The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
Xavier

327 alternate temp and oil pressure sensor locations

I'll be installing a Sniper EFI and according to Holley the stock style temperature sensor won't work with the Sniper and the stock oil pressure gauge is mechanical.

Are there any alternate locations to put the Sniper sensors or are T's my best option?
Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: 327 alternate temp and oil pressure sensor locations

There MAY be another tap into the oiling system next to the oil filter. You'd have to look. On a SBC the oil pressure line is attached at the back of the block next to the distributor, yes?

As far as water temp, where is your sensor now? There are later model thermostat housings that have provision for one or more devices to be installed. Look at '72 and newer ones at the parts store. Something may work. Those housings usually had 1/4" or 3/8" pipe tapped holes for emissions equipment. Might be too small?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
Xavier

The temp sensor is somewhere between the headers near cylinders 1 and 3.
Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
MARKDTN

Just making sure I understand what you want to do; you want to leave the original mechanical oil pressure line and temp sensor for the gauge and add coolant temp and oil pressure sensors that will talk to the Holley computer?

If so, I would leave the original temp sensor alone and maybe the oil pressure too. If you have a port above the oil filter, you can add the oilk switch there. You can add a tee for oil pressure at the back but it's harder with an HEI if you have one. If you have a junkyard with 80s/90s stuff, a van had a nice 45 fitting that gets the original sensor out from the HEI (trucks have them too, just harder to get to). You could add a tee to that and put the new sensor up and the old tube down/back. The water temp is a bit trickier. What intake do you have? If it is aftermarket, you likely have a spot for another sensor drivers side. You could try to put it in the passenger side head, but that plug is hard to remove usually. You could get a later thermostat neck and add the sensor there. You do not want to tee the one in the head as you will not get enough flow and neither will read right. Coolant temp is very important on EFI engine fuel mapping so it needs to be in a decent spot.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #5
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
Just making sure I understand what you want to do; you want to leave the original mechanical oil pressure line and temp sensor for the gauge and add coolant temp and oil pressure sensors that will talk to the Holley computer?

If so, I would leave the original temp sensor alone and maybe the oil pressure too. If you have a port above the oil filter, you can add the oilk switch there. You can add a tee for oil pressure at the back but it's harder with an HEI if you have one. If you have a junkyard with 80s/90s stuff, a van had a nice 45 fitting that gets the original sensor out from the HEI (trucks have them too, just harder to get to). You could add a tee to that and put the new sensor up and the old tube down/back. The water temp is a bit trickier. What intake do you have? If it is aftermarket, you likely have a spot for another sensor drivers side. You could try to put it in the passenger side head, but that plug is hard to remove usually. You could get a later thermostat neck and add the sensor there. You do not want to tee the one in the head as you will not get enough flow and neither will read right. Coolant temp is very important on EFI engine fuel mapping so it needs to be in a decent spot.
I have been saving a pair of 461 "camel hump" heads for that special project... Neither of them have a tapped hole into the water jacket.. If I'm not mistaken, the hole didn't appear until later when the SBC started getting strict emission controls..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
I have been saving a pair of 461 "camel hump" heads for that special project... Neither of them have a tapped hole into the water jacket.. If I'm not mistaken, the hole didn't appear until later when the SBC started getting strict emission controls..
He said in post 3 his sensor was between the header tubes so he has later heads with the place for a sensor. Even so, that pipe plug can be a beast to get out of the RH head so many years later. I would try to find a place in the intake.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #7
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
He said in post 3 his sensor was between the header tubes so he has later heads with the place for a sensor. Even so, that pipe plug can be a beast to get out of the RH head so many years later. I would try to find a place in the intake.
My point exactly..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote