The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Hammond68

Monster Transmission,my story.

I would post here more often except I've got to type with my phone.
I ordered a 2500 stall converter for my 72 c10 on December 17th. I just spoke with them and I am supposed to have a tracking number within the next 45 minutes.
When I placed this order i assumed it would get in the mail that day or the next. I called back on the 21st looking for a tracking number. The guy said they have to make them as they are ordered. He said mine would be finished and mailed on the 26th-27th, I'd have it before new years. I called again yesterday, they said it was done and was in shipping. As of now I have no tracking number. I am canceling the order if I have no tracking number today.
Whenever I mention canceling it i get told what I want to hear. Not what is reality. I would not want to wait 3 weeks if it were free,let alone 250 plus shipping.
I've humored myself thinking at least it will be a high quality stall. I found some of their reviews on pissed consumer, after scrolling past around 20 websites all monster of course. The dates of the complaints against them are about every 3 days there's a new one.
They do have a warranty but who's going to keep paying shipping and pulling their engine. If it goes bad quick I won't want another.
I've got to stop ordering from the sites and start calling them in. There was no mention of the wait time on the site.
I'll update as things move along.
Hammond68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Monster Transmission,my story.

There are benefits to buying from parts houses like Summit and Jegs . What makes Monster better than any other converter supplier ?

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...rsistYmm=false

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
Hammond68

Hello grumpy.
They had the best price and had it listed on their site. I figured it would be of good quality as they've got a name and reputation to protect.

I just received a call stating they have sent me an email with the tracking info. I checked my email but not there yet.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:56 PM   #4
Hammond68

The email did come with the tracking number.

The torque converter is for a 700r4 lock up style. Alot of what I seen on jegs or summit was non lock up. I should have called them though.

Hopefully it all works out and I get a good one.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
Grumpy old man

I'm not an auto guy but every town has a auto trans shop , Most every city has a trans parts supplier , I don't think I would ever buy a mail order trans/parts and would use the local guys to get what I needed trans wise . It just seems to me that in the long run a local builder/ supplier would service your needs better than having to ship large parts back for warranty ? For performance parts I'd probably hit the local drag strip or car club to ask questions if I wasn't sure before buying big parts online .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
72c20customcamper

Have never heard anything good about their transmissions but then again the only people who say anything have had a bad experience with them . Hopefully they outsource the converters.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #7
sick472

I really hope everything works out for you in a great way. Grumpy does have a point about dealing local for tranny stuff, especially the parts that are costly to ship. It's too easy for shipping costs to pile up and make the returns and warranty hassle actually worth while. The scammers know that and capitalize on it at our expense.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #8
hjewell2

Transmission Specialties
TRANSMISSION SPECIALTIES IS HOME OF THE LARGEST SUPPLIER OF HIGH PERFORMANCE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, PERFORMANCE PARTS AND TORQUE CONVERTER PARTS WORLDWIDE

never had a problem with any converter I purchased from them,, give em a try
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #9
Coley

....buck the digital trend.

Buy local, face to face.....usually works best.
A torque converter is not a moon rocket and local shops in business for more than 10 years will know how to do one for you.

Leave online shopping for purses and summer shoes, lol.

all good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #10
LEEVON

If you get your money back and go local, and you want a little hotter converter, there is a stock s-10 version that has a rated stall speed of 2200-2400. Have them do a few basic 700R4 upgrades like sunshell, clutches, servo, etc. (they all have their own recipe). Works great in several of mine with small cams. $900-1100 carry in usually.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
Greasey Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
....buck the digital trend.

Buy local, face to face.....usually works best.
A torque converter is not a moon rocket and local shops in business for more than 10 years will know how to do one for you.

Leave online shopping for purses and summer shoes, lol.

all good
Coley
^^^THIS^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I'm not an auto guy but every town has a auto trans shop , Most every city has a trans parts supplier , I don't think I would ever buy a mail order trans/parts and would use the local guys to get what I needed trans wise . It just seems to me that in the long run a local builder/ supplier would service your needs better than having to ship large parts back for warranty ? For performance parts I'd probably hit the local drag strip or car club to ask questions if I wasn't sure before buying big parts online .
^^^AND THIS^^^
I once bought a 700r4 and TC from an online company [that shall remain nameless].
Great price, great sales pitch.
Got the trans, paid a veteran mechanic to install it and ...IT DIDN'T WORK.
No problem , just remove the transmission, crate it up and ship it back to Florida. "We'll take care of it".
I sold that trans as a core and never looked back.

Lesson learned.
I buy things like transmissions locally. Got a guy named Randy that builds my slush boxes now, and if they don't work properly ...I just go see Randy and he makes it right.

Buy local.
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:29 PM   #12
Hammond68

Local is not an option. I'm an hour and half away from everywhere. Leevon,900 to 1100 for a stall converter is out of my budget. I'd have to take on sponsors and don't want anyone's name printed on the side of my truck.

I may end up with a refund yet. I kinda think they just printed the shipping label for the tracking number. If no info comes up by 200 tomorrow then that's what happened.

Custom camper. No they claim to build them.

Hjewell2. I'll give them a call if nothing happens with the tracking number and i end up getting a refund.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:32 PM   #13
AJs72K5

There's plenty of horror stories about Monster, including mine. Do your homework on any major purchase like this. I'm more than happy to share the detail of the mess I got from Monster.

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff

Last edited by AJs72K5; 01-04-2019 at 11:51 AM.
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:03 AM   #14
Lancialonnie

I must admit that while I feel bad for what Hammond68 is going through, it reinforces my recent 700R4 purchase from the local shop that has been in town for a long time. While I had to wait nearly 6 months, from what I've been told by several of his customers, it is worth the wait. Warranty and personalized service to get the odo calibrated and any adjustments needed after driving as far as shift points and anything else that is needed. I also had a local performance shop do the install and it was installed in less than a week! I will have it back tomorrow or Monday depending on when the driveshaft comes back. I am very excited and hope to see some improvement in gas mileage!
Lancialonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:57 AM   #15
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

The last converter I got was from spec-rite in redding ca. And couldn't have been happier with the customer service and did exactly what i asked .
Old 01-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #16
Overdriven

My father bought a 200r4 with converter from monster to replace the th350 in a Nova. He had it shipped to the shop doing the instal and it was there within 2 weeks. No complaints from the shop, everything went smooth and he put about 10k trouble free miles on it before selling the car. This was at least 5 years ago though, seems like they’ve gone downhill since then which is sad to hear.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #17
Hammond68

Hopefully the quality is there for me. It did finally get shipped. It'll be here Monday.

I don't know enough about them to badmouth them to much but they were misleading on the time frame. It just seems that if they were reputable they would have been upfront about the time lag.

Honesty would have been really nice and would have uped my opinion of them.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #18
Killer Bee

monsters are scary
Old 01-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #19
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond68 View Post
Local is not an option. I'm an hour and half away from everywhere. Leevon,900 to 1100 for a stall converter is out of my budget. I'd have to take on sponsors and don't want anyone's name printed on the side of my truck.

I may end up with a refund yet. I kinda think they just printed the shipping label for the tracking number. If no info comes up by 200 tomorrow then that's what happened.

Custom camper. No they claim to build them.

Hjewell2. I'll give them a call if nothing happens with the tracking number and i end up getting a refund.

You will be happy with their service.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:07 PM   #20
4carbcorvair

I was looking at their transmissions when my 97 GMC needed a 4l60. The negative comments seemed to far outweigh the good. I ended up getting a GM reman with a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty. No good local shops near me.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:27 AM   #21
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
monsters are scary
They get me with that one all the time.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote