The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #51
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Plow Truck, '78 GMC K35 Dually

Got our first plowable snow yesterday. The truck worked awesome. Really couldn't ask for better. Winter fricken wonderland.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:16 AM   #52
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Having a really warm weekend for Minnesota in November so I decided to replace the rear slider. I actually refurbished a slider last winter. I took pics and plan on writing up a how-to for it. I've replaced rear glass a few times and never had much trouble. Today I had plenty of it. The rope tore through the gasket in the lower corner on the first try. $37 down the drain. Decided to try the lock strip gasket on attempt #2. Almost tore that also. My arms and shoulders are sore from working that gasket around. Still need to get the lock strip in but it can wait until tomorrow.
I'll look forward to the write-up. I've got one that could use some attention.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:43 AM   #53
Low Elco

Glad it worked well for ya!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:44 PM   #54
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

One of my Christmas presents was some small LED lights for the rear. Not wiring them to the reverse lights, I'll wire them separately with a button next to the plow controller. Just another small improvement. I've got these same lights on the golf cart and they work great. All metal bodies. The wiring kit is for an ATV so I have to extend some wires. Hopefully done before the next snow.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #55
palposity

Great Job on this Truck. Love this one!
Project #1 "Pops"--1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 3rd Generation in the same original owner family. GOAL: Restore to "almost" original.
View Project Pops HERE

Project #2 "Cletus"--1986 Chevy K20 4.10 Gear Ratio GOAL: Restore into a heavy duty work/plow rig
View Project Cletus HERE - SOLD

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
palposity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:14 AM   #56
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Lights help a lot out there in the wind country while plowing I'm sure!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:47 PM   #57
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got a warm day while I was actually home so I could finish the rear light install. Had the harness ready to go. Just needed to plug in the lights and route the power wires along the frame rail and solder in to the relay wires. Works great! Mounted the switch by the plow controller.

Also mounted the receiver hitch. Freshly painted. I didn't plan on using it, came with the bumper, but using a ball mounted in the recessed hole there is a problem. I hooked up my step sons big enclosed trailer this summer to move it around and it basically was locked onto the ball. There's not enough room above the ball for the hitch to come off it. I was lucky and was able to separate them by unbolting the ball. Just enough room to wiggle it free. Otherwise I would have had to get the torch. I'm not really planning to tow much since the truck rarely leaves the yard. But I need to move stuff around.

I'm thinking about swapping LED lights into the plow ones and installing a dual battery setup next year. Oh and I blew out the muffler, so it sounds a little better now lol. Exhaust upgrade for sure next summer.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2022, 08:29 PM   #58
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Love it!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:43 PM   #59
Low Elco

Shame you have one of the little electric controls- it'd be cool to adapt a go baby go shift knob to one of the old cable controls and hit the lights from the button. I've put a LOT of those little electric dudes in.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:52 PM   #60
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The plow truck did great over the winter. There's a chance I'll be plowing yet but spring finally showed up this past week. About a month ago I had the block heater start leaking and I spent some fun time under the truck trying to get a new one in between the block and exhaust manifold. Fun fun times. And after that (unrelated) it was running rough, would stall out if put in drive before it was well warmed up, hard starts, misfires. While checking things out, thinking it might be the choke adjustment, I saw sparks from 2 plug wires.

I used these blue streak wires because they have a very low resistance per foot for the price. Good fit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-10002

New plugs and wires fixed it and it's ready for the next ice storm!

Welcome to the mud pit. This was all ice and snow a week earlier. I had to get a load of rock delivered for a spot that was down to the clay and almost got the UPS truck stuck.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2023, 09:42 PM   #61
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Been over a year since the last post? Well last year went okay. We had a lot more snow. It drifted up by the grove so bad at one point that even this truck didn't have the power and weight to push the pile into the ditch. I almost didn't get through at all. I was pushing a pile as high as the hood of the truck with nowhere to push to but straight ahead, making the pile even bigger. It was crazy. The township plows left us stranded for 3 days, so I plowed from my driveway all the way to town, 3/4 of a mile. There were places I barely got through. The wind was blowing it back in right away even after the storm was done so I had to do it two days in a row. I almost got the plow stuck, on the road, not in the ditch. At the end of my driveway it was so much that the big road grader the township uses couldn't get it widened out so they had to get one of the big trucks to do it. Spring was a disaster, where the snow was piled up along the driveway the melt water was too far from the ditch area to drain off so the gravel driveway was a mudpit. It was a foot deep and we couldn't leave the yard without 4wd engaged for a few weeks. I had to pay for a load of rock to be dumped on it. Even the county and township was having to do that for gravel roads in the area. Just a sloppy mess.

Nothing broke on the plow truck though. There were several times I thought something was going to bend, brake, blow up, etc. I worked it HARD. By far the worst winter for spring cleanup since I moved out here. Anyway, the truck did as well as could be expected under the conditions. The only real way to improve it would be having a V plow. Those are really expensive and most people that have them clear snow as a business. Too much for the regular guy just handling his own driveway, but if I found a bargain I'd jump on it.

But the only things I'm doing for sure are adding an aux battery, replacing the wiper motor (it's kinda crap) and maybe install a dual exhaust. It's got the 2 into 1 small pipe on it and the muffler blew apart when the tailpipe got plugged with snow lol. I have my exhaust from my 72 blazer that I think I can use most of. I'll have to get the front pieces to connect to the manifolds since it's a header set up and get some extensions because of the longer wheelbase but I should be able to make it work.

