The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

MARTINSR 10-07-2017 02:23 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8055501)
after being down for a year I have been driving my truck for about a week. tonight some one backed into it. yep. I was waiting for a parking space when an escalade backed out into me. fenders pushed in and creased in the front and pushed out of shape over the wheel well. I'm depressed. I'm pissed. I'm depressed. I'm pissed. I'm shocked. I'm depressed. I'm pissed.

Are they insured? It sounds like it was their fault, I don't know about where you are but you can get estimates and then "cash out" and fix it yourself.

Brian

evilokc 10-07-2017 10:26 AM

I'm in Oklahoma. the officer said that her insurance was active. I called my insurance and gave them all of the chicks information. I'm hoping they do the work for me. its going to need a replacement fender. this one cant be fixed. it sucks too because its the original fender. I'm going to keep working on the truck as if the accident didn't happen for now. I don't want this to stop my progress even though its killing me. today I'm going to finalize my throttle pedal angle. it was sitting a little high so to push it I had to use the ball of my foot while my foo rested on its heel. I rotated the pedal down on the splines last night and it feels great on the foot. I have to make sure it still has wot in that position and then lock it down with the set screw. I'm also going to check my ground wires on the turn signals. I'm sure there is one that's loose.

MARTINSR 10-07-2017 01:25 PM

Yes it can be fixed, don't ever think something can't be fixed. That is a big general dent and it could be fixed. Does it make sense to fix it, that is up to you. But it can be fixed.

Brian

evilokc 10-07-2017 02:48 PM

yes i agree. there are very few things that cant be fixed if time and money are no object. i will probably shop for a nice original fender. no repops.

MARTINSR 10-07-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8055830)
yes i agree. there are very few things that cant be fixed if time and money are no object. i will probably shop for a nice original fender. no repops.

Oh hell yeah, FORGET the reproductions making one fit is basically the same as repairing that one!

Brian

evilokc 10-08-2017 12:27 PM

I will shop for an original. I pulled the turn signals out yesterday to check all the grounds and as soon as I got them out we had some surprise visitors for 3 hours and I got nothing done. I will attempt again today.i did get the throttle pedal positioned and locked down for good. so something got done.

evilokc 10-08-2017 09:45 PM

I was able to get out and play with the signals. I found a loose ground and tightened it up. I installed a 120db air horn while I had everything pulled apart. the horn is LOUD. I took the truck out and the stupid signals started doing the same thing again. I will look back into that in a couple of days. I'm going to look into going with larger jets in the carb as well.

MARTINSR 10-08-2017 09:46 PM

Glad to see you were able to get out, I am feeling funky as hell and hope to get to work so I stayed in all day today. What are the blinkers doing?

Brian

Russell Ashley 10-09-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8055501)
after being down for a year I have been driving my truck for about a week. tonight some one backed into it. yep. I was waiting for a parking space when an escalade backed out into me. fenders pushed in and creased in the front and pushed out of shape over the wheel well. I'm depressed. I'm pissed. I'm depressed. I'm pissed. I'm shocked. I'm depressed. I'm pissed.

Sorry about the accident but if she was insured maybe you can come out OK, and maybe even a little ahead.

evilokc 10-09-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigamanx (Post 8055522)
You've GOT to be kidding!? I feel for you. Weren't we just talking about it starting and running for the first time like 2 pages ago?

yes I was. I just got it running and driving about 2 week ago

dsraven 10-09-2017 04:49 PM

try to keep that fender is you can. it is definately fixable. better than a new one prolly. haha

gigamanx 10-09-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8021437)
installed my longer carb studs and the new throttle bracket today. started it up and let it run up to temp. love to hear it run.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1503280303

Hey man, where does your kickdown cable attach on this bracket? I like the look of it and there seem to be a few companies online selling them for under $30. I see the throttle attachment on top, but the kits don't show a spot underneath for the kickdown.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-415...%257Ciid%253A1

evilokc 10-09-2017 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigamanx (Post 8057387)
Hey man, where does your kickdown cable attach on this bracket? I like the look of it and there seem to be a few companies online selling them for under $30. I see the throttle attachment on top, but the kits don't show a spot underneath for the kickdown.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-415...%257Ciid%253A1

on the top rear you can see the hole for the throttle cable. if you look on the bottom of the bracket right below that throttle cable mount you can see the bracket for the kickdown cable. so rear of bracket on underside.

Black_Sheep 10-13-2017 06:12 PM

I finished prepping the dash again because a herd of big black gnats decided to do the backstroke in my clear coat. Will give it another try this weekend. Also stopped at the paint store for sealer and a pint of basecoat for the main interior color, '63 Chevrolet Laurel Green...

evilokc 10-15-2017 12:38 AM

very annoying night guys. I went on the quick fuel site and read up on what they call correct carb tuning. they suggest warning up the motor,lowering the idle with the idle screw until its just about to stall, bottoming out the 4 mixture screws and turning them out 1&1/2 turns and hook up a vacuum gauge to the manifold port. then you watch the vacuum when you turn the mixture screws out 1/4 turn. if the vacuum increases you repeat until you hit the max vacuum. repeat that on all 4 corners. you have to use the idle screw to keep the idle at the same rpm as you mess with the mixture screw. so I did all that and hooked up my vacuum gauge and boom...it didn't work. the vacuum gauge was given to me years ago and I have never used it. so my idle is so low now that the motor runs but is unhappy. I will buy a new gauge tomorrow and maybe an optical tach to finally get into the meat of tuning. then I can move onto the main jets.

Black_Sheep 10-15-2017 01:05 AM

I had to let the clear dry and sand the bugs out. I reshot the lower dash today with straight white and a few coats of clear. No metal flake this time around, no bugs either...

https://scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...90&oe=5A7D843B

Planning to get the green laid down tomorrow.

evilokc 10-15-2017 09:05 PM

set the mixture and idle using the method suggest by quick fuel. 1) warm up motor 2) in hook choke and install vacuum gauge on constant manifold vacuum source. 3) bottom out all 4 mixture screws and turn out 1&1/2. 4) note vacuum reading and turn mixture screw out 1/4 turn and see if it increases or decreases vacuum. 5) continue this until the highest vacuum reading is reached and then repeat for the other 3 corners until the highest total manifold vacuum is reached. the idle will be slightly elevated by getting the mixture right. tuning the mixture with a vacuum gauge is totally the way to go. I was able to see exactly how each turn of the mixture screw affected the motor. when I started I was at 14hg of mercury and once I had finished the mixture I was at 21hg of mercury. that's a big improvement. the motor smoothed out and the fumes are good too. I reset the idle using an optical tachometer. when I drove the truck I could feel the improvement overall. it also allowed me to feel the short comings. the surging at constant speed tells me that my jets are on the small side. the tip in stumble is still present but was a little improved with the proper mixture. I'm going to call the quick fuel help line tomorrow and see what they suggest for the stumble and main jet size for my application. I'm closer. I found out that you can also use a vacuum gauge to check your main jets too. when the time comes I will be doin that. I may even use the vacuum gauge to tweak my timing.

Black_Sheep 10-16-2017 11:06 PM

Finally got some color on the jambs and inside the cab. After spraying the green I unmasked the lower dash and gave everything a few rounds of clear.

https://scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...4e&oe=5A6734B1

The color does not photograph well under fluorescent lights, I can't wait to see it in natural light.

https://scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...f0&oe=5A69CEF7

evilokc 10-16-2017 11:43 PM

spoke with holley tech today to try and figure out my tip in stumble. they said my squirter is too small. story of my life. I'm ordering a 35 squirter.

MARTINSR 10-17-2017 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8062392)
spoke with holley tech today to try and figure out my tip in stumble. they said my squirter is too small. story of my life. I'm ordering a 35 squirter.

