The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

MARTINSR 07-19-2020 09:59 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowaboynca (Post 8777065)
Oakland, Fremont, Hayward...same thing...:lol:

LOL, not really. It seems that way to me now that I am 700 miles from there it's simply "The bay area" but when I was there, nope, Fremont was a whole different thing.

Brian

mick53 07-19-2020 03:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished fitment on my water pump and did a little mocking up and thread chasing. This is a really nice race head built by Gaerte Racing Engines. I have a blower manifold for it but I think I'm using a different head. I have the oil pump input and the bypass blocked off but need to figure how to mind meld an AN fitting on the main input. I also need to make a distributor block off plate. I can't find anyone that makes them for a 292. Not enough belly buttons.

MiraclePieCo 07-19-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8776674)
I finished my engine stand. I bought the bottom part at an auction for $30 and altered it a little. The top part I made out of an old cherry picker leg. I only had to do it twice. My engine has been upside down on a wooden rack. I had to use the "I have no friends" method to turn it over. It was scary. The new rack is amazingly stable and a nice working height. I was afraid it was going to be top heavy. The stand weighs well over a hundred pounds.

Beautiful banger! Heck, your custom engine stand is nicer than my whole truck!

mick53 07-19-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8778357)
Beautiful banger! Heck, your custom engine stand is nicer than my whole truck!

LOL. I have $30 in it. I never feel safe with these long 6's hanging off of the standard cheap stand that I have.

Michel 07-20-2020 08:04 AM

Long time I have not posted. On Saturday, I went to buy some furnitures for the roof. Leaving the shop and arriving at a crossroads I have removed my foot from the accelerator pedal but engine rpm has not decreased. Pedal didn't returned to normal position...I was in city centre! I have stopped a little bit further to investigate. Not too difficult to find the cause. The pedal return spring broken. I just found the small hook hanging on the rod but not the spring....at the same time I noticed that the thermostatic spring was missing. Need to find the parts and order them and wait, wait, wait. 4 years without troubles either.
Michel from France

Black_Sheep 07-21-2020 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drove to the nursing home to visit my Dad. It really needs a bath, I’ve spent a lot more time driving this summer than I have cleaning...

mejum 07-25-2020 12:50 PM

back in May i noticed that my factory (standard) heater was leaking from the core. the cost estimate to have the factory/standard core repaired exceeded $300, so i decided to purchase a Vintage Air heater unit for $250 instead. i initially installed the VA unit to utilize one of the existing water lines running thru the firewall, but didn't like the appearance (the heater unit hung lower under the dash and the control valve looked out of place in the engine bay), so i uninstalled everything and reinstalled the unit so it was a little more hidden. had to pop some new holes in the firewall (and order some firewall plugs to hide my mistakes ��) and now you'd really have to look to see where i screwed up.

anyhow, got the heater installed just in-time for *checks calendar* August...

http://defyperception.net/img/truck/..._1612x1209.jpg
http://defyperception.net/img/truck/..._1209x1612.jpg

vintovka 07-25-2020 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like it. The Vintage unit and controls are neat. I was in a hurry and bought a jegs 3 outlet heater so i could use the 3rd one to run up to my defroster. It is WAY too big for my little cab and will drive you out. I have a mechanical shutoff and cab will heat comfortably WITHOUT THE FAN if shutoff is open!!!!!!!! I would remind those installing heaters with screw type hose clamps to position the screw so you can easily get to it for occasionally tightening if needed.

mick53 07-27-2020 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The new cross flow head for my 292 arrived.

MiraclePieCo 07-27-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mejum (Post 8781603)
back in May i noticed that my factory (standard) heater was leaking from the core. the cost estimate to have the factory/standard core repaired exceeded $300, so i decided to purchase a Vintage Air heater unit for $250 instead.

That seems like a bargain price for such a quality unit.

MARTINSR 07-27-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8782749)
The new cross flow head for my 292 arrived.

