The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

evilokc 10-29-2017 09:22 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8070884)
Got the cab set back on the frame and finished putting on the Fatmat Rattletrap sound deadener...

what was your opinion on the quality of that product? wasit as expensive as dynamat?

evilokc 10-29-2017 09:52 PM

this weekend was pretty good truck wise. not great but its in these early stages that we work out all the gremlins that allow us thousands of trouble free miles. put in a pressure regulator to solve my flooding problem and run some new hard line for that. that went about as you would expect. I did what I could to have all of my parts and supplies on hand and of course it didn't work that way. had to go to the store 3 times. this morning I tested for leaks and tightened up a couple of things. I set the fuel pressure where ot should be for a holley and took a drive. the truck was responsive and seemed pretty happy running through the neighborhood. I stopped at a stop sign and jumped out to look at my floats and fuel pressure. the truck died. I looked and the front float looked empty. tried to start it and it dragged. pulled the air cleaner off and fuel was dripping out of the front bowl into the carb. I opened the blades a little to relieve the pressure. the. front bowl wasn't too low it was so full that I couldn't see the line. I was only a few blocks from home and though I could start it back and get it home. I started it and pushed the gas pedal and it popped and went tot the floor. I knew right away my throttle cable was the issue. I looked and it had come out of the bracket. when it broke the end frayed and I wasn't able to get it back in that tiny hole. i thought i would start it and it could idle home. i started it and put in it reverse and only got about 50 ft before it flooded again. i didn't want to chance it catching fire so i walked the few blocks home to get some tools for a roadside fix. i got back and drained the front bowl and lowered the fuel level. i then turned my attention to the throttle cable. i wasn't able to get the frayed end twisted small enough to fit into the bracket again. i had no choice but to snip the end off. i got it back in and all was right with the world. took it back home and let it run while i checked the fuel level and fuel pressure. i noticed the idle was pretty high. i pulled out my tach light and it was idling at 1435rpm. that didn't make sense to me. i tried to lower the idle with the idle screw and it had no affect. the idle didn't lower. that's when i noticed how tight the throttle cable was. i used the adjuster to loosen it as much as i could but there wasn't enough adjustment to get the idle back. i removed the throttle cable and the idle dropped right away. i had to screw with the idle screw again to get my idle back but it came right back and was happy to idle. it looks like the frayed end i cut off made the throttle cable a fraction of an inch too short. my fault for not leaving enough in the adjuster when i installed it but honestly i assumed it would stretch but not that it would get shorter. when i bought the cable i started to buy a holley cable but they are like $50. i found this Chinese knock off for $15. i wasn't happy with it right away. the "braided" cable was a plastic tube with something to look like braid on the outside. it was really rough too. i oiled it up really well and that helped. now that i need another one I'm going to order a real one. I'm close on this guys. starts well, idles well, fuel pressure is right,felt like it was driving well. the stumble was about gone. peels out well. i need to make a couple of adjustments on the floats to get them right. progress is not going as fast as i would like but it is going.

Black_Sheep 10-29-2017 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8071231)
what was your opinion on the quality of that product? wasit as expensive as dynamat?

I have used Fatmat products before with great success. For a 25 square foot kit I paid $60 shipped. When comparing cost per square foot the Fatmat is about half the price of comparable Dynamat products. I used 2 kits to cover the floor, firewall and trans cover with a double layer on the upper firewall and trans cover. Based on previous experience, it is very effective in reducing road noise, resonance, etc... and to a lesser degree it also reduces heat. In my opinion the benefit is well worth the expense and the effort...

mud.man.rj 10-30-2017 10:53 PM

That firewall is sooo smooth, beauty man.
Mudman.

MARTINSR 10-30-2017 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't have a drain to clean so I got out in the garage and tacked the patch panel in place. WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

MiraclePieCo 10-31-2017 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8072099)
I didn't have a drain to clean so I got out in the garage and tacked the patch panel in place. WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

You always do such nice work Brian, then still have time to answer all our newbie questions on this forum!

MARTINSR 10-31-2017 10:00 AM

LOL, thanks so much but I am not doing crap out in the garage, my "five minutes" is about it. I like sitting in my warm house and helping the newbes more these days the older I get. :D

Thanks so much for the kind words. :metal:

Brian

MiraclePieCo 11-02-2017 03:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Installing an SBC in my '51 panel, things were getting pretty congested on the driver's side with exhaust, steering shaft and motor mounts all competing for the same space. So rather than use conventional mounts off the frame rails, I decided to fabricate some vertical motor mounts upward from my OEM MII crossmember. They solved my interference problem, they're well triangulated for strength, and I think they're kinda graceful-looking too! Will finish weld them after the motor comes back out from its trial fit.

b-mac 11-02-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8073593)
Installing an SBC in my '51 panel, things were getting pretty congested on the driver's side with exhaust, steering shaft and motor mounts all competing for the same space. So rather than use conventional mounts off the frame rails, I decided to fabricate some vertical motor mounts upward from my OEM MII crossmember. They solved my interference problem, they're well triangulated for strength, and I think they're kinda graceful-looking too! Will finish weld them after the motor comes back out from its trial fit.

Awesome work! But no rubber or urethane? Think it will rattle your teeth?

MiraclePieCo 11-02-2017 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-mac (Post 8073873)
Awesome work! But no rubber or urethane? Think it will rattle your teeth?

Stock Chevy rubber isolators bolt on the round tubes at the top - I just removed them for the photo to show the entire mount.

I pulled the engine today so here's a better photo of the mounts:

Black_Sheep 11-02-2017 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I managed to get the freshly painted column, u-joint and DD shaft installed without harming the finish on anything. I want to use stainless nylocks to couple the shaft to the rag joint but nobody local has fine thread stainless lock nuts. Go figure! I had to do a Bolt Depot order anyway, so I've got some coming. I also spent an hour looking for the stud plates for the lower inner fender brackets, they have to be around here somewhere...

MARTINSR 11-02-2017 11:59 PM

DAMN that's purty!

Brian

crossfire84 11-03-2017 01:47 PM

what he said^^^^

OrrieG 11-03-2017 08:18 PM

I have order from Fastenal to get had to find hardware.

https://www.fastenal.com/products;js...rm=nylock+nuts

Interior looks killer.

Black_Sheep 11-03-2017 08:38 PM

Check out boltdepot.com OrrieG, no minimum quantities and reasonable prices...

evilokc 11-03-2017 10:12 PM

got a needle & seat and a new throttle cable to install. supposed to be beautiful tomorroe. hope it will be a fruitful day

Black_Sheep 11-03-2017 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a good start on the floor plate and stumbled across the stud plates for the inner fender brackets when I was looking for something else...

Black_Sheep 11-05-2017 10:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finished up the floor plate and trimmed the inner fender panels to fit the smooth firewall. They will end up being the same satin white as the firewall...

mud.man.rj 11-05-2017 08:11 PM

Under hood....wow.
Mudman.

Black_Sheep 11-05-2017 08:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After a lot of measuring and a little tweaking to get the cab square on the frame I torqued the cab mount bolts down. Same deal with the core support, it's now straight and square with the cab too.

I still had a couple hours of free time before my granddaughter's birthday party so I bolted the freshly painted grille brackets onto the grille with some 1/4" stainless flange bolts and made up a 6AWG cable to feed power to the cab. The insulated stud will provide a handy place to connect a timing light...

evilokc 11-05-2017 10:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
it was a good day in the garage. I installed the new needle and seat. I'm hoping that corrects my flooding issue. I ran it in the garage and had no issue but wont know for sure until I drive it. I changed out my broken throttle cable with the new holley cable. the quality difference between the cheap knock off cable and a real braided cable is ridiculous. lesson learned about being cheap when it counts. with the new cable I was able to use the new throttle bracket that I had to remove because the cheaper cable was binding. so as it sits throttle cable on, front float level correct, fuel pressure at 6psi. I only backed the truck out of the garage and then back into its spot but the pedal feel is night and day from the old cable. I need to raise the rear float but all is well in evil truck land tonight. heres a couple of quick pics. washing the motor was not on my list of needs.

svr 11-05-2017 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on my wheel tubs today, carved out a new set of dyes for my bead roller so I could put a matching stiffener in the side to match the original bed pattern. Then rolled a flange around the arc of the side pieces so I dont have to butt weld them in. Punched some holes so I can spot weld the inside and then weld the outside. Need to get some long clamps or vise grips so I can clamp the side tight as I weld them.

svr 11-05-2017 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another

evilokc 11-05-2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svr (Post 8076228)
Worked on my wheel tubs today, carved out a new set of dyes for my bead roller so I could put a matching stiffener in the side to match the original bed pattern. Then rolled a flange around the arc of the side pieces so I dont have to butt weld them in. Punched some holes so I can spot weld the inside and then weld the outside. Need to get some long clamps or vise grips so I can clamp the side tight as I weld them.

how wide are you going on the wheels?

svr 11-05-2017 10:39 PM

Current tires are 285 wide, with stock C4 rims and 1 1/2" spacers they barely work and clear both inside and outside. Would need exactly the right rims to work without spacers so this will allow some wiggle room. So im adding 5" to clear my sway bar links and leave room for more tire just in case someday.

svr 11-05-2017 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rolling the flange

svr 11-05-2017 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ready to weld in

Kevin Mac 11-06-2017 11:25 PM

Nothing to special here, but I did manage to save some money on bed end brake lights. The plugs were already there so I found some 1" trailer marker lights to make them out of. The stock brake lights are none too bright so it is more a safety thing for me.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/.../thumbnail.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...mbnail%202.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...mbnail%204.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...mbnail%206.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...mbnail%205.jpg

Mac

evilokc 11-07-2017 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Mac (Post 8076981)
Nothing to special here, but I did manage to save some money on bed end brake lights. The plugs were already there so I found some 1" trailer marker lights to make them out of. The stock brake lights are none too bright so it is more a safety thing for me.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/.../thumbnail.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...mbnail%202.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...mbnail%204.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...mbnail%206.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/...mbnail%205.jpg

Mac

dude those look cool. good work.

DeeJayNOLA 11-07-2017 07:51 AM

I'll be moving out to Albuquerque soon {like before Christmas}with or without my '49 Chevy 3600. But definitely with my '53 IH Travelall. See you in the desert.

MARTINSR 11-07-2017 10:36 PM

I haven't done crap but it's cool to see what you guys have done, some awesome stuff!

Brian

Black_Sheep 11-07-2017 11:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Funny how a simple job like mounting the throttle pedal and installing the cable can eat up an evening...

dsraven 11-08-2017 12:26 AM

SVR,
looks like some nice craftsmanship there. post up a pic of the completed job, I'd like to see how it came out. do you metalwork the end of the channel made in the midpanel area or are the dies clamped tight enough so only the metal in between the dies stretches maybe?

svr 11-08-2017 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes the dies clamp tight and only stretch the metal where irun them, i left the metal at the end of each run flat so they would weld easy, heres a bit of progress, all welded up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8077763)
SVR,
looks like some nice craftsmanship there. post up a pic of the completed job, I'd like to see how it came out. do you metalwork the end of the channel made in the midpanel area or are the dies clamped tight enough so only the metal in between the dies stretches maybe?

svr 11-08-2017 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another

svr 11-08-2017 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Will finish the weld with a bit of filler on the outside and bed liner like the inside of the fenders when finished.

dsraven 11-08-2017 11:28 PM

that looks awesome.great skills. thanks for the pics too.

idbeast 11-09-2017 02:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got my rear spring shackles removed, and getting ready to install the new 4 link!

Kevin Mac 11-09-2017 10:32 PM

idbeast what kit did you get. I am looking into the parabolic spring but if they are close in price I would like to do 4 link. Thanks

Mac

idbeast 11-10-2017 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Mac (Post 8079061)
idbeast what kit did you get. I am looking into the parabolic spring but if they are close in price I would like to do 4 link. Thanks

Mac

I just bought the Performance On Line Kit because of the rectangular upper shock bracket like HEIDTS, is the complete kit and it has a Limited Lifetime warranty!
https://www.performanceonline.com/19...-Kit-Complete/ and it is $999 but if you watch the web site I got it for 10% off and got it with the Blacked out Coil-over adjustable shocks with 14 dampening adjustments!

Jim