The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #1
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Anti-Window Rattle Seals

I bought a window seal kit (GMCPauls) and I am having a bear of a time with the Window rattle kit (chrome trimmed). The best that I can tell the bottom window grove as it comes up it can't get over the new Anti-Window Rattle Seals. This is on top of these things were two long and I had to trim them.

What am I missing here? At this point I am reverting to the old outer seal and the new inner is still giving me fits - I have to push the window out with my palm of my hand, near the triangle to get it over the new seal.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Anti-Window Rattle Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
I bought a window seal kit (GMCPauls) and I am having a bear of a time with the Window rattle kit (chrome trimmed). The best that I can tell the bottom window grove as it comes up it can't get over the new Anti-Window Rattle Seals. This is on top of these things were two long and I had to trim them.

What am I missing here? At this point I am reverting to the old outer seal and the new inner is still giving me fits - I have to push the window out with my palm of my hand, near the triangle to get it over the new seal.
When you removed the old seals, it's possible you bent the lips of the door opening in toward each other, thus closing the gap.. Also, it's possible you don't have the seal clips fully seated in the hole..

Question: Why did you have to trim the seals. You do know that there are left and right side to those seals, don't you???. I recently replaced all the rubber parts, channels, and regulators on my '71.. Not to sound like I'm trashing GMCPauls, but I got everything from Classic Industries and all the parts fit perfectly, no trimming needed..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

1st, yes I can tell there are left and right, which I can tell by the notch. With that said, they are simply to long. I matched them up to the ones I pulled, they were longer. Not a great deal but there wasn't anyway they would fit without bowing.

Thanks for that tip, perhaps they are pulled just enough to cause it catch the lip of the lower window brace thing. I'll give lip / holes a careful push in.

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 05-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #4
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I gave up, even if these things were perfect they aren't now. They are all messed up me with taking them in/out to many times trying to figure how to get them installed where my window will roll up!

100% sure I am a moron and mucked them up. So I am ordering some from Classic Industries.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:52 AM   #5
Accelo

I have been wondering if these seals are any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59VbYcX5H3U

I am not 100% sure these are the seals you are writing about.
They are the inside and outside horizontal seals where the window disappears into the door.
Seems like a good idea.
Feedback from someone that has tried them would be appreciated.
Rick
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:20 AM   #6
lil hoodlum

Quote:
I gave up, even if these things were perfect they aren't now. They are all messed up me with taking them in/out to many times trying to figure how to get them installed where my window will roll up!

100% sure I am a moron and mucked them up. So I am ordering some from Classic Industries.
I've mucked up quite a few things.... You are all good.... Just a part of learning in life. I only have window rattle seals in the passenger side as I screwed up the drivers side ones. I have heard the "Prescion" spelling, brand is the one to get.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:22 AM   #7
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I found this Video for Precision Replacement Parts WFK 1110 67 C - Beltline Molding Kit on their site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vueu...placementParts

Interesting, I have that tool in the video - I used it to pull the tabs for my 72 door cover (great for those little push plastic christmas trees). Though I had watched the brother's video and he used a hook to yank them out.

What GMCPauls sent me are in fact Precision (just relooked at the bags) and they are two long. In their own install video of their product, the notch goes in and the opposite end buts up to the door edge. The ones I got do not. This is how my original fits, the notch goes in and then butts up door edge, like in their video.

Photos attached of the outer - I mean am I being daft?
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
Accelo

Rich:
I am getting close to installing the same Precision seals on my truck. This thread is interesting for that reason. BTW love the Medium Bronze color.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #9
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Accelo, thank you. Sadly I nicked / scratched my paint at the top when I took out my triangle window. Not sure why I didn't think to put tape up there but I let the window slip and it got at a odd angle when I was taking it out.

I think the fuzzy one is okay in length, as it shows to be installed behind the window channel seal. Though my "original" didn't. I wished I had found/watched the Precision video 1st. I have a message into them about my troubles, hopefully they'll respond and give me some insight (perhaps even a deal on replacing the ones I can't use). As they are all whacky now and there is no chance getting the geometry right.

Please do lets us know how you get on with the install - I bet it goes smooth as silk for you!

Old 05-09-2021, 10:23 AM   #10
Accelo

Can you post the URL for the install video?
Just had my wing windows rebuilt and re-chomed. They should be here Monday. The window fun will begin then.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #11
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

It's in my reply but here it is again

If yours goes perfectly, then at least something good came of my post and muck up. Though I'd be interested how your outer lines up. Watch the video from Precision and then see if your outer butts up to the outer edge of the seal/door line or shows to go over - like it perhaps wants to install between the seal and the door (like they show for the inner fuzzy one).

