The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
ataboycowboy

Electric Fuel pump?

Howdy everybody!

Did some searching on here and have found some helpful hints, but need a question answered. I have a 67 C10 short stepside I am building up. I have a 350 with a 700R4 out of a 90 chevy and it had a fuel pump in the tank. The tank from the 90 is gone and I purchased a Aluminum tank for under the bed. I'm going to run a EDELBROCK 1806 650 CFM AVS Carb and so I need to get an Electric fuel pump. What psi and gpm do I need to get? Any opinions on the brand?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

ataboycowboy
ataboycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Electric Fuel pump?

edelbrocks dont tend to like anything more than about 5.5 psi. on a stock engine gph isnt really an issue. did you already get an intake to do the swap from fuel injection. its possible you can run a mechanical pump. you have to remove the cover plate and check to make sure the hole goes already through to the cam. if it does get yourself a 15 dollar mechanical fuel pump and be done with it. you would just have to get a fuel pump pushrod and the plate to bolt the pump to. nothing thats hard to get ahold of. your not gonna find an electric pump that puts out 5.5 psi but you need to find something that puts out 14 or less and use a regulator on it if you go that route.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
ataboycowboy

Yeah I forgot to mention, The 350 out of the 90 chevy has TBI and I am removing that and putting the Edlebrock on it and I have an aluminum Edlebrock intake I was planning on using. I double checked and the block on the 350 does not have a cover plate for a mechanical fuel pump, the casting is indented, but no hole or bolt holes at all, so putting a mechanical fuel pump is kind of out of the question.

Well, I've found all kinds of electric fuel pumps ranging from $40 that put out 1.5-4psi with 25gph or a $90 one with 6-8psi with 32gph and all the way up to a $220 one that puts out 7psi with 140gph, but these say they use gas or methanol, so I am assuming this is for the drag strip.

So I was just curious if a universal pump that is close to the $40 or $90 dollar pump work for my set up?
Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

I used the Holley Red elec fuel pump to feed a hungry 454 BBC in my late '67 K/10 Suburban. With the fuel tanks all the way back at the end of a longbed frame, the mech fuel pump wasn't getting it. The Holley pump worked good. I had a Carter AFB 9635 [650 cfm]. It wasn't finicky about fuel supply.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
ataboycowboy

So can you pump too much gas into a carb? If I have a stock 350 with a edlebrock 650 carb, would I need a regulator with that Holly Red?
Old 11-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
cableguy0

yes. it will run extremely rich at idle without a regulator because it will push the needle off the seat. edelbrocks are really finicky about fuel pressure.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
us111

hello,my 1406 running on a 99 caddy escalade motor does not like anything above about 3.5 psi.i am just running a generic electric fuel pump with a generic regulator and it runs just fine.hope that helps.
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:52 AM   #8
'68OrangeSunshine

Edelbrock recommends 5.5 PSI for my 600 CFM 1405 on a 350 V8. I used a Holley 12-803 Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Carter P4594 7 to 8 psi 72GPH free flow.
Carter P4070 6 psi 72 GPH free flow.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:38 PM   #10
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Carter P4594 7 to 8 psi 72GPH free flow.
Carter P4070 6 psi 72 GPH free flow.
I know is an older thread, but I wanted let others know that the Carter P4070 works great as a primer pump. I was looking for an electronic pump to prime my edelbrock 1406 carb so i wouldn't have to crank and crank just to fill the bowls before it would start.
Works great.
Turn it on just long enough to fill the bowls.
Start the motor and turn it off.
I like it.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:46 PM   #11
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
I know is an older thread, but I wanted let others know that the Carter P4070 works great as a primer pump. I was looking for an electronic pump to prime my edelbrock 1406 carb so i wouldn't have to crank and crank just to fill the bowls before it would start.
Works great.
Turn it on just long enough to fill the bowls.
Start the motor and turn it off.
I like it.
Do you run a mechanical pump also?

Old 05-15-2022, 11:04 PM   #12
LostMy65

Yes, that was the reason I was looking for a flow through. Just wanted it to fill the carburetor bowls and then start the motor then turn it off. I didn't like having to crank and crank the engine before it would start.
But I'm kinda thinking I may disconnect the mechanical pump and run the electric only.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 05-16-2022, 10:15 PM   #13
Ziegelsteinfaust

I highly recommend a bypass regulator. This way the pump does not dead head as much, and keeps heat down. My holley blue pump has a year under its belt, and has not had typical issues. Hopefully I will have no problems for years to come.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:58 AM   #14
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I highly recommend a bypass regulator. This way the pump does not dead head as much, and keeps heat down. My holley blue pump has a year under its belt, and has not had typical issues. Hopefully I will have no problems for years to come.
I ran the Holley Red pump under my '67 K/10Suburban with BBC 454, Since starting that big block from a rear and low down tank with a stock mechanical fuel pump was taxing for its battery and 35 Amp charging system.
So I skipped the recommended Fail/Safe electric pump equipped-race cars are required to have -- an Oil Pressure CutOff Switch -- Cuz it was already hard to start. Once the OP is up circuit is closed = ignition. No or low Oil pressures and Fuel Pump shuts engine down.
Worked grand until I had a carb fire due to a hot backfire catching my flammable K AND N Air Cleaner. [Accidently put a 5 gallon jerry can in the tank that I didn't know was diesel] and it was mixed when I swung around a corner after filling up with Chevron high test.
Aslo had a clear plastic fuel filter inline with the Carter AFB carb.
Another few seconds and the burning air cleaner could have melted the plastic fuel filter and with the LX Fuel Pump [STILL ON] spraying out against back pressure -- the resultant fireball would've excited onlookers many meters away. Anything closer gets vaporized.
I was lucky this happenned in front of my hotel, and two guys whose wives worked there came out in the street with the hotel's fire extinguishers.
Knocked it down.
God Loves Fools.
But I'll never have a plastic fuel filter in the engine bay again.
Towed the Sub back to Tucson. Insurance Co called it totalled. Sold me back the chassis as parts. Now with a Salvage Title, I don't want to put money into it if I can't get it Street legal again.
Anyway beware of an elec fuel pump without all the safety protocols, or you could ruin your whole day.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 05-17-2022 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #15
cadillac_al

I'm one of those guys that likes to let the engine crank and build oil pressure before it starts. I used to give my plow truck a squirt of gas before starting it so it wouldn't have to crank so long. Then it spun a bearing and I figured it didn't like those quick starts with no oil pressure.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:10 AM   #16
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I'm one of those guys that likes to let the engine crank and build oil pressure before it starts. I used to give my plow truck a squirt of gas before starting it so it wouldn't have to crank so long. Then it spun a bearing and I figured it didn't like those quick starts with no oil pressure.
You know what? I was just thinking of that the other day. I have another engine that I'm working on and use a trigger to turn it over. I noticed the oil pressure rising and then it started. I was thinking the same as you in that you are pumping oil through the system before it fires up.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 05-17-2022, 07:31 PM   #17
cadillac_al

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
You know what? I was just thinking of that the other day. I have another engine that I'm working on and use a trigger to turn it over. I noticed the oil pressure rising and then it started. I was thinking the same as you in that you are pumping oil through the system before it fires up.
I don't even waste my time pumping the gas pedal until the oil pressure comes up. I figure it takes about that long for the gas to get to the carb anyway. I would just be pumping a dry accelerator pump.

This doesn't happen if we drive them every day but as we all know, we let them set a few days from time to time and they are pigs to start lol.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote