The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
ray_mcavoy

Question RPO E81 Fleetside Wood Floor

Hi folks,

Just curious to see if anyone else here has a fleetside with the optional E81 wood floor.

I've heard that they were fairly rare and the only one I've ever seen is the one in Dad's 77 GMC. Grampa bought the truck new and ordered it with the wood floor. Here's an old pic of what was left of the original floor before we started the restoration:

Restoring this proved to be a bit of a challenge. Most of the special steel "flange" pieces that join the wood to the bedsides & wheel tubs were pretty rusty. So was the rear cross sill that (unlike the steel floor one) has a notch to hold the ends of the boards. After lots of searching, we found a sheetmetal fab shop that was able to make some really nice replacement pieces using the old rusty ones as templates. We bought the pine board kit, bed strips, etc. from MAR-K Classic Truck Parts.

Another pic of the restored bed:

And one of the truck:

Anyone else have a 73-up fleetside with a wood floor? Please post some pics.

Ray
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Ceeten

Re: RPO E81 Fleetside Wood Floor

Never saw a fleetside with a wood floor. That looks really nice!
Ceeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
Anadrol

Looks incredible.
Makes me really wish I could have that.
Anadrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

My old 75 fleetside had a wood floor...emphasis on HAD...LoL

Last edited by bigblock73; 12-15-2009 at 07:00 AM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I don't have a wood bed floor, but that is a beautiful truck, Ray.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
JohnC

I've heard of the wood floors in the early square bodies, but I have never seen one. That looks awesome. You guys did a great job on it!
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
nekkidhillbilly

there was a dually crew on cl with a wood floor
1984 k20
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
dan76

Nice bed restoration
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
BIGMAC68

It is my understanding that the wood floor option lasted until 1980 and was for long bed fleets only. VERY NICELY DONE!!!!!
BIGMAC68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
JohnC

Thanks for the info James. I wonder how many were actually produced?
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
nekkidhillbilly

they look cool but i wonder y lb fleets got them since there the most worked trucks
1984 k20
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
Damien

That looks really nice. My mom had a '76 K20 with the wood floor. Its beed about 15 years since she got rid of the truck. I saw a '78 with a wood bed in a salvage yard about a month ago.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I have heard of them, but that's the nicest one I have every seen.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #14
f.monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
they look cool but i wonder y lb fleets got them since there the most worked trucks
Because you could ad tall side rails and haul livestock . The animals wouldnt slip as bad on the wooden floor as they would have on steel . Remember that back in the day , not every rancher had a trailer and the 8 foot truck bed had to do .

On another note , the bed would have been completely painted from the factory , boards and all , but that is WAY nicer . That bed is beautiful !
Frank
Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
Stitch
Account Suspended

could you retro fit a steel floor with this by taking the steel floor out and installing the wood floor somehow...I'm sure the bedsides, front wall and wheel wells are the same...just wondering...would love to have this in my truck...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #16
Tex_50613
Redneck Customs Bumpers, IA

I have one off a 75 chevy that's hanging out, all original, the wood is still in good shape but the sheetmetal is going to pot, I was running it on my 79 after ditching the flatbed that was on the truck, mine was origanally under a topper and the guy had oiled it yearly from what he told me, it got oiled after it came tinto my posisition too, but old motor oil stained it fairly bad, good job and it looks awesome
Tex_50613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #17
Stitch
Account Suspended

Tex, is there anyway that you can take some pics of the sides, front, and back from underneath the bed, also around the wheel wells, so I can see exactly how everything is mounted up...thanks

Chuck.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #18
Tex_50613

Thumbs up Re: RPO E81 Fleetside Wood Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hoe View Post
Tex, is there anyway that you can take some pics of the sides, front, and back from underneath the bed, also around the wheel wells, so I can see exactly how everything is mounted up...thanks

Chuck.
as soon as I can I will, it's under a 6' deep snowdrift rite now and if it wasn't for the antinna on my rollbar that is setting in it I would have smoked it and my spair longbox fraim with the tractor moving snow (the bed is setting on the fraim and the rollbar is setting sideways in the bed) and to let ya know the main diffrence you will find is a flange around the wheelwells

