The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
350rs

New to forum, 68 C20

Like i said im new to the forum. Currently own a 1968 C20 LWB. Its been in the family since new on the farm. Been a GREAT truck. Talk about a over worked life. The bed is roller coastered out from being over loaded so many times. The rear end has been rebuilt as well due to over loading. And as yall know thats a hell of a rear end in these trucks. Back when they use to build them. We put a brand new ( not a rebuild ) 350 4 bolt in it in 2000. Its nothing special. 4bbl edelbrock carb with a good towing cam in it. We used it to tow our campers and haul a load of firewood or dirt or whatever needed to be pulled or hauled. Still do! Use the truck as a truck and nothing but!! That 4 speed granny low tranny gets a good workout from time to time too. But i tell ya, cant break that bastard. Would you believe its all original body panels too? Aside from the tailgate which got smashed some years back by a tractor. Shes startin to show some rust here and there though. Going to get to that before it become too cancerous.

Last summer bought a 1980 K20 LWB that we are gonna swap the body onto. Got tired of getting stuck on flat ground with a little bit of mud. The "doner" truck has a tired 350 in it that will be replaced with the newer one. Also believed to have a th-400 in it with the 203( I think?) tcase. The biggest seller to us was the corporate 14 bolt rear. Bad thing is it only has like a 3:42 ratio or something like that? Kinda high for what we use it for, but we will see how it does.

Im on here for tips and tricks about the swap mostly. Ive asked one person who has done the exact same thing with the same two trucks. Said all he had to do was move the body mounts and move the rear in 4". Other than that it was pretty straight forward. Is that the basic idea behind it or is there more to it?

Pic is old, but nothing has changed except the tires. Lemme know what yall think!
Attached Images

350rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
350rs

Re: New to forum, 68 C20

also forgot to mention. Shortly ( as in a few months shortly ) after the engine replacement, we purchased a 2001 2500HD thanks to GMs 0% financing back in 2000!! Crew cab short bed 4x4 with the 6.0 in it. ALMOST got the 8.1. Glad i didnt simply because of fuel costs. They were and still are too proud of that duramax, as much as i would like to have one, its just out of my range right now. But we pull our camper and boat with that. At only 70k miles, that truck has been NOTHING but spectacular for us. Only major issue we had was a exhaust stud broke off right under the brake booster more or less. The far back one against the firewall. Spent a few days getting that sucker out. But its out and replaced. Runs quiet again. Such a nice truck. Cant wait for my next one, if this truck ever breaks down!! lol
Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
luifer76

Welcome to the site.....
Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
1ATony

welcome to the site, great looking truck!
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote