The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
mrhino
Account Suspended

new glass install

What is the best method for installing new glass in the side windows? I know LMC sales a new rubber to squeeze in the regulator channel, but I was thinking of gluing it in, with a window or glass adhesive. any thoughts?
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
AirSpeed

Re: new glass install

I used a bead of silicone on my 69 15 years ago and it's still holding up just fine, I recently restored my 72 and used the same thing. I actually tried some of that glass setting tape and couldn't get it to work so I went ahead with the silicone. I cleaned out the channel and wiped down the bottom edge of the glass with alcohol, filled the channel with a bead of silicone and inserted the glass. After letting it sit overnight I trimmed of the excess silicone and installed the glass
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
71 super

The rubber setting tape lmc sells does not work very well, go to a glass shop and get some from them, it works as it should and is cheap.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I used a bead of silicone on my 69 15 years ago and it's still holding up just fine, I recently restored my 72 and used the same thing. I actually tried some of that glass setting tape and couldn't get it to work so I went ahead with the silicone. I cleaned out the channel and wiped down the bottom edge of the glass with alcohol, filled the channel with a bead of silicone and inserted the glass. After letting it sit overnight I trimmed of the excess silicone and installed the glass
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Did you use the tape from LMC that 71 super was talking about?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
swamp rat

This was just posted about 3 weeks ago and the thread has links to youtube of the install, try the search feature for windshield install ect..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
Did you use the tape from LMC that 71 super was talking about?
I cant remember if I got it from LMC or Classic Parts, the stuff I got kept tearing and bunching up as I pressed the glass in the track, I tried it several times and finally just gave up and used the silicone. I have a stack of receipts from the suppliers I used last winter to restore my truck, I will look through and see if I can find out where I bought. I honestly cant say for sure if it was the tape or the way I was using it, I am usually very good at that kind of stuff but I did have a lot of trouble with the tape. I will take a look and check back in a bit.

Update, I found the order, I got it from LMC.

Last edited by AirSpeed; 11-16-2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: found order
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

[QUOTE=AirSpeed;4296328]I used a bead of silicone on my 69 15 years ago and it's still holding up just fine, I recently restored my 72 and used the same thing. I actually tried some of that glass setting tape and couldn't get it to work so I went ahead with the silicone. I cleaned out the channel and wiped down the bottom edge of the glass with alcohol, filled the channel with a bead of silicone and inserted the glass. After letting it sit overnight I trimmed of the excess silicone and installed the glass
QUOTE]

I have used silicone many times and never had any issues. Just clean the channel as stated above and let it dry!

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
superchevy
Got big-block?

I just went through this installing the 1-piece window glass in my '72 K25. The window setting tape from Brothers and LMC does not work correctly. I spent 3 hours...that's right, 3 hours...trying to install the passenger side glass into the sash using the tape. I tried heating it with a heat gun...tried using a silicone lubricant...tried beating it with a rubber hammer. Finally, I was able to get it seated about 3/4s of the way into the channel and called it good. I was so pissed off I called it a day and went home to watch the Horns get destroyed by OSU...not a good day.
Sunday morning I tackled the drivers side. Ran a bead of black urethane in the sash channel...screw that tape...dropped the glass in...took 5 minutes! Let it dry all day...trimmed off the excess...perfect!
Here's some pics:
Attached Images

'72 Corvette convertible 454/4spd/ac, ps, pb

'73 GMC Sierra Grande short wide 454/T400 ps, pb, ac

'77 K5 Blazer black on red, 350/T350/NP205 ps, pb, ac all original

'78 GMC Sierra Classic short wide 454/T400 ps, pb, ac

'72 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 38 built.
'73 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 71 built.
'75 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 25 built.

SOLD! '72 GMC K25 4x4 468/4L80e/NP205
build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...23#post4324423

SOLD!'55 Chevy gasser 496/4spd
build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...96#post4324396
superchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchevy View Post
I just went through this installing the 1-piece window glass in my '72 K25. The window setting tape from Brothers and LMC does not work correctly. I spent 3 hours...that's right, 3 hours...trying to install the passenger side glass into the sash using the tape. I tried heating it with a heat gun...tried using a silicone lubricant...tried beating it with a rubber hammer. Finally, I was able to get it seated about 3/4s of the way into the channel and called it good. I was so pissed off I called it a day and went home to watch the Horns get destroyed by OSU...not a good day.
Sunday morning I tackled the drivers side. Ran a bead of black urethane in the sash channel...screw that tape...dropped the glass in...took 5 minutes! Let it dry all day...trimmed off the excess...perfect!
Here's some pics:
Looks good. im on my way to the local glass shop today and see what they got.