Last edited by Tex_50613; 12-17-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #19
ray_mcavoy

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGMAC68
It is my understanding that the wood floor option lasted until 1980 and was for long bed fleets only. VERY NICELY DONE!!!!!
I remember reading that somewhere too. Evidently there wasn't enough demand for them so GM decided to discontinue the option after 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe
On another note , the bed would have been completely painted from the factory , boards and all , but that is WAY nicer . That bed is beautiful !
Frank
We actually thought about painting the boards to duplicate the factory original look. But the new boards were just too nice looking to cover up the natural woodgrain with paint so we decided to finish them with some urethane spar varnish instead. I'm glad we did ... I think it looks a lot nicer than painted boards too.

Ray
Old 12-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #20
Tex_50613

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGMAC68 View Post
78 lb stepsides and 76 sb stepsides you could also get it, I had one of each with original wood floors in them in the last 10 years know I have the lb fleetside off a 75 still as I already stated and just was talking with my brother and he says that I still have the sb stepside with a wood floor out back of my father's place
Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #21
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_50613 View Post
as soon as I can I will, it's under a 6' deep snowdrift rite now and if it wasn't for the antinna on my rollbar that is setting in it I would have smoked it and my spair longbox fraim with the tractor moving snow (the bed is setting on the fraim and the rollbar is setting sideways in the bed) and to let ya know the main diffrence you will find is a flange around the wheelwells
So what your saying is that it's a good possibility that the wheel wells and all the sides are the same? The brackets are just mounted to the sides where the metal floor would mount and the wheel wells have a flange around them?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #22
Tex_50613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hoe View Post
So what your saying is that it's a good possibility that the wheel wells and all the sides are the same? The brackets are just mounted to the sides where the metal floor would mount and the wheel wells have a flange around them?
on mine the flange and wheelwell is one peice, the box sides and front are the same from steel to wood, and you can modify the rear rail can easly from a steel floored box to accept wood, you can get repro strips in bare steel or crome from LMC or JC Whitney last I knew the hard parts are the flange on the floor and corect sub-floor rails but with some fab skills the steel floor rails could be easly changed
Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #23
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Hoe

Chuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_50613
...and to let ya know the main diffrence you will find is a flange around the wheelwells
Chuck, I can take some additional pics for you as well. If you're at all familiar with the wood floors in the 60-66 or 67-72 fleetsides, these are pretty similar in terms of how the wood is fastened down to the cross sills. Carriage bolts go down through the steel strips, pass through the gap between the boards, go through the cross sills, and are secured with nuts. The cross sills are mounted upside down (open side down) as compared to steel floor ones (and they aren't quite as tall since the boards are thicker).

As Tex said, the main difference is the flange. It's not just around the wheelwells though. There are a total of 9 flange pieces. Four that bolt up to the bedsides, four that bolt to the wheelwells, and one that bolts to the front bed panel. Carriage bolts pass down through the flanges, through the wood, and (in many cases) through the cross sills, and are secured with nuts on the bottom.

Here's an old pic I took during the teardown. All the wood has been taken out. So have all but one of the cross sills. The special flange pices are still attached to the bedsides, wheelwells, and front panel. This pic also shows the notch in the rear cross sill that the ends of the boards fit into (another important difference).
Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #24
f.monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Thanks for the compliments everyone!!

I remember reading that somewhere too. Evidently there wasn't enough demand for them so GM decided to discontinue the option after 80.

We actually thought about painting the boards to duplicate the factory original look. But the new boards were just too nice looking to cover up the natural woodgrain with paint so we decided to finish them with some urethane spar varnish instead. I'm glad we did ... I think it looks a lot nicer than painted boards too.

Ray
I think you made the right choice Ray . It definitely looks better the way that you restored it than the factory ever did . I would love to find a factory wood bed for my 77 long bed . It adds so much class to the trucks .
Frank
Frank
Old 12-17-2009, 12:55 AM   #25
Stitch
Account Suspended

can the metal floor be unbolted from the bedsides and front panel by itself without taking the bed off the truck...if so, I think I could fab something up quite easily...