acres of that color. But the red bends it more toward yellow when it is present. Just my .02 and I'm a fan of original paint schemes - especially when they are as cool as that.

That second truck is cool too! Looks like it's totally worth getting back on the road, and it's primed for a little bit of care and attention. You are going to become known as a squarebody rescuer, considering where you started with your first truck. I've encountered needles in a parts car at the pick-n-pull. Scary while you're trying to pull parts, and then just sad when you think about it.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:41 PM   #10
Ad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliemammoth View Post
Thankfully meth heads are not known for their attention to detail so their lack of prep work definitely played in my favor.
The only detail meth heads are known for is knowing how much Sudafed they can buy without triggering the Feds. Truck looks great!
Ad Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:04 PM   #11
Warrens69GMC

Wow! Great work!!
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:42 PM   #12
wheeliemammoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
That second truck is cool too! Looks like it's totally worth getting back on the road, and it's primed for a little bit of care and attention.
I'm leaning toward pulling the engine and trans and selling the roller to someone who's just dying to do an LS swap...

I don't have much desire to have multiple vehicles in different stages, I think this tan one is a solid enough basis to build on. We'll see.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2022, 05:10 PM   #13
Rickysnickers

"....a tag from a white 96 Corolla, and a bill of sale with the wrong VIN number..."

Knowing they were tweakers, I'm hoping you don't run into any issues trying to register this truck in your own name.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:39 PM   #14
wheeliemammoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
"....a tag from a white 96 Corolla, and a bill of sale with the wrong VIN number..."

Knowing they were tweakers, I'm hoping you don't run into any issues trying to register this truck in your own name.
Nope, no issue. I had the cops come out and run the VIN when I got it to the house. I got lucky.

25 dollar one time registration, can't beat it.

Last edited by wheeliemammoth; 03-26-2022 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:23 AM   #15
Rickysnickers

Good, glad you did that
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:36 AM   #16
wheeliemammoth

Had a productive day yesterday.

Tore down the steering column and fixed the issue with the steering park lockout not engaging, installed the hi/low beam selector arm that I forgot to put in when I changed the steering wheel and attached the horn.

Found that the oil leak that was marking up the driveway was a pinhole in the dipstick tube and repaired that. Put in a new battery and changed the plugs of unknown vintage.

When I lowered it there was an intermittent scraping noise that I couldn't pinpoint- I found that the driveshaft was rubbing against one of the muffler brackets when going over a bump so I moved that as well.

Pulled the AC, heater, smog components and a million dead-end wires, trying to clean the engine bay up a bit. Yanked out the hood insulation that was falling apart and got the AC cooler from in front of the radiator. Replaced the busted vent window on the driver's side and rubbed everything down with linseed oil.

Not bad for a Friday off work.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2022, 02:59 AM   #17
LT7A

Man, never underestimate the value of tidying up a little - good progress. The Silverado of course is the highest option group, but that was a well optioned truck since it had a hood blanket. I've never been sure those are a good idea though, so I don't think you'll miss it. It seems like I would rather let the heat out of the engine compartment than not hear the engine. With all of the air that flows over the hood it's inevitable that it would draw some of that heat out if there wasn't a blanket keeping it in.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:40 AM   #18
wheeliemammoth

Man, I didn't realize how long it's been since I posted here.

Bagged, notched, stuffed with 31" mud tires, too much to cover in one post but here's a pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by wheeliemammoth; 01-17-2024 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2024, 12:43 PM   #19
TotallyHucked

Dang! A whole different truck!
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
TotallyHucked is offline   Reply With Quote