Old 05-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #12
RustyPile

Quote:
It's in my reply but here it is again

If yours goes perfectly, then at least something good came of my post and muck up. Though I'd be interested how your outer lines up. Watch the video from Precision and then see if your outer butts up to the outer edge of the seal/door line or shows to go over - like it perhaps wants to install between the seal and the door (like they show for the inner fuzzy one).
I didn't watch that video but I can answer that question.. The lip of the outer seal hangs out over the top of the door edge.. One of the purposes of that seal is to keep water from entering the gap...
Old 05-09-2021, 10:37 AM   #13
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

That's the left side, to the triangle window - totally get that. This is the right side, above the door handle area is what I am referring to.

Per the vid, you slide the left side into the triangle window area (it's notched to do this), line up the clips so that the far right side butts to the edge of the door seal (not inside or lapping over).

The inside fuzzy, butts up to the triangle windows and then sticks behind the window runner's seal (the show pulling it out so it fits). Now the ones I had installed with the truck didn't do this. So this threw me off when doing the inside after running into the one on the outside being, what appears to me, to long.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:20 AM   #14
RustyPile

Quote:
That's the left side, to the triangle window - totally get that. This is the right side, above the door handle area is what I am referring to.

Per the vid, you slide the left side into the triangle window area (it's notched to do this), line up the clips so that the far right side butts to the edge of the door seal (not inside or lapping over).

The inside fuzzy, butts up to the triangle windows and then sticks behind the window runner's seal (the show pulling it out so it fits). Now the ones I had installed with the truck didn't do this. So this threw me off when doing the inside after running into the one on the outside being, what appears to me, to long.
I'm not there to "lay eyes on it", but I think you were sold either defective parts or the wrong parts.. I didn't have any of those issues you're having.. I don't know the brand I used but I bought the parts from Classic Industries.. It's been a couple years since I did mine and the packaging is long gone..
Old 05-09-2021, 11:48 AM   #15
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

It wouldn't be the first time I was sent a bad run, for example dash lens painted on the wrong side and then incorrect stamping of the back tin for the cluster. It happens, it stucks but I don't get overly butt hurt about it

Hopefully I'll hear back from Precision soon. I am sure it is either I am misunderstanding something or there is in fact a problem with the parts I recieved. Everything has a answer in the end

Last edited by Rich72C10; 05-09-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #16
pjmoreland

I installed these seals from Precision a month or so ago, and I had to trim down the length on both the inner and outer pieces. I also had to increase the size of the cutout on the front end of the outer rubber piece where it overlaps the vent window track.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #17
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I too had to cut the notch out on. But I figured this all out after the 1st try to install them and these things bend easily. Nothing I saw in the bag said to "be sure to cut to fit".

Thanks for the input pjmoreland, I wished I was as smart as you and got them cut before messing them up.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:53 PM   #18
RustyPile

All this trimming, mangling, and non-fitment. .. Makes me think a different source of manufacturing is being used since I bought mine... Sorry you guys are having so much trouble with such a simple item....
Old 05-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #19
pjmoreland

Quote:
I too had to cut the notch out on. But I figured this all out after the 1st try to install them and these things bend easily. Nothing I saw in the bag said to "be sure to cut to fit".

Thanks for the input pjmoreland, I wished I was as smart as you and got them cut before messing them up.
I've screwed my fair share of things up. Believe me. I have just grown to be wary of reproduction parts 🙄
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:38 AM   #20
OregonNed

I bought a set of the Precision ones along with the window seal for when I replace my window glass, vent windows, window regulators and relays - hopefully mine go ok..
Old 05-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #21
OregonNed

I did a quick measurement of mine this morning and I will probably have to trim maybe a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch on them. They seem to be just slightly oversized
Old 05-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #22
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

whats your lot number on the bag?

Old 05-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #23
OregonNed

I will check tonight..
Old 05-10-2021, 01:52 PM   #24
MAC71Cheyenne

You know nothing is easy...I need to replace mine and it seems everyone needs to trim them up a bit to make them fit properly. Going to get them ordered and have at it. You will get er done. I have found that stepping back, glaring intently, couple of cuss words, works wonders!
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #25
Accelo

The complete lack of any quality controls on the repop parts is the new norm. What if GM had to deal with this when assembling the truck? The only did 273,249 1/2T truck with a 8' box in1972. I guess that is what we have brought upon ourselves when cost is the only consideration. It also helps explain the cost of nos parts. If the reproductions were better the nos price comes down.

Last edited by Accelo; 05-13-2021 at 03:22 AM.