The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2022, 02:02 PM   #51
McDeezl

Re: 1972 Cheyenne Super coming apart to go back together

Looking good Greg. Still amazed when we see more pics of all that original stuff @ 50 yrs old still looking almost brand new. Incredible!
Old 01-30-2022, 02:45 PM   #52
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDeezl View Post
Looking good Greg. Still amazed when we see more pics of all that original stuff @ 50 yrs old still looking almost brand new. Incredible!
thanks,you're right,i've said it a dozen times about this truck.i never had anything this good and i've had a bunch of these trucks and had old cars forever,i get surprised everytime i take something apart.it's unreal the condition it's in,can't way to see it back together.take care.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:17 PM   #53
LT7A

Glad that you survived the storm and the truck is looking good. Nice progress. Also glad that you didn't decide that that first coat of paint was just the lighting or something and get it all installed. Looks much better with that brighter orange. By the way, I believe Tremclad is the same as what we have in the States known as Rust-oleum.

Last edited by LT7A; 02-04-2022 at 04:39 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:41 PM   #54
mr.mud1

hi,how's things today?i'm embarrassed with that first paint job and chevy orange-red???what the heck is that?anyway all fixed up.i bought enough orange paint to paint a battleship but it looks nice now i think.you might be right on the Rust-oleum being the same as Tremclad here although we do also have Rust-oleum so who knows?it's all good.take care,Greg
Old 02-04-2022, 12:49 AM   #55
mr.mud1

more progress,the transmission parts arrived from New Hampshire,thanks Dan.they have been delivered to the transmission guy so he's doing his thing and hopefully next week,my transmission will be ready and i'll be able to go get it and get on with re-installing the engine and trans.now i'm on a mission for more of those wittek tower clamps.i have some but not enough,so i ordered more but no hurry on them.i worked on removing the original steering column and getting the tilt column in.it's in but not finished,i hope to button it all up tomorrow.i shortened the collapsable part of the steering shaft an inch or so.i moved the column closer to the dash by about an inch.i had a new headlight switch here so i installed it.the original still worked fine but it is 50 years old,time for a new one.i re-posistioned the neutral safety swith on the column and welded up the notch where it originally was and discovered the switch didn't match up to my trucks wiring for the NSS so no big deal,put my switch from the original column on the new tilt column then my wiring will work.WRONG,my original non-tilt column safety switch won't fit the new tilt,so i had to alter the wire connection.anyway it's in,tomorrow it'll be done and then move onto the rad.i'm considering ordering a new core and re-core my rad.i'll see what it looks like once i get the rad tanks off.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #56
LT7A

Greg, could you put pictures in here of your radiator work? I'm not ready to take the leap to aluminum, and would like to learn more about what's possible to do to fix and retain an oem radiator. Thanks! The steering column looks good.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 06:58 PM   #57
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Greg, could you put pictures in here of your radiator work? I'm not ready to take the leap to aluminum, and would like to learn more about what's possible to do to fix and retain an oem radiator. Thanks! The steering column looks good.
hi,no problem.i finished up the column today and repaired the collapsable part of the steering shaft after shortening it all an inch or so and a smaller wheel to get it away from me a little.i did finally get one tank off from the rad core,the other tomorrow.it took a long time as i didn't want to destroy the core,incase i had to put it back together but it's a mess and the original GM rad,so it's 50 years old,i'll be ordering a new core from my rad shop guy,the old style copper/brass cores are made in Quebec so it'll take a week or 2,i imagine for him to get his hands on one for me but that's ok,lots to do,especially if my transmission is ready next week.i'll be busy putting the engine and trans back in.i built the rad in my 39 Chrysler,the 67 wagon and many more over the years,so 1 more won't matter,as long as i can still buy cores.i make more pictures as i make progress on the rad.take care.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2022, 07:02 PM   #58
Mike80D

Been following since you got the truck, and have enjoyed your progress. Love the attention to detail. Just in case you’re not aware, a 15” version of the OE steering wheel is available. Keep up the great work!
Mike80D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:44 PM   #59
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike80D View Post
Been following since you got the truck, and have enjoyed your progress. Love the attention to detail. Just in case you’re not aware, a 15” version of the OE steering wheel is available. Keep up the great work!
Hi Mike.thanks a million.i'm my own worst enemy sometimes, I am too fussy for my own good,sometimes I re-do things to be satisfied. Awful way to be but thats the way it is.i am aware of the smaller version of the OE style wheel.i bought 2 tilt column,this wheel was on one.it will do for a bit.i hope to make it to the Charlotte Autofair in Aoril for the first time in a couple of years,not able to go with covid and the border closed.i have a few things on my shopping list,a new wheel,green dash pad,new arm rest pads,a tach kit and hopefully some hubcaps.i know there's a beautiful set on here now for sale but I still have a transmission to pay for and probably a new rad core so I'm holding back til I see how much more I have to spend.it's all good.take care.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:57 PM   #60
Mike80D

Sounds like a solid plan. That thing is going to be beautiful when you get done. You may not want to drive it!
Old 02-05-2022, 10:32 PM   #61
mr.mud1

Quote:
Sounds like a solid plan. That thing is going to be beautiful when you get done. You may not want to drive it!
Hi.i'll drive it,no worries there.i think it'll turn out nice but it won't sit around the shop looking good.it's supposed to be used and it will.it already had a 25 year snooze.that's enough..take care.Greg
Old 02-06-2022, 10:44 PM   #62
mr.mud1

not a great deal to report today,had a bunch of work to do around here but i did get the drivers side tank off my rad,it was a mess like the other side of course.i made a tool that fit inside the tubes and one at a time,cleaned every tube.i found a few that weren't clear at all and more only partially open.they're all open now and i did get the passenger side of the core clean of all the caked on crud.this core isn't in horrible shape,i may just be able to save it and solder it all back together.i'll decide tomorrow after i clean the other side,then the tanks.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2022, 07:58 PM   #63
mr.mud1

a little update on what's been going on here over the last few days or week?i have mananged to make one step ahead,probably one or two in reverse?i was happy to find my rad core in pretty good shape once i had it all clean and rodded out,was in the process of soldering it all back together.i had one tank on,soldering the other tank on and only a few minutes away from being done,when the rad fell from how i had it situated so i was soldering left to right and letting the solder flow out smooth as glass.i don't know how i managed that but i had a torch in one hand,a roll of solder in the other and down it went.i don't know what it hit on the way to the floor but it crushed several tubes and a million fins and something managed to cut completely through a couple of tubes??i was sick.i turned out the shop lights and called it a day.i ordered a core from a rad shop several hours away from me,the same shop i got a core from to build the rad in my 39 Chyrsler.it'll be in next week he figured,so we'll try this again,with a new core.i picked up my new starter after seeing the condition of the old one,top burned off the solenoid switch,1 screw holding it on,1 missing,brushes worn right down the screws that hold them on and the armature didn't look to healthy,but it started the engine?i didn't turn in the old starter,i'll keep it and overhaul it someday.i painted the Cheyenne Super emblems from the front fenders,once the red and white paint dries well,i'll clean them up before they go back on.i have the "8 400" emblems to do next.i pulled out the 6 original exhaust studs and replaced them with new and painted the exhaust manifolds and baked on the paint in my wife's oven while she was at work today?i'm in trouble now?oh well i've been there before and i'm sure,will be again at some point.it's easier to beg for forgivness than to ask for permission.she said why would you do that?i said cause i don't have an oven in the garage??what's a fella to do?
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2022, 08:02 PM   #64
mr.mud1

a few more pics
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2022, 12:40 AM   #65
McDeezl

Hey Greg
I guess the upside would be ... not telling your wife that you cleaned the small parts for the engine in the dishwasher was the right decision after all :-)
Manifolds look great btw.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:45 AM   #66
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDeezl View Post
Hey Greg
I guess the upside would be ... not telling your wife that you cleaned the small parts for the engine in the dishwasher was the right decision after all :-)
Manifolds look great btw.
yes sir.thanks.i didn't clean any parts in her dishwasher,she should thank me,instead i get grief?my transmission guy called today,my transmission is ready so i'll go get it picked up in the next few days and then this can start to go back together.i love it when a plan comes together.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:19 PM   #67
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

It's looking really nice. What did paint did you use for your emblems? They look great. It's crazy how close the roof and rear windows are on your car, to a 38-40 Ford.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 12:46 PM   #68
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
It's looking really nice. What did paint did you use for your emblems? They look great. It's crazy how close the roof and rear windows are on your car, to a 38-40 Ford.
thanks Ryan.you'd think they'd make that 1 piece of glass?barely room for the stainless trim?on the emblems,i used a little brush and some Gloss White Tremclad paint we have here in Canada,not sure if it's in the States? and Poppy Red Tremclad.i have the "8 400" emblems to do next and they'll be Black Tremclad but i'm leaving in a minute to make the drive to my transmission guy to pick up my turbo 400,next weekend,it with the engine will be going back in where they belong.that'll be real progress although all this other stuff has to be done too?all good.take care.Greg
Old 02-13-2022, 05:25 PM   #69
mr.mud1

