The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

gigamanx 08-24-2017 09:54 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8021437)
installed my longer carb studs and the new throttle bracket today. started it up and let it run up to temp. love to hear it run.

Looks like you have the same Edelbrock intake as mine. Do you have some other photos? I'm trying to figure out what all the ports are for :) What carb are you running?

My thread asking the same question: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=745340

vintovka 08-24-2017 10:16 PM

Hung the "swinging bracket" for the left side Power Running boards. Been down for near 3 months with eye surgeries and other stuff. Yea, you read that right, . power running boards under 54 3100 running board. 27" high main boards and 13 inch retractable ones. Been doing lots of other stuff including a "flux capacitor" and a SS and synthetic bed. Will add pics to build thread.

evilokc 08-26-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigamanx (Post 8024425)
Looks like you have the same Edelbrock intake as mine. Do you have some other photos? I'm trying to figure out what all the ports are for :) What carb are you running?

My thread asking the same question: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=745340

sure I will snap some. i have a quickfuel carb on it now. i had an edelbrock 1406 at one point. i looked at your thread real quick and i will try to address each one with my pics. it looks like most of the questions were answered but i can still try and help.

evilokc 08-26-2017 10:19 PM

I finally got out and installed my throttle pedal assembly! took me 3 weeks due to other broken vehicles. it took about 45 minutes to get it in a good spot, drill the holes, climb under and tighten the bolts. once it was in I sat there and made sure it was in a spot that made my foot happy. it did but that's when I noticed it was slightly crooked. I sat there for a few minutes trying to decide if it would bother me or if I would be able to ignore it. I decided right away that it would drive me crazy and feel sloppy. tomorrow I will go back out and move the top hole ever so slightly to get the pedal vertical.

evilokc 08-28-2017 10:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
went back out and got the throttle pedal straight. didn't take to long, maybe 25 minutes. my partner in crime came out again to lend a dainty hand. I need to drill the new hole for the throttle cable to come through and I should be ready to roll. snapped a pic but the pedal looks crooked in the pic because I was lying across the bench seat. so I'm crooked not the pedal. i used a level this time. I need to order the matching brake pad as well. then I started it up and let her growl at me in the garage for a few minutes.

CountofMonteCarlo84 08-29-2017 12:29 PM

A local body shop performed the following tasks, among other things, for me over the past few weeks [I can give out them name in PM if anyone is interested]:

1. Outside Mirrors [I don't know how you guys safely drive these without mirrors. Even with them its a little tough].
2. Tailgate chains/making the tailgate functional
3. Front fender rolling
4. Rear Bumper [this was a custom job as the truck already has a roll pan, but I wanted a bumper also. So now it has a roll pan and a bumper]
5. Hooks hidden in the bed [these are inserted inside the bed into the stake pocket sections and pop out with a button]. I will have to get some photos for you.
6. Custom cut rubber bed mat
7. Alignment and work on the door mechanisms and windows. Couldn't quite get this as good as I wanted so I just ordered the Altman latches.
8. Repainted the hood because it had some rock chips and fine scratches I wasn't happy with.

I think it all came out pretty good. See photos below [the photo of the rear bumper taken from straight back is with the bumper wet from rain so it looks a little weird].

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4402/...61d599a3_k.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4408/...2eb51c0c_k.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4393/...75894e69_k.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4403/...34d2dd8d_k.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4397/...ce5cb03d_k.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4435/...aa0fa737_k.jpg

Russell Ashley 08-29-2017 04:58 PM

That looks great. I might have to consider a roll pan like you have as my truck now has an aluminum gas tank in the rear and it shows between the bumper and bed.

Russell Ashley 08-29-2017 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was down at my son's shop last week. While there I put all of the chrome parts back on but didn't get an after pic. He has just a few more things to do and it will be done. He has gaped the doors so that they fit good and the gaps are even, and now I think I will have to do something about the hood hinges as I now notice that the hood doesn't close tight. It didn't bother me before when the truck had patina, LOL. I should have it back home by the end of next month. He has another TF in the shop that he is painting and doing some other stuff to. It has an SBC engine with a blower. I didn't meet the owner so I'm not sure if he is a forum member or not.

Black_Sheep 08-29-2017 08:18 PM

Lookin good Russell...

mud.man.rj 08-29-2017 09:44 PM

Your truck sits just perfect Russell.
Mudman.

Russell Ashley 08-30-2017 09:04 AM

Thanks guys. My son has another TF in his shop to paint. It has an after market front suspension but sits too high in the rear. The owner saw my truck and wants his to sit like mine so my son is installing a TCI lowering kit like mine has for him.

CountofMonteCarlo84 08-30-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 8027806)
That looks great. I might have to consider a roll pan like you have as my truck now has an aluminum gas tank in the rear and it shows between the bumper and bed.

That is one of the reasons I did it...

ChuckDriver 08-30-2017 08:19 PM

Looks great Russell!!

:uhmk:

idbeast 09-03-2017 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Electric window crank switches, with dual window operation with button and one touch up and down control... now to rewire with the proper length wires to locate it all under the dash and wire wrap it all neatly... :banghead:

vintovka 09-03-2017 08:05 PM

Nice. Power stuff is nice. I like folks who have never seen a crank-up window jiggle the handle on my non-power ones thinking thats how they work.

idbeast 09-03-2017 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintovka (Post 8031272)
Nice. Power stuff is nice. I like folks who have never seen a crank-up window jiggle the handle on my non-power ones thinking thats how they work.

ROFLMAO I have crank-up windows on my 55 GMC 2nd and yes it is funny to watch!

vintovka 09-03-2017 08:39 PM

I think its my just installed power actuated sub running boards. You open the door and the lights come on as the boards crank down. Assumption is everything is power. The boards work great and make two 13" steps up into the cab. I added grab rails on each side so as not to tempted to grab wheel getting in. Ruined last column.

evilokc 09-03-2017 10:12 PM

did a little mock up tonight. drilled the new hole and ran the throttle cable. its going to work fine. I do need to get a new end to attach it to the throttle pedal. I'm online searching for one now. would be nice to just walk into a parts store and ask for one but that never works for me. progress is progress.
edit- after looking at replacement ends all night it seems a new throttle cable os a better option than a replacement end. so that's what I'm gonna do.

bowt1ed 09-06-2017 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Slowly, but surely been drilling holes and mounting/mocking up firewall for engine stuff before blowing apart again for paint - hopefully, this fall. Got column, booster/master, trans stick, throttle cable done. Still gotta drill and mount for fuse block/wiring, emergency brake, and AC.

Cheers, Jim

crossfire84 09-06-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowt1ed (Post 8032821)
Slowly, but surely been drilling holes and mounting/mocking up firewall for engine stuff before blowing apart again for paint - hopefully, this fall. Got column, booster/master, trans stick, throttle cable done. Still gotta drill and mount for fuse block/wiring, emergency brake, and AC.

Cheers, Jim

very nice work, keep at it!

Russell Ashley 09-06-2017 12:18 PM

That's beautiful.

mud.man.rj 09-06-2017 08:09 PM

The serpentine kit is like a jewel, beauty.
Mudman.

evilokc 09-09-2017 11:30 PM

tonight was a total bust. I installed the throttle cable. I really didn't think it would take long and this is all it needs to take a ride. I'm not happy with the routing. the cable has a curve that I think is a little extreme. I'm also concerned that I'm not going to have full throttle operation. tomorrow I will start over. I may have to make a small bracket that will allow me to move the cable location without moving the pedal. I'm really not sure at this point I'm bummed.

Russell Ashley 09-10-2017 06:09 PM

I went through this problem when I tried to use the type of pedal you have and that is why I suggested that you use the type with the cable attached at the bottom. If the engine is mounted in the original location the distance between the firewall and carb is too short to allow the cable bend required for smooth operation.

Black_Sheep 09-10-2017 10:45 PM

The cab is finally all one color again. Check out my build thread for more photos...

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...65&oe=5A1446CF

evilokc 09-11-2017 01:20 PM

I haven't had a lot of time to get out and mess with the throttle cable. however I did notice that I neglected to install the cable adjuster! man its hard working on these when your dumb. I will get back in there and put the adjuster on and see if its close enough I can adjust the slack out of ir or if I need to trim the cable. either way it WILL work.

MARTINSR 09-15-2017 12:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Made a patch panel for the bottom of the cowl tonight. Last night I fit the rain gutter, holy crap I may be back on my 5 minute a day plan! I hope I can keep it up.

Brian

idbeast 09-15-2017 12:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I've been busy playing with spray foam just to see how it might look... It's still a ways from being finished but coming along!!!:ack:

mr48chev, if this isn't what I like, I can always have the original seat recovered and make a different center console for it , then put this stuff in my 55 GMC!!!!:dohh:

evilokc 09-17-2017 10:53 PM

got into the garage today. ive been trying to get the throttle cable on for a couple of days and its just not working. I finally had to admit that the new very cool looking throttle bracket was the problem. it makes me route the throttle cable at extreme angles that probably aren't going to work. I couldn't make them work. I removed the new cool throttle bracket and put the old bracket back on and everything seemed to fall into place. i got the cable installed and its just about done. the only issue ive run into is that the return spring and the transmission cable want to go into the same hole on the carb linkage. I started up the truck and gave it a few revs and its close. I haven't done any fine adjustments on the cable and I will probably adjust the idle a tad. so progress was made, motors roared , and I'm a hop skip and a jump from running this thing down the road again. I'm disappointed that I cant use the new throttle bracket but this is the nature of our hobby. could I make it work? of course I could but the effort and time would far exceed the payday. I'm ready to drive and move onto other parts of the truck

MARTINSR 09-20-2017 12:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the patch panel welded in. My five minutes a day is well under way, now if I can keep it up!

Brian

evilokc 09-20-2017 10:51 PM

nice job martinsr

MARTINSR 09-21-2017 01:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8044535)
nice job martinsr

Thanks!

Tonight all I got done was to clean the place up so my son could move his motor for his Falcon in the garage. But getting out there for anything is included in my 5 minute a day plan. I did check out what had to be next and decided to remove the door tomorrow and weld up the front edge where I ground too much off. :waah:

Brian

gigamanx 09-21-2017 03:11 PM

You know, just a bit of late summer grilling.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4390/...235a071c_z.jpg

robertsjm711 09-21-2017 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Front end drop - planned on 2" ended up with a little more... but I like it that way.

mud.man.rj 09-21-2017 05:50 PM

Drop looks just right.
Mudman.

evilokc 09-21-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsjm711 (Post 8044954)
Front end drop - planned on 2" ended up with a little more... but I like it that way.

looks fantastic. its low and aggressive but not "cant drive over bumps" low. perfect

evilokc 09-21-2017 09:19 PM

I DROVE! I DROVE MY TRUCK today! they are building a new neighborhood across the street. the streets and curbs are done but they haven't started building a single house. I thought that would be a good place to test drive. I got to the end of the block and saw I was almost out of gas. I didn't want to have any issue that might be caused by low fuel so I drove about 1/2 mile to 7/11. i let the truck idle while I gassed up.drove back to the neighborhood. gave it some gas and squealed the tires pretty good. squealed around the first corner then a cul-de-sac. brought it back and parked in the driveway. here is my assessment after the 5 mile-ish drive 1) the idle isn't right. when I start it up in the garage it ides great but the in-gear idle isn't close. it didn't die nor even try but it got low enough that I worried about it. I got out and gave the idle screw a small tap but I believe this carb has duel idle screws. I'm going to research that tonight and get the idle right. 2) from tip in to about 1/2 throttle its a freaking monster. couldn't hardly keep the tires from squealing. however and there is always a "however" after half throttle it didn't want to accelerate any more. it would but it wasn't shifting as I expected. it was then I realized I hadn't hooked up the transmission cable yet. so I will figure that out this weekend as well. right now that's it. being behind the wheel of my truck after a year was almost magic. my guts are still smiling.

gigamanx 09-22-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8045164)
I DROVE! I DROVE MY TRUCK today! my guts are still smiling.

:metal::lol:

That's awesome! I bet you got some looks at the gas station. Thank goodness you didn't blow yourself up with the truck idling. Was it the transmission kick down cable not hooked up?

Only a year to driving pretty impressive

evilokc 09-22-2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigamanx (Post 8045601)
:metal::lol:

That's awesome! I bet you got some looks at the gas station. Thank goodness you didn't blow yourself up with the truck idling. Was it the transmission kick down cable not hooked up?

Only a year to driving pretty impressive

no the kickdown cable isn't hooked up. I'm going to get that on and go through all the new carb tuning before the next test drive. the float level is good. I'm going to check the mixture, and in gear idle. its close and I'm excited. people at the gas station were very interested in the truck. its got a pretty thumpy idle and there were a lot of questions. they like my suicide doors too.

evilokc 09-22-2017 11:56 PM

did some tuning today. its remarkable what a quarter turn on the mixture screws can do aint it. I was able to get the mixture , idle, and fast idle set in the driveway. I have a vacuum gauge that I'm going to use to check my ide before I drive it again but its very close. the quality of the idle today compared to yesterday is crazy. it feels solid now. I may have figured out the kickdown vs return spring issue as well. tomorrow will tell. worst case I will make a small bracket. I'm hoping to get that done early tomorrow so I can get back out and drive it again. ive started referring to the unbuilt neighborhood across the street as " the track". Ive even taken my motorcycle over there to run through it moto style. I'm going to miss that place when they start building houses.