The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

Marty68 01-16-2020 01:37 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

"Should I use high temp, self etching or 2k primer?"
I would use epoxy for best adhesion. then if it will get painted single stage color

Clarance J 01-18-2020 10:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First post this year.

Its wet and nasty outside so not to much I can do on my truck until it warms up a little. I want welting on the rear fenders so this is the perfect job for indoors.

Earl

Dachshund 01-18-2020 11:06 PM

I worked on building a seat riser for my 47. I couldn't find a new riser, so I built one.

MiraclePieCo 01-19-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarance J (Post 8661959)
First post this year.

Its wet and nasty outside so not to much I can do on my truck until it warms up a little. I want welting on the rear fenders so this is the perfect job for indoors.

Earl

I live near you. Ditto on the wet and nasty. Six inches of snow at my house, power out for two days.

Clarance J 01-19-2020 09:53 PM

Hey MPC. Yeah it does kinda take the incentive away. Lower elevation snow is pretty much gone but its only January. Used to enjoy winter weather but not any more. We just gotta wait for warmer weather.

Earl

evilokc 01-19-2020 10:08 PM

been driving the wheels off. ive finished with my poor broken firebird so im back to the deathrattle now. I have a couple of things to do and an electrical issue to fix but overall the rattle trucking on

DransportGarage 01-22-2020 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarance J (Post 8661959)
First post this year.

Earl

Yup. It takes a full 10 feet of welting to do a rear fender. Ask me how I now own two 9 foot strips of welting. Nice job on the sewing. It's one of the four skills I haven't mastered, including:

Chrome plating (no equipment)
Front end alignment (no rack, but I can do basic stuff)
Machining (can do, but no machines)

I do everything else I need to do - not always perfectly - based on Ogre's motto: "Poverty is the Mother of Necessity"!

MiraclePieCo 01-22-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8663898)
Nice job on the sewing. It's one of the four skills I haven't mastered, including:
Chrome plating (no equipment)
Front end alignment (no rack, but I can do basic stuff)
I do everything else I need to do - not always perfectly - based on Ogre's motto: "Poverty is the Mother of Necessity"!

When I get carried away with the "do it yourself" mentality, my wife brings me back in line by asking, "Are you going to smelt your own steel too?" That's when I realize that taking a job to an expert is easier, quicker and often actually cheaper.

idbeast 01-23-2020 12:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Finally some progress on the beast, the interior is being worked on!!!!!:alky::ennyd:

idbeast 01-23-2020 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8663898)
Yup. It takes a full 10 feet of welting to do a rear fender. Ask me how I now own two 9 foot strips of welting. Nice job on the sewing. It's one of the four skills I haven't mastered, including:

I have an extra lathe I'm willing to let go really cheap, if you're interested.

DransportGarage 01-23-2020 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8664527)
I have an extra lathe I'm willing to let go really cheap, if you're interested.

Thanks, idbeast, but I'd have to have a place to put it (and I'd have to get it to Ohio). Maybe you can make somebody out on the west coast happy? Thanks for thinking of me though.

idbeast 01-24-2020 12:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Some more interior pictures from today.

idbeast 01-24-2020 12:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I also had them change the color back of the seats from orange to black. I think it's looking good!

mick53 01-24-2020 02:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I got my axle back from Pete and Jakes. I took me over 2 years and some legal action to get the spindles made. Not Pete and Jakes fault, they have been awesome. The problem was that the brake kit I wanted, 12/88" 6 piston nickle plated only fits a Heidts spindle pin profile. Many said it can't be done some said it would cost thousands. In the end my head engineer on my dry ice plants that I build did it for free. I still have to alter the caliper brackets but I'm getting close.

MiraclePieCo 01-24-2020 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8665169)
I got my axle back from Pete and Jakes. I took me over 2 years and some legal action to get the spindles made. Not Pete and Jakes fault, they have been awesome. The problem was that the brake kit I wanted, 12/88" 6 piston nickle plated only fits a Heidts spindle pin profile. Many said it can't be done some said it would cost thousands. In the end my head engineer on my dry ice plants that I build did it for free. I still have to alter the caliper brackets but I'm getting close.

That is some amazing looking parts.

DransportGarage 01-24-2020 04:07 AM

You guys are movin' forward in style!

idbeast 01-24-2020 06:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I just brought the beast home from the upholstery place to work on putting the wiring down the center console and hook up my power window switch and power door lock wiring.

oldman3 01-24-2020 09:05 PM

very nice...Jim

oldman3 01-24-2020 09:19 PM

OK fellows, I'm out asking for votes again. idbeast and myself are in this months running for Truck of the month. idbeast is #1 with his beautiful 56. I'm #3 with my roadster pickup. We are up against some nice rides. Let's get out and vote for the 47 to 59 forum. Thanks...Jim

joedoh 01-25-2020 02:13 AM

if everyone who read this voted for jim, or idbeast, they wouuld win by a 1000 vote margin,

idbeast 01-25-2020 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8665664)
OK fellows, I'm out asking for votes again. idbeast and myself are in this months running for Truck of the month. idbeast is #1 with his beautiful 56. I'm #3 with my roadster pickup. We are up against some nice rides. Let's get out and vote for the 47 to 59 forum. Thanks...Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8665654)
very nice...Jim

Thanks Jim, I hope one of us get it!

Jim W

idbeast 01-25-2020 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8665801)
if everyone who read this voted for jim, or idbeast, they wouuld win by a 1000 vote margin,

Thanks joedoh!

oldman3 01-25-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8665801)

Thanks Russ

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8665809)
Thanks Jim, I hope one of us get it!

Jim W

So do I. Best of luck...Jim

DransportGarage 01-25-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8665889)
Thanks Russ

So do I. Best of luck...Jim

Two great, worthy trucks, but unfortunately you guys have split the vote!

MiraclePieCo 01-25-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8665966)
Two great, worthy trucks, but unfortunately you guys have split the vote!

This is perhaps the nicest group of TOM candidates I've seen since I've been on this forum. A couple of those Fleetsides are ridiculous! Agreed that splitting the vote is going to put our guys at a disadvantage.