LOL, nothing can work as well as calling the tech line.:metal:

Brian

MARTINSR 10-17-2017 12:03 AM

I got out there for my five minutes, ground the welds down on the patch panel and now I can move onto the next one.

Brian

iowaboynca 10-17-2017 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8062407)
I got out there for my five minutes, ground the welds down on the patch panel and now I can move onto the next one.

Brian

:metal:

evilokc 10-17-2017 09:55 PM

holley tech also told me that I should move my accelerator pump cam around a bit and see if that helps as well. I did that this morning and it squirting a lot more. might even be enough? I haven't driven it but its something.

MARTINSR 10-18-2017 02:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got out there, mapped off the section to remove on the door and cut the new piece rough and rolled it a bit in the English wheel to give it some shape.

It's on it's way.

Brian

crossfire84 10-18-2017 02:48 PM

awesome

Black_Sheep 10-18-2017 10:52 PM

Applied some Fatmat Rattle Trap on my floor extensions and the passenger side half of the firewall. I'll have to pull the fuse block out of the way to do a decent job on the other side, the throttle cable hole also needs to be drilled out.

evilokc 10-18-2017 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8063061)
I got out there, mapped off the section to remove on the door and cut the new piece rough and rolled it a bit in the English wheel to give it some shape.

It's on it's way.

Brian

I'm glad your getting your 5 minutes in. it helps me get my minutes in too.

MARTINSR 10-19-2017 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's pretty amazing how when we see something getting done across the country in some garage it fires us up.

This "five minutes a day" is amazing, something is getting done! And I can't tell you how I don't have the drive I use to, I am 58, I worked all day today, I am still weathering some kind of cold or something coughing, I don't want to be out side, I am just not where I once was with this stuff. The passion has dropped quite a bit from years ago when I would work until midnight for months before a show to get my project done. This five minutes a day would take a long time to get this truck done, but it would be done a hell of a lot faster if I didn't touch it at all! And some days my 5 minutes does turn into an hour or two.

Today, I got the bottom of the door cut off and the patch set into place. I had to find a way to push the skin down so I ran a piece of tubing across the door, wham done! WHOOO HOOO! I didn't know how I was going to do this.

When I reshaped the bottom of the door shortening the shell when I sectioned it I just couldn't bring the roll up on that skin, I just couldn't do it! So clamping it in place is how I pulled it off. Now doing this patch I had a whole different problem because the bottom was cut off. But this piece of tubing took care of it, right on.

Brian

vintovka 10-19-2017 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is 95% complete. After 58 years of bearing California plates and registration i finally got mine registered in Oregon. My automotive ties with that god forsaken state are finally completely severed. Poor thing was built in LA (Nov 1953) and spent at least half of its military career there. All have to do now is formally and legally report that its no longer in the state. Failure to do so allows the CA DMV Gestapo to put a lien on you for failure to renew registration there. (yes, they happily do that now so heads up). OREGON dmv accepted my old faded original 1969 title without question and struggled to read the faded/scratched up vin plate in the fog, mist, rain (and way up on the trailer). They even got a kick out of my book with registrations from 1964 to date in it. Thole deal (with USAF Veterans Plates) was under $200 for 2 years. FWIW New higher CA fees, Fuel taxes and other new laws kick in 10 days from now.

evilokc 10-19-2017 11:18 PM

been trying to tune a couple of performance issues out of my carburetor. a few days back I set my mixture with a vacuum gauge. when I started it was at 14hg and when I was done it was at 20hg. I was thrilled. I set the idle with n optical tach. it was running smooth and happy. today I drove it to the store and nothing felt right. the idle felt weak and it didn't feel like it was making its normal power. when I got home I got out the tach and vacuum gauge again just to check. the vacuum was back down to 14hg and the idle was way down as well. I adjusted the ide and the mixture until I got the vacuum back up but the vacuum gauge still bounced around a little. I sprayed a little brake clean around the carb base and rpm jumped a little. so looks like I have a vacuum leak. i tightened the base bolts that were a little loose and if that doesn't help then I guess new gaskets are coming this weekend. I also have a leak in my power brake check valve which may be contributing. I'm also ordering a new squirter. I'm just not getting any squirt at very light throttle. so many tiny issues. should be able to knock them all out n a couple of hours.

