The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   HuggerCST's '70 SWB CST build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=295359)

pinetree 10-23-2009 04:08 PM

Re: HuggerCST's '70 SWB CST build

hey thanks for the info on the paint.i just got started putting my grandfathers truck back together.i'ts a 72 3/4t cheyenne with everything including a side tool box.after a wreck in the late 70's the paint shop messed up and painted it red and white.he was so mad.he never did get it repainted.it will be cool to see that hugger oarnge and white again.i wish he was here to see it.

HuggerCST 10-23-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinetree (Post 3582982)
hey thanks for the info on the paint.i just got started putting my grandfathers truck back together.i'ts a 72 3/4t cheyenne with everything including a side tool box.after a wreck in the late 70's the paint shop messed up and painted it red and white.he was so mad.he never did get it repainted.it will be cool to see that hugger oarnge and white again.i wish he was here to see it.

No problem Pinetree, welcome to the board! I'm sure your Grandfather would love to see it. I have a 53 to do one day that was my Grandfathers.

pinetree 10-23-2009 06:30 PM

a 53 that's cool.i've been in the process of tracking down my other grandfather's 57 gmc.my stupid cousin sold it for $300 and a bag of coke 10 years ago.(what a dummy).i think the guy still has it in his garage.thanks again for the info on the paint and enjoy that good lookin truck.

yote1234 11-03-2009 07:02 PM

looks great. thanx for taking the time to share it with us...

mcbassin 01-13-2010 09:09 PM

Wow! love the new avatar! to the top my good man:chevy::chevy:

72BlckButy 01-25-2010 04:07 PM

Wynne... did you paint or coat the inside of the bed sides and under the rear tubs?

HuggerCST 01-25-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 3756361)
Wynne... did you paint or coat the inside of the bed sides and under the rear tubs?

I put a couple of coats of epoxy primer and a layer of undercoating inside the bed panels and under the wheel tubs.

72BlckButy 01-25-2010 09:29 PM

Such an amazing project Wynne... you should be proud!

HuggerCST 01-25-2010 11:53 PM

Thanks Nate. I am proud of it, and love to drive it just as much as I loved building it.

yote1234 01-26-2010 03:35 PM

nice ! nice! nice!. im starting to think about my paint now and i was wondering .. what was 1st the orange or white? and does it make a difference? my painter said orange 1st, but i,ve heard its the white... ?????
mine was original code # 145810. or 581? from the factory the firewall had "hugger" on it.

again.. w o w ! ..... n i c e !!!

72BlckButy 01-26-2010 04:09 PM

From what I've heard, and I am the far from being a paint/body man, I hear you are supposed to spray the white first. It will then "brighten" the other color.

HuggerCST 01-26-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yote1234 (Post 3758806)
nice ! nice! nice!. im starting to think about my paint now and i was wondering .. what was 1st the orange or white? and does it make a difference? my painter said orange 1st, but i,ve heard its the white... ?????
mine was original code # 145810. or 581? from the factory the firewall had "hugger" on it.

again.. w o w ! ..... n i c e !!!

I sprayed a coat of light gray sealer all over it first, and since I used base/clear, I sprayed everthing on the outside of the truck within about 8 hours. When doing a 2 tone like this, I always spray the center color first. (white in this case) The reason that I do the center color first is because in my opinion, it's easier to tape up the center stripe (cover the white) after I've sprayed it and let it dry for a while than it is to spray the orange first, and then mask everything that I want to stay orange. Either way will work, just less masking in my opinion. After spraying both colors, I unmasked it all and cleared everything at one time so I wouldn't have a rough edge at the white to orange tape line. There is a lot to mask either way. If I ever do a whole truck like this in one day I'll be sure to get someone to help with that part. I'll be following your build, although I don't know if I could have torn apart a truck that nice!:lol: Thanks guys.