WOW! Let's see it!

Brian:metal:

mick53 07-27-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8782899)
WOW! Let's see it!

Brian:metal:

I'm a little afraid to open it. The cool morning sounds good.

Johns327 07-31-2020 08:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I didn’t care for the look of the Vintage Air blower and I was looking for some way to lower its noise level. I came up with this cover idea which did get rid of the ugly and it moved the blower frequency down a bit. Not sure how many db’s because I don’t have a meter. I drafted and printed out the cover and thru in a couple of LEDs to lite it up. Too dang much time on my hands!:metal:

DransportGarage 07-31-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns327 (Post 8785070)
I didn’t care for the look of the Vintage Air blower and I was looking for some way to lower its noise level. I came up with this cover idea which did get rid of the ugly and it moved the blower frequency down a bit. Not sure how many db’s because I don’t have a meter. I drafted and printed out the cover and thru in a couple of LEDs to lite it up. Too dang much time on my hands!:metal:

Lookin' good, and nice job on the dash vents!

Johns327 08-01-2020 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bob, Thanks! Those corner vents are from Vintage Air and they fit the cab dash nicely. I’ve been debating painting the mounts to match the dash and leave the center finish as is.

I also didn’t care for the Vintage Air below dash vents. I put in a center vent which needed a plenum to get by the wiper arms and the radio… very ugly. Then I drafted up and printed the lower vent with the “55” in it with some LEDs to back light that. Still way too much time on my hands!:metal:

carbuff382 08-01-2020 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Built this panel to cover everything up.

Johns327 08-01-2020 05:41 PM

Carbuff382, that panel cover looks sharp. Your interior looks really clean you've done a great job with it.:chevy:

nvrdone 08-01-2020 06:31 PM

just finished up installing a pair of magnaflow mufflers with all new pipes. sure sounds better than the old blown out turbos that were on the truck.

mick53 08-02-2020 09:45 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I made a longer spacer for my blower idler pulley. My belt guard and my idler pulley wanted to occupy the same space on the snout. I opened my new head and have to determine if I can make it work before I start polishing it inside and out. It was expensive and once I grind on it it's mine forever. They are still making the stainless rockers. The rockers and valve cover will come together.

Black_Sheep 08-02-2020 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bath time...

Marty68 08-02-2020 08:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Our car club cancelled its annual show so I planned a scenic tour through amish country. 26 cars and trucks attended. About 120 miles. A few days ago I accuired a garage mate for the 51. A 54 2dr post. My Dad painted it in 1984. Is has only been driven about a hundred miles since 1978. It is polishing up nicely. I am repainting one quarter panel. Also today my daughter had a gender reveal party. I drove the 54. Probably the farthest it has gone in decades 20 miles each way.

mick53 08-02-2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty68 (Post 8786101)
Our car club cancelled its annual show so I planned a scenic tour through amish country. 26 cars and trucks attended. About 120 miles. A few days ago I accuired a garage mate for the 51. A 54 2dr post. My Dad painted it in 1984. Is has only been driven about a hundred miles since 1978. It is polishing up nicely. I am repainting one quarter panel. Also today my daughter had a gender reveal party. I drove the 54. Probably the farthest it has gone in decades 20 miles each way.

What is a gender reveal party? I don't mean to sound stupid but I don't know.

DransportGarage 08-02-2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8786199)

This is an excellent question. Times have changed since sanity prevailed. I only hope it is for a being yet to be born.

Marty68 08-03-2020 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8786199)

my Daughter is pregnant. the ultra sound shows the babys gender. so they have a party to reveal it. i am out on the need for this i am old school. but she is having a boy.

mick53 08-03-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty68 (Post 8786250)
my Daughter is pregnant. the ultra sound shows the babys gender. so they have a party to reveal it. i am out on the need for this i am old school. but she is having a boy.

Congrats, thanks. I don't have kids so I was clueless.

