The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My 52 GMC Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=648459)

lower50's 06-21-2016 03:03 AM

Re: My 52 GMC Build

5 Attachment(s)
There was some really cool cars and race cars there. #11 raced in the can-am series was there for demonstration and ran a few laps, very loud, very fast.
#90 was from Seattle 2500mi away.
#72 is my GF's older cousin who finished 6th in class. 160+ mph at the at the end of the strait which is all up hill.
He is 5th in this vid.
http://vid51.photobucket.com/albums/...psigub4kpt.mp4
Attachment 1545173

Attachment 1545174

Attachment 1545175

Attachment 1545176

Attachment 1545177

lower50's 06-21-2016 03:07 AM

My Drag racing vid My very first time down the strip.
http://vid51.photobucket.com/albums/...psdhgytvtv.mp4

RDrancher 06-21-2016 10:36 AM

Digging all the updates Lower! Our new place in the country is pretty close to this little road track http://eaglescanyon.com/. We haven't been there yet, but I can hear them running around a couple of turns that are closer to our house.

On your recycled asphalt (RAP) driveway install, go rent a plate compactor and spray the material down with water while you run it back and forth. It'll pack it down real nice as long as you don't get the material too thick. The water keeps it from cracking while your compacting. Since yours is a straight drive, the material will stay pretty nice for a long time. Don't forget that round-up is your friend when it comes to keeping the grass from sprouting.

We used to spray RAP with diesel after compacting back in the day which really consolidated it, but these days I'll bet it's illegal in all 50 states and up your way as well. Smelled just a bit too!

RockinKees 06-21-2016 04:56 PM

Nice pics Lower!!
I'm a huge dragrace fan and ofcourse watched the video.
Looks good and sounds good!!
Bet you had an ear to ear smile :lol::lol::metal:

lower50's 06-21-2016 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDrancher (Post 7631088)
Digging all the updates Lower! Our new place in the country is pretty close to this little road track http://eaglescanyon.com/. We haven't been there yet, but I can hear them running around a couple of turns that are closer to our house.

On your recycled asphalt (RAP) driveway install, go rent a plate compactor and spray the material down with water while you run it back and forth. It'll pack it down real nice as long as you don't get the material too thick. The water keeps it from cracking while your compacting. Since yours is a straight drive, the material will stay pretty nice for a long time. Don't forget that round-up is your friend when it comes to keeping the grass from sprouting.

We used to spray RAP with diesel after compacting back in the day which really consolidated it, but these days I'll bet it's illegal in all 50 states and up your way as well. Smelled just a bit too!

Looks like a cool track. We did rent a 20" compactor and had a 6' skid steer. We also where wetting it down as we went. We are very happy with the results.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7631423)
Nice pics Lower!!
I'm a huge dragrace fan and ofcourse watched the video.
Looks good and sounds good!!
Bet you had an ear to ear smile :lol::lol::metal:

Thanks Kees and yes ear to ear!!

lower50's 06-21-2016 11:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Driveway work and completed. My friend Joe came to help, my boys, my GF and me went really well. Still need a bit of rolling to smooth out some ridges, but so nice to drive on. Before I had to lift the GMC all the way up just to get out of the driveway. Now I just need ride height.:metal: OH and last weekend pulling the trailer the outside temperature was 93F/34C felt like 102F/38C
Attachment 1545370

Attachment 1545371

Attachment 1545372

Attachment 1545373

Attachment 1545374

Dieselwrencher 06-22-2016 02:41 PM

That definitely looks much better! Great job!

joedoh 06-22-2016 05:03 PM

huh that is a neat idea for a driveway, is that common there? I have 200ft of gravel and its a bear to keep up

love the homemade trailer!

RDrancher 06-22-2016 08:55 PM

Good job on the driveway install. Enjoy!

lower50's 06-22-2016 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7632313)
That definitely looks much better! Great job!

Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 7632421)
huh that is a neat idea for a driveway, is that common there? I have 200ft of gravel and its a bear to keep up

love the homemade trailer!

More common than just gravel, packs in nice and tight. Same price per yard as A-gravel. Most people have a paved driveway in the city.
Trailer sleeps the 4 of us and the dog very well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RDrancher (Post 7632615)
Good job on the driveway install. Enjoy!

Thanks We love it.

lower50's 06-23-2016 12:55 AM

So I having a bit of an issue with my compressors popping the circuit beaker I put in, mid cycle. They are viair 480's Max amp draw is listed at 40A. I have a 60A circuit beaker. It started last Saturday. I have 6ga wire to each compressor and all connections are crimped and soldered. The motors are not hot when it pops and all connections and wires are cool. Voltage without motor running is 12.5. I'm thinking it is just a crappy circuit breaker. Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues. Thanks

99 to Life 06-23-2016 11:26 AM

I have two viairs running through a stinger relay and a 30 amp circuit breaker on each one. I had popped two breakers. One time I noticed my ground wire came loose. Another time, I replaced the leader hoses on the comps. WOW what a difference that made. Those things pumped way harder, faster and haven't had the breakers pop since.

rtinniste 06-23-2016 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7632878)
So I having a bit of an issue with my compressors popping the circuit beaker I put in, mid cycle. They are viair 480's Max amp draw is listed at 40A. I have a 60A circuit beaker. It started last Saturday. I have 6ga wire to each compressor and all connections are crimped and soldered. The motors are not hot when it pops and all connections and wires are cool. Voltage without motor running is 12.5. I'm thinking it is just a crappy circuit breaker. Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues. Thanks

How old are the compressors? Are you using the stock viair check valve's because those go bad also.

I had the same problem with my infiniti with a single viair 444c it ended up being my compressor, drove me insane to the point I pulled my entire airlift harness and checked for bare wires and resoldered all my ring terminals etc.

But check all your grounds, swap the breaker for a fuse see what happens, if it happens again could be your check valve, if your check valve is fine its the compressor. That's going from least expensive to worst case scenario.

there's a way to check the compressor with your volt meter can't remember but you'll see it spike once it gets load on it if the compressor is bad.

joedoh 06-23-2016 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7632878)

do you have a drain on your tank? I had a problem with a dual pack of viairs popping big currents, there was at least 32oz of water in the tank and it was causing problems with the check valves. since then I have told other guys with fuse popping problems to check their tanks for water and the responses I get usually run some variant of: holy crap there was like a gallon of water in there.

just a thought. fixed me up though, and I routed the leader hoses higher than the tank ports so that water couldnt collect in the leaders.

lower50's 06-24-2016 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7633163)
I have two viairs running through a stinger relay and a 30 amp circuit breaker on each one. I had popped two breakers. One time I noticed my ground wire came loose. Another time, I replaced the leader hoses on the comps. WOW what a difference that made. Those things pumped way harder, faster and haven't had the breakers pop since.

Thanks 99 I checked my connections all good, I also use a paste like anti seize but made to help in electrical connections.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtinniste (Post 7633189)
How old are the compressors? Are you using the stock viair check valve's because those go bad also.

I had the same problem with my infiniti with a single viair 444c it ended up being my compressor, drove me insane to the point I pulled my entire airlift harness and checked for bare wires and resoldered all my ring terminals etc.

But check all your grounds, swap the breaker for a fuse see what happens, if it happens again could be your check valve, if your check valve is fine its the compressor. That's going from least expensive to worst case scenario.

there's a way to check the compressor with your volt meter can't remember but you'll see it spike once it gets load on it if the compressor is bad.

Thanks rtinniste my compressors are just over a year old. Yes stock check valves. I am putting in a fuse to check the circuit breaker. When I meet up with my electrician friend he has a clamp on DC amp meter and I will verify both amp draw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 7633782)
do you have a drain on your tank? I had a problem with a dual pack of viairs popping big currents, there was at least 32oz of water in the tank and it was causing problems with the check valves. since then I have told other guys with fuse popping problems to check their tanks for water and the responses I get usually run some variant of: holy crap there was like a gallon of water in there.

just a thought. fixed me up though, and I routed the leader hoses higher than the tank ports so that water couldnt collect in the leaders.

Yes I have a drain on both tanks and purge fairly often. Also my leader hoses go into the top part of my tanks.
The 3 of you all say the check valves suck so if i still have a problem after I put in the fuse. I will look at them.
Thanks guys

lower50's 06-27-2016 04:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So I put a 50A fuse parallel to the 60A circuit breaker and popped the breaker to see if 50A fuse would hold. So far it has been working fine, so I guess the cheap, crappy, Chinese 60A circuit breaker was my problem. Thanks for your help guys.
Also met up with this truck again I saw it at the Unfinished show. Nice to see the old stuff driving around.
Attachment 1547144

Attachment 1547145

Dieselwrencher 06-27-2016 08:59 PM

Nice to hear it was a simple fix. When these check valves go bad, what are you guys replacing them with for future reference?

rtinniste 06-28-2016 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7637252)
Nice to hear it was a simple fix. When these check valves go bad, what are you guys replacing them with for future reference?

smc check valves, I threw my stock viair one away and used a smc one from the start
https://www.bagriders.com/smc-compre...eck-valve.html

Dieselwrencher 07-05-2016 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtinniste (Post 7637664)
smc check valves, I threw my stock viair one away and used a smc one from the start
https://www.bagriders.com/smc-compre...eck-valve.html

Thank you. I just got my compressor installed last weekend and I want to get another check valve in case the viair one goes bad.

lower50's 07-07-2016 10:46 AM

When the check valves go bad do they stick shut or leak open?

lower50's 07-07-2016 10:59 AM

So I'm up to 1400mi now and loving every mile.
But my trans is starting to slip and run warm. So talking to my neighbor who gave me the drive train he said "ya it started to slip so we put 2 bottles of Lucas in and it was good" Umm well I wish he told me that when it was sitting on my shop floor. So now the plan is to pull the trans on Sunday July 24 and take it to my transmission shop I deal with. He said should be 3-4 day turn around, fingers crossed. He is also going to put some performance upgrades in it and an new converter. Guess I should have gone through it when I had it almost apart. Live and learn.

Valarius_Starchaser 07-07-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7645994)
So I'm up to 1400mi now and loving every mile.
But my trans is starting to slip and run warm. So talking to my neighbor who gave me the drive train he said "ya it started to slip so we put 2 bottles of Lucas in and it was good" Umm well I wish he told me that when it was sitting on my shop floor. So now the plan is to pull the trans on Sunday July 24 and take it to my transmission shop I deal with. He said should be 3-4 day turn around, fingers crossed. He is also going to put some performance upgrades in it and an new converter. Guess I should have gone through it when I had it almost apart. Live and learn.

The things people "forget" kind of bugs me hope you got it all at a good price to make up for it though

What your not doing the trans yourself? :mm:

lower50's 07-07-2016 11:47 AM

No not doing it myself which sucks :( Don't have the time right now and I have lots of plans with the truck. I would have done it myself when it was still out of the truck or this winter. I could have spent all the time I needed to get it all done. I don't think it will make it that long. I am pulling it out tho.

joedoh 07-07-2016 01:00 PM

gotta love tranny in a bottle. although if memory serves there is a small tube of friction modifier that works great when using modern trans fluid in older transmissions. cant remember the name offhand.

Dieselwrencher 07-07-2016 04:40 PM

It does suck but at least it will be done and you will probably have a warranty on it now too.