The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

MARTINSR 04-20-2022 12:20 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopped53 (Post 9069586)
Looking good! How much did you snip out of there?

2.5 inches, same as the cab. It's chopped 3.5 and sectioned the 2.5.

Brian

Chopped53 04-20-2022 12:30 PM

Brian,

I would love to see a side view pic.

MARTINSR 04-20-2022 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopped53 (Post 9069608)
Brian,

I would love to see a side view pic.

Here you go.

MARTINSR 04-20-2022 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a real good look at the difference. A stock door and the chopped and sectioned one.

Brian

MARTINSR 04-20-2022 10:36 PM

My 5 minutes didn't get anything photo worthy but I basically studied the seam on the hood. I have a plan!

After a 12 hour work day that is about all I can do.

Brian

mick53 04-21-2022 11:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I thought I needed bolts for the blower pully. ARP makes a 6 bolt set for $25 but they are back ordered until Aug. 22nd so I ordered two 5 packs (3/8-24x1") at $17 each then figured out I already had them after they shipped. Also the drive had no bolts in it. I have no idea why. I needed 2 plugs for the spacer plate so I ordered them (it's on backwards). The fuel lines on the carb interfere with the nitrous lines so I ordered another spacer plate, $130. I ordered a fitting and fuel pressure gauge for the fuel rail. Probably won't fit. The brass piece on the end of the fuel rail is a 4 lb. regulator. It should all be here by this weekend. These days if I can find someone that has parts in stock I don't look at the price. Thank you for your time.

DransportGarage 04-21-2022 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 9069974)
I thought I needed bolts for the blower pully. ARP makes a 6 bolt set for $25 but they are back ordered until Aug. 22nd so I ordered two 5 packs (3/8-24x1") at $17 each then figured out I already had them after they shipped. Also the drive had no bolts in it. I have no idea why. I needed 2 plugs for the spacer plate so I ordered them (it's on backwards). The fuel lines on the carb interfere with the nitrous lines so I ordered another spacer plate, $130. I ordered a fitting and fuel pressure gauge for the fuel rail. Probably won't fit. The brass piece on the end of the fuel rail is a 4 lb. regulator. It should all be here by this weekend. These days if I can find someone that has parts in stock I don't look at the price. Thank you for your time.

Someone on the forum has the by-line, "There's nothing I've bought once that I can't buy twice." This would apply either if you would trash a part, or if you forgot you bought it the first time!

Chopped53 04-21-2022 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 9069818)
Here is a real good look at the difference. A stock door and the chopped and sectioned one.

Brian

Thanks Brian. Looks great. I can barely imagine the work that went into that section job. Can't wait for an "on the road" shot.

mick53 04-24-2022 10:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I got the front drive from the 4-71 onto the 6-71. I had to make the dowel pin holes larger but otherwise it went right together. I'm polishing the spacer plate for the carbs and then I get to try to remember how all the linkage goes together.

DransportGarage 04-24-2022 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 9070943)
I got the front drive from the 4-71 onto the 6-71. I had to make the dowel pin holes larger but otherwise it went right together. I'm polishing the spacer plate for the carbs and then I get to try to remember how all the linkage goes together.

More jewelry for car addicts from Mick.

MARTINSR 04-25-2022 10:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Oh oh oh oh my goodness, I got my hood tack welded together. I can't tell you how this made me feel. Like Brian Setzer pulled up, got out and played Rock this Town in my driveway then before leaving handed me a winning Lotto ticket. It's been 4 years since I cut that hood up. Went a number of different ways, then wham, I made it happen, wow.
I didn't think I was going to get so much done. My goal was to put my5 minutes in and just get the front end tacked, that would have made me happy, but I kept going, I just can't believe it.
The last photo shows the back of the hood. You see, I moved the good top forward to make it fit. I now will add to the back using the metal I cut off in the sectioning of the hood.
I was at a car show this morning with my wife (this is what fired me up) and studied the stock hoods I saw.
I talked about this stuff with her at the show. After I tacked it I went and got her walking her out to see what I did. She cracks me up, she gets it, she asked me some questions on what I did with a serious interest.

Brian

oldman3 04-25-2022 07:45 PM

Brian, nice job...Jim

mick53 04-25-2022 08:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finished the blower for the 292 in my 53 3100. I still need to make the nitrous lines but that's another day. Sometime I will figure out how to take pictures of shiny stuff so it doesn't look bad.

mick53 04-25-2022 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 9071347)
Oh oh oh oh my goodness, I got my hood tack welded together. I can't tell you how this made me feel. Like Brian Setzer pulled up, got out and played Rock this Town in my driveway then before leaving handed me a winning Lotto ticket. It's been 4 years since I cut that hood up. Went a number of different ways, then wham, I made it happen, wow.
I didn't think I was going to get so much done. My goal was to put my5 minutes in and just get the front end tacked, that would have made me happy, but I kept going, I just can't believe it.
The last photo shows the back of the hood. You see, I moved the good top forward to make it fit. I now will add to the back using the metal I cut off in the sectioning of the hood.
I was at a car show this morning with my wife (this is what fired me up) and studied the stock hoods I saw.
I talked about this stuff with her at the show. After I tacked it I went and got her walking her out to see what I did. She cracks me up, she gets it, she asked me some questions on what I did with a serious interest.

