The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

Black_Sheep 11-11-2017 11:27 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

1 Attachment(s)
Last night I made up a bracket to mount the fuse panel under the dash without any hardware through the smoothed firewall

evilokc 11-12-2017 01:16 PM

spent the afternoon trying to get my fuel pressure right. I set it at 6spi and after driving a bit it seemed to labor at idle. I got out and looked and the fuel pressure had dropped to 4psi. as it idled the pressure rose back up to 6psi and the idle returned to normal. this continued to happen. I kept trying to raise the fuel pressure but once the truck started driving the pressure would shoot up. I finally raised the float level a small amount and set the pressure at 6.5 and that held for the very short drive. I'm testing again today. I hope that's issue fixed. spending 3 hours on something a silly as fuel pressure is dumb. the little things eat so much time. I replaced the throttle cable and bracket last week and believe I need to re-adjust the accelerator pump. I'm getting close though. the throttle feels great and besides this small fuel pressure thing the truck seems pretty happy. the flooding issue seems to have been corrected by the new needle and seat.

Black_Sheep 11-12-2017 09:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This weekend I got the fuse panel installed and wired up the basic circuits needed for it to start and run with the ignition switch. The wiring harness runs along the back of the block so only a small portion of wiring in the engine compartment is visible...

MiraclePieCo 11-12-2017 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finish welded my motor mount pedestals, permanently installed my steering rack and did a trial fit of the motor. Oil pan and steering u-joint clear as designed.
Next step, firewall filling and MC mount.

evilokc 11-13-2017 12:06 AM

haven't been able to get on top of my fuel pressure issue. the only thing I learned today that may help my fuel starvation is that the float level on a sight glass holley vs a sight plug are different. both of my floats are too low. I looked at everything I could thing of as a cause. filter is new, fuel lines are new, tank vent is open and I tested that theory with no change. not having enough fuel in the bowl would cause starvation. fingers crossed. wont be able to really check for a coupe of days though.

Jesse Z 11-14-2017 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8081159)
haven't been able to get on top of my fuel pressure issue. the only thing I learned today that may help my fuel starvation is that the float level on a sight glass holley vs a sight plug are different. both of my floats are too low. I looked at everything I could thing of as a cause. filter is new, fuel lines are new, tank vent is open and I tested that theory with no change. not having enough fuel in the bowl would cause starvation. fingers crossed. wont be able to really check for a coupe of days though.

Is your level low or your pressure low - or both?

bowt1ed 11-14-2017 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mocked up the front sheet metal for the first time since blowing the truck apart a couple of years ago. During the build I replaced the worn out, 1 coil cut springs with new Hotchkis lowering springs. To my dismay, the truck sits about 3" higher now. I guess the old springs (2nd Gen) sagged more over time than I realized. Looking at bringing it back down to where I want it with drop spindles (since LCA is parallel to ground) - but now looks like I'm going to have to get some different headers. Headers are currently a little over 4" off the ground, and with the new spindles - well, not ideal for keeping them attached to the truck. I'll have to see if Summit will honor swapping out 2 year old, brand new Doug's long tube pipes!

Cheers, Jim

vintovka 11-14-2017 08:00 PM

I drove mine the 40 miles home from the shop on 101{right next to the ocean waves} from Brookings to just above Gold Beach Oregon. Got honks waves and pictures taken along the way. This was my first real drive in nearly 20 years. Stopped for gas along the way and another car guy took me for a hair raising ride in his 160 MPH 650 HP Corvette special race car. Quite a day,

evilokc 11-14-2017 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Z (Post 8082063)
Is your level low or your pressure low - or both?

I believe my float levels were low. my fuel pressure would start correct but drop off as the fuel bowls emptied. I raised the floats. I hope that helps.

my56chevytruck 11-15-2017 01:34 AM

Very nice work

robertsjm711 11-15-2017 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintovka (Post 8082519)
I drove mine the 40 miles home from the shop on 101{right next to the ocean waves} from Brookings to just above Gold Beach Oregon. Got honks waves and pictures taken along the way. This was my first real drive in nearly 20 years. Stopped for gas along the way and another car guy took me for a hair raising ride in his 160 MPH 650 HP Corvette special race car. Quite a day,

I can’t imagine a better day. Congrats

MiraclePieCo 11-15-2017 10:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
When I originally bought my truck as an unfinished project, I was pleased to note that the firewall holes had already been filled by the previous owner. I naively assumed that this would save me lots of work - wrong.

The holes had been filled by taking pieces of scrap metal, smearing bondo on them, sticking them over the holes from the back side of the firewall, then sanding the face smooth. Even the gaping 4-inch heater motor hole was filled in this manner. Just slightly tapping on these with a hammer easily knocked them out.

So now instead of installing my new firewall-mount master cylinder and booster, I get to spend the next few days patching holes :cuss:

Also please see my thread requesting opinions on how best to fill my firewall, thanks!

nvrdone 11-15-2017 11:50 PM

p/o should have used chicken wire to back up the bondo. works great !!!

Black_Sheep 11-16-2017 10:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mount and wire the oil and water temp gauges, check...

evilokc 11-17-2017 07:20 PM

worked on my fuel pressure/ float levels today. raising the front float did help a bit. the truck isn't laboring at idle anymore. the pressure does drop when I check it at stop signs but it didn't get low enough to cause problems. I drove about 15 miles and it never labored at idle after driving. its still not right though. the off idle acceleration isn't smooth. I checked the accelerator pump adjustment with a .015 and its correct. so I'm not sure why my gentle tip in feel lean. the float level on the rear bowl isn't right. it went from low to high. I need to drop that level a little. that may be linked to my sketchy acceleration. I'm glad everything I do makes it better but its getting annoying that its taking so long.

evilokc 11-20-2017 12:07 PM

Friday i drove 15 miles. it wasn't great but it drove. yesterday i tried to pull it out of the garage and it didn't want to idle. tried over and over until finally the rear float started overflowing. I'm so sick of this carb. ive run carbs before and never had issues like this with the edelbrocks. its one thing after the other and when i fix something it seems to unfix itself. i don't even know what my next step should be. I'm annoyed and frustrated.

robertsjm711 11-20-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8086526)
Friday i drove 15 miles. it wasn't great but it drove. yesterday i tried to pull it out of the garage and it didn't want to idle. tried over and over until finally the rear float started overflowing. I'm so sick of this carb. ive run carbs before and never had issues like this with the edelbrocks. its one thing after the other and when i fix something it seems to unfix itself. i don't even know what my next step should be. I'm annoyed and frustrated.

Could it be something other than the carb, like an intake leak, timing, ignition module? Would you or a buddy have another carb to put on to make sure it is the carb?

I had a quadra-junk on an old Chevy back in the day and it had a vacuum leak at the throttle body primary shaft - it was a non-replacable bushing that turned it into a boat anchor. I spent days and weeks, rebuilding, gaskets, chasing rabbits down dark, evil holes. I know that pain and hate to see others go through it.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle

mud.man.rj 11-21-2017 12:40 AM

I run Edelbrocks year round on all trucks, lowered and lifted, small or big block, no problems...ever, every project I build for others, to many to count Edelbrock, no come backs, but 1/4 mile or straight mud racing I do get a "bit" more performance out of a Holley but still act up more often.
Mudman.

vintovka 11-21-2017 11:10 AM

Sorry to say my last 2 Edelbrock carbs were defective garbage. First one would not tune due to internal issues and last one had a vacuum leak only a spacer block and 2 thick gaskets would cure. These were brand new and installed on a brand new Edelbrock intake. I spoke to several Edelbrock reps several times. Some were flat rude and others listened but IMHO did not care. Cost us $100's in shop costs ( i have the bills) and weeks of delay and frustration. Think they have have quality control issues. Seems like even old reliable name brand (like Maytag and Craftsman) has gone to hell lately so keep your receipts handy and expect the worst.

gigamanx 11-21-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 8086993)
I run Edelbrocks year round on all trucks, lowered and lifted, small or big block, no problems...ever, every project I build for others, to many to count Edelbrock, no come backs, but 1/4 mile or straight mud racing I do get a "bit" more performance out of a Holley but still act up more often.
Mudman.

I'm of the same mindset that maybe its the carb that is the issue. My edelbrock 1406 came out of the box stock and with a couple of idle adjustments to the outside screws, it runs and operates normally. I have 4.5psi of fuel pressure. If you lived closer, I'd pull mine off just so you could throw it on and test it out. It's an expensive trial and error thing to do without another car guy that can loan you a carb.

robertsjm711 11-21-2017 06:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pulled motor & dropped pan to make sure it is a 5.3 vs a 4.8... and it is a 5.3!!!

Got it used from private party saying it was a 5.3, but after cleaning I found a 4.8 stamped on the tab on the head gasket, and injectors for a flex fuel.

All is good!!!:metal:

Black_Sheep 11-21-2017 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting stuff wired up...

Russell Ashley 11-21-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsjm711 (Post 8087428)
Pulled motor & dropped pan to make sure it is a 5.3 vs a 4.8... and it is a 5.3!!!

Got it used from private party saying it was a 5.3, but after cleaning I found a 4.8 stamped on the tab on the head gasket, and injectors for a flex fuel.

All is good!!!:metal:

The 5.3 in my 02 Suburban is a flex-fuel engine. Were you thinking the injectors were not from a 5.3?

robertsjm711 11-21-2017 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 8087584)
The 5.3 in my 02 Suburban is a flex-fuel engine. Were you thinking the injectors were not from a 5.3?

Oh, yes, that probably didn’t make any sense. The guy told me it was a 2001 5.3 non-flex, and 5.3 flex didn’t come out till 2002-2003 (depending on where you look), which made it confusing on what it actually was, and with a “4.8” stamped on the head gasket tab made me think twice (or three times...)

Overall I now am confident it is a 2002 flex 5.3 - injectors, crank/piston/rod casting, and non-DBW throttle body all say 5.3.

MiraclePieCo 11-22-2017 05:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Threw some primer on my newly-filled firewall.

robertsjm711 11-23-2017 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
De-Swiss cheesing the firewall. Won’t look as sweet as the guy above, but I won’t get as wet from the rain.

MiraclePieCo 11-23-2017 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsjm711 (Post 8088469)
De-Swiss cheesing the firewall. Won’t look as sweet as the guy above, but I won’t get as wet from the rain.

;-) Winter is coming - those holes will let a lot of heat in the cab to keep you warm!

I've been watching your build and wanted ask you what you have found is the best procedure for installing your front sheet metal - assemble on the ground first, or one piece at a time? What's the best order? Thanks!

robertsjm711 11-23-2017 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8088511)
;-) Winter is coming - those holes will let a lot of heat in the cab to keep you warm!

I've been watching your build and wanted ask you what you have found is the best procedure for installing your front sheet metal - assemble on the ground first, or one piece at a time? What's the best order? Thanks!

Well, a little of both. If I have help available, I remove it as a clip, radiator and all. I kept this in mint when creating the wiring harness so I can just move it aside. I can get it off by myself but need someone to get it back on. It is not exactly "show ready", so if I am not too concerned if I scrap the bottom on the ground. If alone, I'll remove piece by piece by piece.

When fitting for the first time, I set up everything loose and used stands to get the alignment right and figured out how they would mount. It seems every time I add something this changes a bit, but it is a process.

Black_Sheep 11-24-2017 06:53 PM

Still wrapping up some wiring but it starts and runs again. I brought the truck up to temp to burp the air pockets out of the cooling system...

https://www.facebook.com/25349890836...9675440418896/

Moeller 11-26-2017 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Continued to clean down my frame (1953), dirty work.....
Attachment 1711385

MiraclePieCo 11-27-2017 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moeller (Post 8090635)
Continued to clean down my frame (1953), dirty work.....
Attachment 1711385

Looks like you're well-equipped. Welcome to the forum, and keep us posted on your progress.

gigamanx 11-27-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8086526)

A whole 7 days...Got it resolved?

dsraven 11-29-2017 01:30 PM

anybody with LS questions, check this out.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...SPrimer/Part1/

the site also has some tech tips on other stuff as well, fabbing, suspension etc. some good reads if you have time.

59GMCApache 12-01-2017 12:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got my moser 9 in tack welded in.

evilokc 12-01-2017 09:16 AM

haven't touched it in over a week. had family in town for the holiday. hoping to break it worse...I mean fix it this weekend.

Russell Ashley 12-02-2017 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put about 60 miles on it today, most I've driven it all year. Got lots of good comments and thumbs up.

evilokc 12-03-2017 12:49 AM

since I cant get the piece of crap to run well enough to take it to the body shop to have the fender fixed I removed the fender so it can be taken to the body shop. hope they will get it straighten out. I have been doing some custom work to my motorcycle while steeping away from the tuck. I'm forming a plan though.

MiraclePieCo 12-03-2017 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 8095297)
Put about 60 miles on it today, most I've driven it all year. Got lots of good comments and thumbs up.

Count one more thumb up from me!

ItsJustMoney 12-03-2017 06:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my repop fender burned in. It takes a lot of time and a bit of tweaking to get the gaps just right. Sorry trying to figure out how to flip the pics.

svr 12-03-2017 10:58 PM

Declared mockup done and blew it all back apart to finish the welding on the frame and get some paint on it. Back to frame and running gear on jack stands again. Am sure i missed something during the mockup. And gave the shop a good sweeping and straightened up the place so maybe i can find everything again.