The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
Jrainman

92-97 LT 1 vs L31 vortec

witch engine LT 1 or L31 would you choose , stock , Give me your opinions . and why you would choose one over the other ,
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
truckster

Re: 92-97 LT 1 vs L31 vortec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
witch engine LT 1 or L31 would you choose , stock , Give me your opinions . and why you would choose one over the other ,
I own both, and the LT1 in my Z28 is amazing. I can smoke the tires from a standing start, and that's with an automatic transmission and 2.72 rear gears.

But the L31 is a better design from a service/dependability point of view. The Optispark is the LT1's weak spot, and they're not being manufactured new by GM, meaning that your options are aftermarket or remanufactured, which run close to $500. I think you'll be happier with the L31 in the long run. The L31 is going in my Blazer.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I own both, and the LT1 in my Z28 is amazing. I can smoke the tires from a standing start, and that's with an automatic transmission and 2.72 rear gears.

But the L31 is a better design from a service/dependability point of view. The Optispark is the LT1's weak spot, and they're not being manufactured new by GM, meaning that your options are aftermarket or remanufactured, which run close to $500. I think you'll be happier with the L31 in the long run. The L31 is going in my Blazer.
Wow 5hudi is steep , So even the upgraded vacum port version they have reliablity issues .
Old 04-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #4
truckster

The ported ones (that's what I have) are much more reliable, but they're still the weak link. I have almost 160,000 on mine, but I know it's eventually going to cost big bucks to keep it going.

If you plan to eventually modify the engine, I think the Vortec L31 gives you more options as well.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
85raiderburban

i ve had two '93 firebirds, one with year matching and one with a 96. They are a dogs compared to everything else ive driven (BBC, PONTIAC 455). The opti**** "distributor" is a joke beyond any doubt. No idea how they came up with such a silly and unreliable design. The rubber grommet next to the throttle body cracked and wouldnt let the engine fire. Vortec is way more reliable than LT1.

"oh yea lets mount it under the water pump because electricity and water are a great combo".
- GM in late '91

Yea they like to rev high and have little torque compared to the 350 Vortec. Both my birds had terrible launch from deadstop compared to my 87 longbed that i swapped an L31 into.
85raiderburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
Jrainman

Big thumbs up on being a Firechicken man , And I have oredered a GM L31 R Vortec there was a Ls1 newly rebuilt in my area for a good price that is why I asked the question after reading about the LS1 I went with the vortec thanks though for the insight, My first car witch I still own , I Painted a house for it in 1975 long story to how I got it but it is a very rare 69 Firechicken convertable with the T/A package..... II dont even like to make this public cause the offers on do you want to sell it become insanly re lent less . 20 years ago where I use to reside I had to litterly fence my intire property in and buy a guard dog just because of the walk up offers that would bang on my door............ but anyhow I am firebird guy also
Old 04-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
85raiderburban

Quote:
Big thumbs up on being a Firechicken man , And I have oredered a GM L31 R Vortec there was a Ls1 newly rebuilt in my area for a good price that is why I asked the question after reading about the LS1 I went with the vortec thanks though for the insight
till the grave im doin my part to keep the true Pontiac V8 alive. And our crowd has gotten bigger since the aftermarket exploded into the modern times. the ls1 is similar to the lt1. It likes to rev high and has less torque than an L31. Many will tell you different but ive had one and wasn't impressed, especially with the fact they have cc's in those "cathedral port" heads are SMALLER than Pontiac RA III and IV heads, ls should have more torque with those specs. If you hadn't found another Vortec motor, i would have suggested the L31 heads on an 80's SBC. Really wakes it up.

Quote:
My first car witch I still own , I Painted a house for it in 1975 long story to how I got it but it is a very rare 69 Firechicken convertable with the T/A package..... II dont even like to make this public cause the offers on do you want to sell it become insanly re lent less . 20 years ago where I use to reside I had to litterly fence my intire property in and buy a guard dog just because of the walk up offers that would bang on my door............ but anyhow I am firebird guy also
AWESOME! im so glad the few 7xx owners don't advertise their rides because of what you've said. Also to keep the lsx crowd away from ruining a tin indian. too many 1st gen birds ive seen with ls swaps and its disgraceful. Yea i plan on doing the same with guard dogs so offers dont come randomly and unexpected.
85raiderburban is offline   Reply With Quote