Brian

Does it still come apart in 2 halves?

MARTINSR 04-25-2022 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 9071545)
Brian, nice job...Jim

Thanks!

Brian

MARTINSR 04-25-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 9071557)
Does it still come apart in 2 halves?

Yep, most people aren't going to see what I did till it hits them it's thinner.

The hood will look stock, open or closed.

Brian

Spicer 04-26-2022 03:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 56 getting the NAPCO front axle and t-case finally
Posted via Mobile Device

mick53 04-26-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 9071577)
Yep, most people aren't going to see what I did till it hits them it's thinner.

The hood will look stock, open or closed.

Brian

That's nice. I have never been a big fan of the welded seam.

MARTINSR 04-26-2022 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 9071857)
That's nice. I have never been a big fan of the welded seam.

I even got an NOS moulding.

Brian

DransportGarage 04-27-2022 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicer (Post 9071667)
My 56 getting the NAPCO front axle and t-case finally
Posted via Mobile Device

When I saw the outside lift I thought, "Must be Texas". Sure enough (although I know of one here in Cincinnati too).

fauXGT 04-27-2022 07:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Worked on saving the old bent and rusty running boards. But also, during the 'my arms are on fire from all the hammering', saved this from the ugliness of it's previous life.
Perfect for the Rust-Mod.

MARTINSR 04-27-2022 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fauXGT (Post 9072276)
Worked on saving the old bent and rusty running boards. But also, during the 'my arms are on fire from all the hammering', saved this from the ugliness of it's previous life.

Cool!
Brian

mick53 04-27-2022 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fauXGT (Post 9072276)

Does that go on the heater box?

fauXGT 04-28-2022 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 9072416)
Does that go on the heater box?

Yep.
Cool seeing the original paint underneath it. 70 years of history is amazing.
Going to pressure test the core tomorrow to see if salvagable and start prepping/painting the housing.

fauXGT 04-28-2022 12:44 AM

Plus, saving of what you can of the original should always be the goal(apologies to the new parts sellers).lol

mick53 04-28-2022 07:43 AM

When I bought my 53 3100 in SoCal it had no heater. When I moved to Indiana I bought one at a junkyard. I got the same feeling of satisfaction When I restored it. That was over 30 years ago and the OEM core is still fine.

dsraven 04-28-2022 08:31 AM

Careful with the pressure test, they ran a lower pressure than newer vehicles.

fauXGT 04-28-2022 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 9072520)
Careful with the pressure test, they ran a lower pressure than newer vehicles.

6-8 psi was what I'm going for on the test. I am putting in a 350, so hopefully it will handle up to 10-12 psi at max.

Black_Sheep 04-30-2022 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It rained all week and it's supposed to continue through the weekend. I just keep cleaning and hoping for dryer weather. At least all the road salt is being washed away..

oldman3 05-01-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 9073618)
It rained all week and it's supposed to continue through the weekend. I just keep cleaning and hoping for dryer weather. At least all the road salt is being washed away..

Beautiful...Jim

_Ogre 05-01-2022 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 9073618)
At least all the road salt is being washed away..

we can only hope, 2 seasons here in MI,
it's sort of like the kids game of green light, red light
no salt, salt.

fauXGT 05-01-2022 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Still working on replacing the old/rusted running board mounts onto the old/rusted running boards.
At least the rusty parts will take longer to fall off.

mick53 05-17-2022 09:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It finally got nice here so I got back on the donor frame rails. I did the first one last fall and am doing a few things differently on the second one. I used the mag drill to round out the holes a little larger and get a uniform size. Now I only have 4 sizes. I don't have a cutter larger than 1" so a couple will have to be custom made. I'm hoping a better fit will mean less grinding. I TIG these so I don't get the hard MIG weld because there will be cutting, drilling and tapping and I don't want to drill on the harder MIG weld. If I end up half way on a weld it's a hassle. There are 149 holes in each frame rail to weld up. Thank you for your time.

Russell Ashley 05-17-2022 10:07 AM

Nice drill setup you have there. Car guys have to be crazy doing all that work on parts that don't even show. It's a sickness, an expensive sickness, LOL.

crossfire84 05-17-2022 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 9080098)
Nice drill setup you have there. Car guys have to be crazy doing all that work on parts that don't even show. It's a sickness, an expensive sickness, LOL.

:lol::lol:

vintovka 05-17-2022 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 9080098)

Soon to be a rich mans game.

mick53 05-17-2022 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintovka (Post 9080264)
Soon to be a rich mans game.

I passed that sign post a while back. The secret is not to keep track of the cost.

mick53 05-22-2022 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished making the 149 little plugs for my donor frame rail. Now I just need to TIG them in. I realize that I could probably could have bought these cheap from someone. I could also take the truck to someone and tell them to call me when it's done. I think mine are better and cleaner. I like making stuff. I have a lot of mild steel rod and I didn't have to buy anything or wait on anybody. Thank you for your time.

mick53 06-02-2022 07:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I started TIGing up the holes in the 2nd donor frame rail.

nvrdone 06-03-2022 08:22 PM

spilled some oil on my primered hood. now I have to figure out how to clean up the mess.