MARTINSR 10-20-2017 12:05 AM

Got out there and sand blasted the bottom of the door and applied some weld through primer to the patch and where it will be welded.

Brian

gmoney38 10-21-2017 10:17 PM

Finished removing front sheet metal and engine/granny. Now putting a game plan together, on how to reconfigure my Camaro frame screw up. I bought it this way, and am reconstructing attachment to chassis.

evilokc 10-23-2017 10:59 AM

okay I got my vacuum leaks corrected but its caused another problem. first I want to say it fixed a problem too. the truck drives really well. stumble is gone and driving is very pleasant. however I discovered my fuel pressure is too high. quick fuel claims 6.5psi is perfect and anything over7.5psi will cause flooding. my pressure is running 8.5psi and its flooding. so I'm adding that to the list of what's being done this week. it was a great drive though. finally felt like I had my truck back..ya know until it flooded. also the insurance appraisal guy came out this morning to assess the damage from that lady backing into me. he said I will et a call in a day or so with the results.

bennylava 10-23-2017 11:56 AM

87 Silverado: (Saturday)

Put new brake pedal rubber on.

Changed out door locks on both sides.

Replaced dead power door lock on driver's side.

Replaced dead power window regulator and motor on passenger side.

Installed rebuilt altnernator.

Installed new battery.

Replaced fuel lines running to the TBI unit.

Next weekend:

Replace switch key.

Replace passenger side fuel pump.

gigamanx 10-23-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8066569)
okay I got my vacuum leaks corrected but its caused another problem. first I want to say it fixed a problem too. the truck drives really well. stumble is gone and driving is very pleasant. however I discovered my fuel pressure is too high. quick fuel claims 6.5psi is perfect and anything over7.5psi will cause flooding. my pressure is running 8.5psi and its flooding. so I'm adding that to the list of what's being done this week. it was a great drive though. finally felt like I had my truck back..ya know until it flooded. also the insurance appraisal guy came out this morning to assess the damage from that lady backing into me. he said I will et a call in a day or so with the results.

Insurance guy coming by in a few days. Here's hoping.

http://cfile237.uf.daum.net/image/01...51BA580B2E2B31

evilokc 10-26-2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigamanx (Post 8066955)
Insurance guy coming by in a few days. Here's hoping.

http://cfile237.uf.daum.net/image/01...51BA580B2E2B31

they offered an insultingly low settlement. I told them there is no way that will fox it. they said to take it to a shop and if its more they will cover it. that's what I'm going to do. what happened to your truck?

vintovka 10-26-2017 07:10 PM

Low first offers are SOP. They make many necks and backs hurt all of sudden. I have always found the most expensive high end repair shop and gone with them. The issue of shops using water based paints may be of interest to you.

handyhands 10-26-2017 08:02 PM

I started on the exhaust last week(5.3 duel exhaust with glass packs 2.5") first time for me. It as been fun on off on off. My welds are still ugly but getting better. No one will see these but me. I thought I had been getting a lot done lately so I pulled down my list to mark off some things. But I couldn't. Forgot I marked them when I bought the parts.

Black_Sheep 10-28-2017 02:01 AM

This weekend’s garage goal is to set the cab back on the frame. There were several small jobs completed in preparation. The brake system was filled with DOT 5 brake fluid and bled. I also made a set of battery cables with 1 gauge fine strand copper cable, crimped copper lugs and mil-spec terminal ends. The cables are covered with a protective spiral wrap So they should be darn near bulletproof. Both of these tasks were far easier to perform before the cab goes back on.

https://scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...13&oe=5A7DE5EC

Black_Sheep 10-29-2017 12:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the cab set back on the frame and finished putting on the Fatmat Rattletrap sound deadener...