Tonight I got the new aux battery tray installed.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2023, 10:47 PM   #62
Willowrun

Cool stuff. I'm headed to pick up a new to me plow next week to put on an old non-Chevy truck I have for plowing snow. I had a plow on a Ford Bronco at my old house that had a long driveway but moved to a house with a shorter driveway about 10 years ago and sold the Ford thinking I didn't need a truck with a plow with the shorter driveway. I've used a sweepster and a bobcat with a plow since being here and this year I'm going back to a truck with a plow. Nothing works better in my opinion.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 08:59 PM   #63
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
Cool stuff. I'm headed to pick up a new to me plow next week to put on an old non-Chevy truck I have for plowing snow. I had a plow on a Ford Bronco at my old house that had a long driveway but moved to a house with a shorter driveway about 10 years ago and sold the Ford thinking I didn't need a truck with a plow with the shorter driveway. I've used a sweepster and a bobcat with a plow since being here and this year I'm going back to a truck with a plow. Nothing works better in my opinion.
Bobcats work great with the right bucket. I'd have one if I could afford it. At least I know several people that have one and are willing to help when I need it.

So yesterday I remembered I also need to improve gas flow. My pump I was using seemed weak, like it barely got gas to the filter under the hood. I bought a holley pump a while ago and installed it yesterday. Gas flow was still pitiful. I disconnected hoses in different places to see if there was a blockage. Nothing was going through the pump and I know it's good because I used it this summer to temporarily run the riviera on. Turns out the hose from the sending unit is garbage and the pump is sucking air. So now I have to drop the tank and replace the hose.

I did get most of the aux battery kit installed before it got dark. I forgot to stop and get a couple screws I need for mounting the isolator, what was in the kit doesn't work. And I need a battery! No new pics, I'll get some when I'm done.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:01 PM   #64
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Yesterday I replaced the bad hose from the sending unit and finally fixed the fuel flow problem. And I ordered a new wiper motor. I looked for options on improving over the oem motor and there's a couple very expensive options but nothing that is a direct bolt in using newer stock parts. So I'll just hope a new motor will be good enough. It should be fine. Right now I only have 1 speed and it's very weak.

I finished the aux battery setup and it tested good. The real test will be when it's about 0 degrees out. Instead of buying a new battery I can use the new one I put in my riviera. That car won't be used all winter then in the spring when I'm done plowing snow it can go back in the car.

I better order some exhaust tube to connect to the manifolds before I forget.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2023, 09:04 PM   #65
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Did a little weight reduction today. The driver side gas tank isn't used. The transfer valve and hoses and wiring is gone or mangled. So I dropped it out. Then found wiring under there that was for an in bed camper. Don't need that and even if I did it should be redone. I had 2 hot wires that went to nowhere under the hood. I kinda sorta cleaned up wiring under the hood. It's better than it was anyway. Still need to ziptie wires along the frame because I had to undo everything to get the unnecessary wires out. Something to do tomorrow while waiting for parts to get delivered.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2023, 06:26 PM   #66
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got the wiring and fuel hoses zip tied into the frame a bit better. I collected all the miscellaneous exhaust tubing and hangers and clamps, etc I had around and then grabbed the old exhaust from the Jimmy. It was a 2-1/4" dual exhaust kit and I could probably reuse it on the Jimmy but it'll work great for the plow truck right now. The Jimmy is getting an LS swap eventually.

So a bit of cutting, hacking and tweaking and I have a dual exhaust in the plow truck. It's gotta be better for the 400 sbc than the 2 into 1 with a 2" tailpipe. The only bits I needed to buy was a few straight tube sections to fill the middle for the longer wheelbase. It's all mounted up but it needs welded yet to finish. Something to do on Saturday.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2023, 06:30 PM   #67
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Getting there...
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2023, 09:57 PM   #68
400/400

Thanks for the updates. Always good to see trucks doing what they were made for and being maintained/ improved!
1987 V10 TBI350/700R4/208/10/10
'85 Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643968
400/400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 01:22 PM   #69
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This morning I drug the welder out and put down some stacked dimes.... err more like dirty scabs. Old dirty pipe and aluminized steel sucks to weld. Much respect for the guys that do this all the time and make it look good. But it should hold together just fine for the next several years and if it doesn't I'll still have a welder to stitch it back together. It sounds good!

The new wiper motor was delivered and installed yesterday. Got 2 speeds again!

Not much left to do. I need to fix a light that got hit on the bumper. I should do an oil change.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2023, 06:51 PM   #70
LT7A

Cool that the truck is taking care of you, and you're taking care of it. That rig is all business.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 11:56 PM   #71
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Cool that the truck is taking care of you, and you're taking care of it. That rig is all business.
Yep, around here a lot of people are still using them as they were intended for.

Here's my squares. The crewcab build has a thread also.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2023, 07:53 PM   #72
400/400

How do you like plowing with duals? There was a local guy that would pull his outer duals for the winter trying to get more traction.
1987 V10 TBI350/700R4/208/10/10
'85 Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643968
400/400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 11:39 AM   #73
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400/400 View Post
How do you like plowing with duals? There was a local guy that would pull his outer duals for the winter trying to get more traction.
I was worried about the width, that the outer tires would be in the unplowed snow or in the piled up snow along side the path, but it wasn't really a problem. I think I have more traction than a single, more contact patch. This dually seems to push harder than the old K10 did, by far. In lighter snow, like 6" or so I barely touch the throttle, it just pushes without effort. I don't have any paved surfaces though, just a 10' pad in front of 1 garage. The rest is all gravel so that might make a difference.