i only have a little update today.i went yesterday to get my transmission and torque convertor from the man who rebuilt it for me.today i cleaned more of the trans,installed the rear seal,convertor and cleaned the flex plate,then i repainted the black on the "8 400" fender emblems.i think they came out looking pretty good.i scrubbed clean the flexplate.i think tomorrow,we'll get the engine off the stand,the flexplate installed and the engine married back up to the transmission and get this back together.someday next week,i should hear that my rad core is in and i can get that picked up and build my rad cause i will soon need one.knocked off early,time to watch some football.all good.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2022, 09:13 PM   #70
Mike80D

I know that had to be a bummer about the radiator. The manifolds came out "well done" they look great! Nice work on the emblems as well, talk about a steady hand. Thanks for bringing us along!
Old 02-14-2022, 10:51 PM   #71
mr.mud1

Quote:
I know that had to be a bummer about the radiator. The manifolds came out "well done" they look great! Nice work on the emblems as well, talk about a steady hand. Thanks for bringing us along!
hi Mike,thanks.it's coming along,can't wait to see the engine and trans back where they belong,later this week it'll happen.i cheated a little on the emblems,i really didn't do much,i let gravity paint them for me.i dropped a few drops of paint in where i wanted it and tilted the emblems this way and then that,and watched the paint flow into where i needed it.when gravity ran out of paint,i'd add some more.pretty slick.i was ill when the rad was laying there on the floor.i wasn't fit to talk to for a day or 2 but i got over it.it's nothing some more money won't fix but i've spent a ton more than what a bunch of oil leaks should've cost but what are you going to do,fix it right or don't bother is how i operate.it'll be worth it in the end.stay tuned later in the week,we'll see the engine and trans back in between the frame rails.take care.Greg
Old 02-17-2022, 12:28 AM   #72
mr.mud1

there's nothing too exciting to report today.i still have to marry up my engine to the transmission and have it make it's way back into my truck and that will happen in the next couple of days.the new rad core i ordered is in at the rad shop,i'll get that picked up in the next few days.i still have some small parts to get ready,not to thrilling but has to be done.i did get the 3 beat up hubcaps i've found,cleaned up and looking as good as i can make them look,not great or even good but better than nothing for now.headlight rings are cleaned and polished,ready to re-install.i had a bunch of clips that were dipped in plastic from the factory,all needing re-done and they are,i have the heat stove from the exhaust manifold repaired and repainted,the fender emblems re-painted and today polished the chrome now that the paint has dried.i spent several hours cleaning grease,oil, and dirt from one front fender and hood hinge,the other tomorrow,as i say not exciting work but has to be done and i wanted all that stuff done before i start to re-install the engine and trans,i don't want to have to stop to clean something.i want that part of this done,so progress just the same.engine campartment decals arrived,waiting on GM heater hose and more Wittek clamps.yesterday after i discovered the end of the harness that attaches to the kickdown switch on the side of the turbo 400 was in poor shape,i got a new one ordered and it's on the way now from American Autowire.it'll all come together.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2022, 07:43 AM   #73
Happy_dan

It's amazing how one job turns into a lot more once you start.
Looking great Greg!
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:20 AM   #74
mr.mud1

who da thunk,a bunch of oil leaks would turn into this??it's ok,i'll have a better truck in the end.thanks for your help Dan.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:39 PM   #75
mr.mud1

a little progress today but it doesn't look like much.i spent way too long cleaning the other fender on the inside?something wrong with my head spending time cleaning stuff that nobody will see but i know it's clean so that's all i need.i got both hood hinges cleaned and ready to reinstall once the fenders are back on.i tapped all the threaded holes in the fenders to make sure they were clean and removed the upper narrow moldings from the fenders as this is going for paint work on the to top section once the truck is all back together.i have the engine bolted to the transmission and ready to slide into the truck,my finest quality chinese engine crane doesn't roll worth a crap with all that weight on it.i have a buddy coming from Halifax on Saturday to lend a hand.i don't need a hand but another set surely can't hurt so i'll wait til Saturday before i try pushing it around myself.my new rad core is in at the rad shop and will be here Saturday so tomorrow i have to finish up a quadrajet for my friend for saturday for his 72 truck, the power steering resevoir to finish cleaning and paint and a few other small parts to paint.it'll be purring like a kitten in no time.
Attached Images