The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

svr 01-03-2019 11:56 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

1 Attachment(s)
Took a little more than 5 min but progress

MARTINSR 01-04-2019 02:00 AM

Right on!

Me, did my five minutes, did a little work on my heater, ground down a little spot on it and dug out the wire so tomorrow night I can rewire the motor.

Then I am totally jazzed about this, on my evening walk I went to the local hardware store and found the PERFECT wire to put on the front of the heater! The cool part is I measured it then came home and it was perfect, right on. It's smaller version of the screen I will be putting over the head lamps from a 53 Corvette.

Brian

mikebte 01-04-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svr (Post 8428367)

Very nice, That can be time consuming but well worth it in the end. That stuff is as satisfying as popping bubble wrap once its applied.

mikebte 01-04-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8419590)
I continued disassembly of the top of my motor. Last time I did this my back was hurting for a week from working bent over the fender so much. This time I'm limiting myself to an hour or two a day to avoid a repeat. Today I got the alternator and fan off and pulled the distributor. Tomorrow I'll have to go underneath to remove my freshly installed exhaust :-(

Didn't you literally just remove the head to remove a broken pipe plug? At least it seem like it was just yesterday?

:thud:

Janky59 01-04-2019 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished up the installation of a set of Williams split manifolds, cleaned up and painted things while they were apart, on to the exhaust shop tomorrow.

Black_Sheep 01-05-2019 05:27 PM

Mid 40’s in early January is almost unheard of in Minnesota. I pulled the cover off the ‘58 and fired it up to run it up to temp. There is too much salt on the roads to drive it, so this will have to do for now...

https://www.facebook.com/mark.wells....6005650103573/

Black_Sheep 01-05-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svr (Post 8428367)

Well worth the effort though, looks real good...

DBS5Window 01-05-2019 06:15 PM

I finished installing a TCI rear leaf spring kit and a reman Explorer 8.8 rear. Next up brake lines and relocating the fuel tank. I have a Mustang fuel tank from Tanks Inc.

Trucknut57 01-05-2019 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took it out of the garage and let it soak up some sunshine ;).

It really needs a bath :chevy:

MiraclePieCo 01-05-2019 09:33 PM

Got my exhaust removed today to facilitate head removal. I'm plugging away at this only an hour or two a day to save stress on my back. Plus I'm not real enthused about taking the truck apart; building them is rewarding, UN-building them not so much.

MARTINSR 01-05-2019 10:21 PM

Yeah, it sucks, but in a little while you will be back on the road! WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

evilokc 01-06-2019 12:55 AM

took a short drive in the beautiful sunny 60 degree weather today. life is sometimes remarkable. 2 days ago it was snow and ice.

BAM55 01-07-2019 01:30 PM

Well I was able to get get her down on all 4's for the first time since I painted the cab and front clip.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4803/3...7feed9b4_c.jpg

MiraclePieCo 01-07-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAM55 (Post 8438471)
Well I was able to get get her down on all 4's for the first time since I painted the cab and front clip.

I love those little victories, they're so rewarding. Looks like you nailed it!

MiraclePieCo 01-07-2019 10:33 PM

The latest in my ongoing, perpetual, unending, eternal head plug saga:

Got the head into a machine shop today. A magnaflux revealed three 1-inch cracks radiating from the threaded temp sender hole. It can't be repaired; replacement is the only option. So far everything to do with this head plug debacle has ended up as worst-case scenario :-( Moral: never remove the factory sender bung.

dsraven 01-07-2019 11:46 PM

sorry to hear the head is toast. the good thing is now you know and can move on. weird that there were cracks like that unless someone over-torqued a plug at some point. anyway, its apart now and you know what the deal is, just a matter of getting a new head just like the old one.

nvrdone 01-08-2019 12:13 AM

don't get a head just like the old one - you don't want cracks in the replacement !!

MARTINSR 01-08-2019 01:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My five minutes was spent cutting my rear springs apart and hauling them into the garage, no kidding, this took five minutes! HOLY COW I hate to think of the mail guy or gal who had to haul those babies up tot he porch!

I then spent about three hours, no kidding, THREE HOURS boxing up some rocker mouldings I sold on ebay. What will they get it, ONE of my spring shackles! LOLOL

Brian

MiraclePieCo 01-08-2019 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8438987)
weird that there were cracks like that unless someone over-torqued a plug at some point.

You may remember the extreme difficulty I had removing that plug, so yeah, I suspect someone over-tightened it, or maybe the removal process caused excessive stress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8439005)
don't get a head just like the old one - you don't want cracks in the replacement !!

Since I'm only replacing one head I'll probably have to get one just like the old one.

DransportGarage 01-08-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8439099)
You may remember the extreme difficulty I had removing that plug, so yeah, I suspect someone over-tightened it, or maybe the removal process caused excessive stress.

Since I'm only replacing one head I'll probably have to get one just like the old one.

So, which head do you need? (You can thank me for asking later when one shows up from the forum!)

cmayna 01-10-2019 12:44 PM

https://youtu.be/fYA7CQYeIpU

The green turd earning it's keep, picking up some more tan bark for the yard.

MiraclePieCo 01-10-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmayna (Post 8440505)
https://youtu.be/fYA7CQYeIpU

The green turd earning it's keep, picking up some more tan bark for the yard.

Pretty deft loader operator too.

DransportGarage 01-10-2019 10:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A while back I got a "good deal" on a used Corvette steering wheel. (Brings up an old quote, "One more good deal and we're out of business.") Underneath the leather cover, the top of the wheel that was most exposed to the sun had turned to mush. I cut out the mushy part of the foam core, then replaced that with a split piece of garden hose. I filled the hose with Great Stuff foam. Then I used pieces of fiberglass drywall tape coated with adhesive to build up the contour so that it matched original good foam. I then wrapped the whole mess with 1/2" strips of fiberglass drywall tape, like applying a cast for a broken bone. I think it's going to be fine, if I can hand-stitch a cover...

MiraclePieCo 01-11-2019 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8440860)
A while back I got a "good deal" on a used Corvette steering wheel. (Brings up an old quote, "One more good deal and we're out of business.") Underneath the leather cover, the top of the wheel that was most exposed to the sun had turned to mush. I cut out the mushy part of the foam core, then replaced that with a split a piece of garden hose. I filled the hose with Great Stuff foam. Then I used pieces of fiberglass drywall tape coated with adhesive to build up the contour so that it matched original good foam. I then wrapped the whole mess with 1/2" strips of fiberglass drywall tape, like applying a cast for a broken bone. I think it's going to be fine, if I can hand-stitch a cover...

I can't wait to see how this comes out.

DransportGarage 01-11-2019 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8440962)
I can't wait to see how this comes out.

Me too.