yote1234 01-26-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 3759099)
I sprayed a coat of light gray sealer all over it first, and since I used base/clear, I sprayed everthing on the outside of the truck within about 8 hours. When doing a 2 tone like this, I always spray the center color first. (white in this case) The reason that I do the center color first is because in my opinion, it's easier to tape up the center stripe (cover the white) after I've sprayed it and let it dry for a while than it is to spray the orange first, and then mask everything that I want to stay orange. Either way will work, just less masking in my opinion. After spraying both colors, I unmasked it all and cleared everything at one time so I wouldn't have a rough edge at the white to orange tape line. There is a lot to mask either way. If I ever do a whole truck like this in one day I'll be sure to get someone to help with that part. I'll be following your build, although I don't know if I could have torn apart a truck that nice!:lol: Thanks guys.

thanx for the complement! i hope mine turns out near as nice as yours!
i really like yours!!! im not sure if im staying with the orig sandelwood dash or go black ??? dave

HuggerCST 01-27-2010 12:01 AM

I thought about black too, because my dash & column looked too much like brown to me, and I didn't care for it. I decided to paint mine to match the seats, visors & headliner since I didn't have much black in there.

yote1234 01-28-2010 12:51 PM

think im going to go with black carpet/dash/ and dash pad.. white with seats/door pannels/belts. i too see a lot of brown in orig dash and pad..
oh and my column is a tilt in black..

HuggerCST 01-28-2010 02:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
That will look good. I don't have a good pic of my carpet, but it is actually "Ford tan".:mm: I got it from Trim parts because they offered carpet that covered the entire floor, all the way to the back wall, and another piece made to cover the back wall with no gas tank in the cab. The "Ford tan" was the closest match to my seats. I wouldn't recommend trim parts carpet though, the fit was not good at all in my opinion.

1956cameo 01-28-2010 09:49 PM

Wynne, It is just amazing how nice that truck is!! PLEASE tell me you are taking it to Pate this spring when I get those blazer parts from you. If not I completely understand keeping that baby close to home. Also I owe a huge THANK YOU for helping me out!

HuggerCST 01-28-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1956cameo (Post 3764803)
Wynne, It is just amazing how nice that truck is!! PLEASE tell me you are taking it to Pate this spring when I get those blazer parts from you. If not I completely understand keeping that baby close to home. Also I owe a huge THANK YOU for helping me out!

No problem! I may even get the hatch to Pearland for you, but I'll let you know if that works out. I'd love to take the truck to Pate, but I'll be hauling parts & pulling a camper, so it will have to stay home this time. Thanks!

1956cameo 01-29-2010 12:20 AM

Well even without the truck it will be fun to get together for a bit. Hopefully no major thunderstorms like last time. If you find yourself down in Pearland area that would be cool. If you have time and the weather is nice we have a really nice cruise nights of Fridays. I take my 72' suburban (at least until the blazer is done).

HuggerCST 01-29-2010 10:23 AM

Yeah my sister has told me all about the cruise nights, I'm gonna have to see that whenever I get down there.

72K20 02-10-2010 02:35 PM

Wynne, what ratio is your rear axle? I have a 3.73 (I think) Posi and I think I want a 3.42 or maybe even lower. Have any of those laying around by chance? I'm going to Pate as it's only 20 minutes from my house. Holler if I can help with anything or if you need something. I'm also contemplating a NV3500 5 speed setup.... your thoughts?

RCbowtie69 12-30-2010 11:33 PM

just have to say sweet!!!! nice truck Keep on truckin'' :metal:

mcbassin 12-31-2010 02:00 AM

Wow, I haven't seen this one in a while. I bet you are still enjoying driving this beast!

HuggerCST 12-31-2010 11:18 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys! Yeah I've really enjoyed driving it to Cruisin the coast in Biloxi, Miss., hitting some local shows, and just cruising around town. My boys have too, especially my 10 year old. Here are a few more of my favorite pictures. It's pretty funny when I find people at shows laying under it trying to find out where to put gas in it.:lol:

HuggerCST 12-31-2010 11:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple more.