Marty68 08-03-2020 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8786269)
Congrats, thanks. I don't have kids so I was clueless.

thanks..

mejum 08-09-2020 11:53 PM

Cleaning away the cobwebs (YouTube video)

MiraclePieCo 08-10-2020 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mejum (Post 8789561)

Thanks for putting us in the driver's seat!

Russell Ashley 08-12-2020 06:25 PM

Congratulations on the coming grandson.

bosco 08-12-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbuff382 (Post 8785420)
Built this panel to cover everything up.

Very beautiful interior. Love your bench seat. Can I ask where you got it, or what year truck it came out of?

evilokc 08-16-2020 11:32 PM

finished my 200amp alternator install today. took me over 2 weeks to do what should have been a pretty easy hour-ish job. drove around a bit. enjoyed it a great deal.

MJN 08-17-2020 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled the box off the frame and got the rear axle pulled out. Cleaning the frame and getting it ready for paint.

Black_Sheep 08-20-2020 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Windshield therapy...

nvrdone 08-22-2020 11:38 PM

ok, this may sound crazy. got the exhaust system finished today & just had to hear how it sounds under full throttle. that resulted in about a 30' burn out. my son and grand son thought it was great. my wife was not impressed. oh well.

Johns327 08-23-2020 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cleaned up those long tail light bolts. Can't remember who on this site made a comment on them and I thought, 'yeah good idea'. It's the little details.

Now I need to find a better wire cover. The rubber cups over the bulb ends is already cracking. Thinking of stainless over braid and some shrink tube to seal the fray. Other ideas?:metal:

DransportGarage 08-23-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns327 (Post 8796797)
Cleaned up those long tail light bolts. Can't remember who on this site made a comment on them and I thought, 'yeah good idea'. It's the little details.

Now I need to find a better wire cover. The rubber cups over the bulb ends is already cracking. Thinking of stainless over braid and some shrink tube to seal the fray. Other ideas?:metal:

Bluetooth. Just a little circuit design and you're there! (just kidding, but I can't believe some manufacturer hasn't done that yet...)

Nice touches!

57tailgater 08-24-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Maybe a couple of 90 degree spark plug boots to turn the wires inward and then cover w/the stainless steel braid? I like how you did the acorn nuts on the back of the light.

mick53 08-24-2020 10:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I started playing with my 12 port cross flow head. I would like to give a shout out to Mike Kirby, Ryan and Erik Falconer, and Leo Santucci for all their help and putting up with my crazy ideas. They always call me back and spend quite a bit of time with me on the phone. Leo has been great and he is familiar with this head. Additional head studs will need to be installed. As long as it has to go back to the machine shop I decided to have the main caps doweled to remove the 800 hp barrier. I'm also stepping up to a 6-71 blower and 2 650 DP carbs. The water comes out of the head on the side.The intake manifold will have to plumbed to a remote thermostat. The problem I'm working on now is the push rod angle. I don't know how much that can be. I have seen pictures of BBC heads with a lot of angle. The push rods end up outside of the engine. Leo says that's no big deal. They do clear the block. I don't have my rockers yet but the picture is pretty close to the angle they will end up. Maybe offset lifters and special push rods? I just got started on this. The plan then would be to make a backer frame and use original design covers. Probably pull a line into the dry sump from there. It's nice that the intake is on the passenger side because that is where all my oil lines and pump are. The headers will be all by themselves on the "hot side" of the engine. Thank you for your time and any advice in advance. You will notice I have not started polishing the head yet because my confidence level is not that high at this point. You polish it you bought it.

Fitz57 08-24-2020 11:28 PM

Quote:

Classicparts.com has the rubber boot wire cover you are looking for. $4.95 each. Got a set on my 57

Daze57 08-24-2020 11:36 PM

johns327

On your tail lights get some 3/4 or larger brake line and run your wires in it and bend it to your liking ----simple fast and wires are protected