The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2022, 07:06 PM   #26
cxune

Re: Who has side exhaust?

So y'all don't want it to be loud in your cab, but a few of you actively want to deafen people in their cars. When you go to a public restroom, do you deliberately piss all over the seat too?

I do like the idea of coming out the side just to reduce the complexity and the weight swinging on the exhaust. But I don't want to be another jerk pissing in the sonic pool.
cxune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:14 PM   #27
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxune View Post
So y'all don't want it to be loud in your cab, but a few of you actively want to deafen people in their cars. When you go to a public restroom, do you deliberately piss all over the seat too?

I do like the idea of coming out the side just to reduce the complexity and the weight swinging on the exhaust. But I don't want to be another jerk pissing in the sonic pool.
I just had my exhaust rerouted from coming out the side right in front of the back tire to dumping out rearward behind the back tire. It is much quieter but sometimes I do miss pissing on the seat.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:40 PM   #28
RockTonka

Quote:

Hmmm, I resemble that remark...
Attached Images

1966 "Not-So-Original" Chevy Custom Trim Suburban
My Time-Killing Project Truck

1966 GMC Extended cab 1 1/4 ton 4X4
My Son's build thread
RockTonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:49 PM   #29
AcampoDave

I live on a busy road by an elementary school and the dumbest, loudest stuff is always roaring by, and it sucks. Stuff like Caddilac CTC's with cut outs. Late model supercars with some kind of snarling Borla bulls%&#! on them, desil pick ups with a sewer pipe outlet, and it's like, "Dude, who are you trying to impress winding your garbage up to 4k in a school zone,.... your child's 10 year old peers?" Ok...I'll get off my "old guy" soapbox now, but it does take me back to the days of VW bugs with "stinger pipes"
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:54 PM   #30
forestb

In my neighborhood it is mostly BMW’s with that snap crackle pop exhaust and that vibrating mettle sound. I think that they think it sounds like a race car but to me it sounds like a vehicle with an ill suited exhaust.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:08 AM   #31
Braunschweiger

I also laid it out to the Side, both Pipes to the left, with normal turbo mufflers, maybe not what you mean, but a suggestion.
Meanwhile I like it more subtle, nice V8 sound, but quiet
Attached Images

Greetings Harald

My 62 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829782

Last edited by Braunschweiger; 05-21-2022 at 04:35 AM.
Braunschweiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:56 PM   #32
AcampoDave

^^nice work^^
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:04 PM   #33
MT65

This works on my truck
Attached Images

MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:41 PM   #34
350TacoZilla

Quote:

I'm curious how you think 3ft of tail pipe is going to quiet down the exhaust more than say muffler choice? I mean I get the idea of not making it deafening but at same time like 99% of trucks come with the OEM exhaust exiting one of the sides just behind the wheel instead of in front, and the pipe itself is going to have very little effect on volume.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:11 PM   #35
bigmoe

I ran my truck with just turndowns until I got it in for tail pipes. The tail pipes did quiet it some, especially the drone.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:18 PM   #36
350TacoZilla

In cab I'm sure it did but as for actual volume outside I doubt it made much of difference to DB levels. Big deal with in cab sound is getting the ends the furthest from you and pointed away from you basically.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:58 PM   #37
88Stanger

I have side exhaust on my "69. I have flow masters and side exit before the rear tire. Obviously it is louder inside the cab then would be a rear exit, but I went into knowing this and I accepted this. With that said, do what you want, what you like. Get as much info as you can on it, pro's and con's.... then do what you want, that is all that matters.
Just to be different I was looking at running my exhaust for my "66 up at an angle through the bed (45 degree angle up) just to be different. Lots of people had negative comments on this, some had good comments - neg and pos but in the end I will do what I want. I appreciate all those whom comment on it, as long as it is done in a positive way. Ya some may not like your idea and there is a way to be constructive with a comment but in the end it is your truck, your want, your choice.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote