The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

evilokc 01-30-2018 08:56 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8172889)
try pulling the dome light bulb and checking for a short. sometimes it is the wrong bulb installed, or just pull the whole thing and bench test it. if you bench test it and it's good then you just need a good power source and then a wire to ground it at the headlight switch. sometimes easier and quicker to start over.

i pulled the whole unit out and put in a brand new bulb. my understanding is I need a power wire and when its grounded it will light. that's what I was trying when I popped the fuse.

sharp_1 01-30-2018 09:01 AM

Pulled wiring harness and starting over!

Last guy had the dome light blinking with the flasher, front parking lights on with the brake lights, fan on with accessory switch...do I need to keep going?

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/sLe...=w1470-h828-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rn...=w1470-h828-no

MiraclePieCo 01-31-2018 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharp_1 (Post 8173791)
Pulled wiring harness and starting over!

Last guy had the dome light blinking with the flasher, front parking lights on with the brake lights, fan on with accessory switch...do I need to keep going?

LOL, that would be funny if it weren't so tragic!

Black_Sheep 02-03-2018 05:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
making more dust...

evilokc 02-03-2018 06:48 PM

my whole crew and I have the flu. I wont be doing any work for a while. I did get some door parts in the mail though. if I ever get better I will be back on the lighting. still haven't found the correct size c clip for my shifter.

dflarsen77 02-03-2018 10:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
First time posting on the 47-59 forum. I just inherited my father in laws 54 panel. It's whole and mostly original, 235 and 3 speed on the floor. It hasn't run in years, the wiring is a mess. But I wanted this truck for years. Tried to buy it in the late 90s. I have to finish my 70 C10 before I get anything done on the 54, but I'm excited! Has original grille, chrome running boards, seats.

vintovka 02-03-2018 10:55 PM

Glad Im not only one with upside down and sideways pics. Looks like a nice project on a scarce vehicle. Reminds me of my 52 suburban and that cross counry trip to woodstock.

mud.man.rj 02-04-2018 12:03 AM

Like the panel, congrat's.
Mudman.

Softpatch 02-04-2018 01:32 AM

I too like the 54 Panel

mud.man.rj 02-04-2018 02:32 AM

The outside looks rough so the inside is quite a nice surprise, so solid.
Mudman.

evilokc 02-04-2018 04:18 PM

that's going to be cool! I like the 54 sheet metal the best and a panel is just cool.

Black_Sheep 02-04-2018 08:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Making dust...

Jesse Z 02-05-2018 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dflarsen77 (Post 8177555)
I just inherited my father in laws 54 panel. But I wanted this truck for years. Tried to buy it in the late 90s. I'm excited!

Did you marry your wife just to get a shot at this truck? If so, it was worth it!

MiraclePieCo 02-10-2018 10:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
51 Panel: Made some strap tensioners today to hold my rear-mount fuel tank in place.

Black_Sheep 02-11-2018 12:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I finished up the bodywork on the DS rear fender, swept the shop then opened both doors and blew it out with the backpack leaf blower. Once the shop was "clean" I took a break from sanding and worked on some loose ends. First step was adding some Dynaliner on the floor under and behind the seat. Then I finished modifying the brake pedal, painted it and cut out 40oz jute carpet padding to fit the flat portion of the floor.

Today's goal is to install the freshly painted brake pedal, figure out the console wiring (stereo and power port) and get some jute cut out for the passenger side toe board. If time permits, I got a nice chunk of aluminum to make a column mount for the tach. I better get busy...

evilokc 02-11-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 8172807)
Now that's some work on those doors at one time, unique.
Mudman.

did the doors about 15 years ago. ive always enjoyed them. I think for a short time you would see this at car shows but ive never run into another suicide door driver.

mud.man.rj 02-11-2018 06:49 PM

Can see why on trucks, usually all about the doors on a classic car, nice to see on a truck.
Mudman.

OrrieG 02-11-2018 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scored some 59 Fleetside spear trim pieces, just the ends. Does anyone know if the straight trim pieces with the curve on the front ends is unique to the fleetside, or possibly used from another GM product?

Softpatch 02-13-2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 8185384)
Scored some 59 Fleetside spear trim pieces, just the ends. Does anyone know if the straight trim pieces with the curve on the front ends is unique to the fleetside, or possibly used from another GM product?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1518396254
I don't know what that is But I know I like it
Probably get your answer for "Chevy's of the 50's"
............Sp

Black_Sheep 02-18-2018 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I put spacers between the frame and the brake pedal mount to center the brake pedal in the hole through the toe board. Once that was done, I trimmed the pushrod between the pedal and booster and adjusted the pedal height so it won't bump off the toe board when I let off the brakes. Minor detail, but it was something I felt was very annoying. Now I can figure out where the stop light switch should go and get that in.

I also tried to fire it up, but no joy. After adding a few gallons of fuel it popped right off, all systems are go...

Wyattdog2 02-18-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8160875)
Played with my X Member kit

Did you buy that x member kit? Nice work btw, i have stock s10 frame still but that looks like it would be beneficial

OrrieG 02-18-2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 8185384)

Pieces arrived, show quality as promised. Now just need to score some fair priced straight runs (actually have a curve in the end to follow the bed trim line). The place in Canada wants $300 each for the four pieces.

Wyattdog2 02-18-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Softpatch (Post 8170139)
Get out your wallet
here it is (front drive Kit) AllAmerciamBillet.com

No billet for this build.

evilokc 02-18-2018 06:19 PM

i made a little progress on my heat/ac unit. the issue is that I have a 10 plus year old unit from "hot rod air" that has never run. I'm missing all the interior parts except the evaporator. I have been talking with "vintage air" to see if their controls and replacement parts will work. their exceptional customer service has led me to some answers. the hot rod air unit uses electric servos for the a/c and the vintage air controls will work on that no problem. the heat on the hot rod air unit is vacuum. vintage air is all electric. they sell a conversion kit to change the vacuum heat to electric. I'm pricing all the missing parts I need and the conversion kit to see if I'm going to do that or purchase a complete interior only kit that has a new evaporator and all the needed interior parts. it will be a cost based decision. I know the conversion will be cheaper than the kit but once I add all the bits and pieced the cost difference may not be as large as I'm thinking. if its just a couple hundred difference I will be a lot more comfortable with a new kit with all matching parts.

gigamanx 02-18-2018 06:44 PM

Originally tried putting my fuel pump near the front of the truck and had fuel issues when I was sitting on a hill. Moved it to the rear and "while I was there" ran hard lines to clean up the engine. Anyone know if I can run hard lines for vacuum and PCV lines too? Would look sweet to get rid of all those rubber tubes.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4748/...22f2b11b74.jpg

svr 02-18-2018 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a start on my exhaust

svr 02-18-2018 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So far so good, welder ran out of shielding gas

gigamanx 02-18-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svr (Post 8191458)
So far so good, welder ran out of shielding gas

Seems to always be the case...shield gas running out right in the middle of a project. I just ran out of wire the other day when I had just started welding up some brackets on a Sunday no less. Ugh.

svr 02-18-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigamanx (Post 8191454)
Originally tried putting my fuel pump near the front of the truck and had fuel issues when I was sitting on a hill. Moved it to the rear and "while I was there" ran hard lines to clean up the engine. Anyone know if I can run hard lines for vacuum and PCV lines too? Would look sweet to get rid of all those rubber tubes.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4748/...22f2b11b74.jpg

I know of no reason you can't run hard lines, am using hard lines on mine, my original had a hard vacum line, just make sure pcv line is big enough im using 3/8

MiraclePieCo 02-18-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svr (Post 8191457)
Got a start on my exhaust

Looks super clean. You are much more perfectionistic on those joints than me. No doubt it will pay off in a clean-appearing and leak-free junction.

svr 02-18-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8191617)
Looks super clean. You are much more perfectionistic on those joints than me. No doubt it will pay off in a clean-appearing and leak-free junction.

LOL, I didnt take pics of the gaps and not quite straight areas, have cut a bunch spot welds and had to redo.

Wyattdog2 02-19-2018 02:46 PM

I had all my 50 gauges rebuilt but now that i dropped a 01 ls1 i am thinking i might just modify my dash to accept similar year gauges into my dash since i dont care for the style and cost of the aftermarket ones i have seen. Has anyone put modern car or truck gauges (salvage Yard) in a 47 to 53?

idbeast 02-19-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyattdog2 (Post 8191268)
Did you buy that x member kit? Nice work btw, i have stock s10 frame still but that looks like it would be beneficial

Yes, I bought it. I was looking for pre-made boxing plates and found these, they were actually almost $200 cheaper then the boxing plates!No Limit X-Member Kit

idbeast 02-19-2018 08:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the topside and sides of the frame painted today!

Jesse Z 02-20-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyattdog2 (Post 8192126)
Has anyone put modern car or truck gauges (salvage Yard) in a 47 to 53?

I have seen it done a lot so I know it's feasible.

Black_Sheep 02-21-2018 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Had some time to kill while the parts I painted were drying so I whipped up a column mount for the tach out of a chunk of aluminum. The mount that came with the gauge cup was pretty fugly...

Dan in Pasadena 02-21-2018 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8192378)
Got the topside and sides of the frame painted today!

Curious, what material you used? Automotive grade paint or something like Rustoleum? Looks nicely done!

Dan in Pasadena 02-21-2018 11:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I pulled out my window regulators today to starting installing my side windows and wind wings. The rollers are partly broken and they’re all frozen solid. They don’t rotate at all.

I bought new rollers from CPP awhile back and finally opened the envelope today to see they come with new rivets. I wasn’t sure how to go about installing them until it occurred to me to check YouTube. Sure enough, Danchuk has a short video telling you how to replace them for a TriFive car - whose regulators are essentially identical to our TF trucks.

Here’s the video. There may be others.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xF1rok1yN9s

idbeast 02-22-2018 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8194530)
Curious, what material you used? Automotive grade paint or something like Rustoleum? Looks nicely done!

Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black Gloss Finish

jweb 02-22-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyattdog2 (Post 8192126)
I had all my 50 gauges rebuilt but now that i dropped a 01 ls1 i am thinking i might just modify my dash to accept similar year gauges into my dash since i dont care for the style and cost of the aftermarket ones i have seen. Has anyone put modern car or truck gauges (salvage Yard) in a 47 to 53?

It's easy to keep the stock gauges.

Use this for the speedo: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-ecd-100-1

And this for the oil pressure:https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g6326

Then you can drill and tap the head for the temp sensor.