The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Long water pump vs short water pump (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=436448)

kev2809 04-29-2012 04:22 PM

Re: Long water pump vs short water pump

well, i finally got the pulley on, it has to be shoved on with 2 hands, just enough to get the nut threaded, then thread the nut on and presses it back on.

now i think im missing the last bracket i need to use the bracket in the last pic....guess its on to the parts board.

from the pics ive seen with lwp, they are using the brackets i have in the last pic...

Captainfab 04-29-2012 10:59 PM

Yes, you need the power steering pump brackets similar to those shown in your 2nd pic. Those are for a long water pump. There are a couple variations though. Does your water pump have threads in that boss, or is it a smooth bore hole?

kev2809 04-29-2012 11:17 PM

its actually threaded..but i used a 3" all thread bolt and it seemed to have work nice...just need the adjuster bracket...and now another pulley. i spin this one and it seems to wobble just a little ...
Posted via Mobile Device

BigDan3131 04-30-2012 03:58 AM

Just a little info, if you decide to say go with one of the aftermarket serp kits 90% of them need a long water pump. I have a Stewart high flow unit in a short config and do not feel like shelling out another two bills to buy a long one.

kev2809 04-30-2012 05:52 PM

who would have thought this would be this much of a hassle. im now in search for that third little bracket to mount to the manifold and block...

AND, since i sort of beat the pulley on to the pump, i kind of dont trust the pump now...and the pulley is also suspect too since im pretty sure i had the pulley fully seated and it seemed to wobble a little when i spun it. this sucks!

im going to order a 72 c10 steering pump, since its the most similar i have found to mine (mounting holes, return line, keyed press on shaft). that way i can double check this pulley as well...good grief

Gumby 04-30-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev2809 (Post 5345421)
AND, since i sort of beat the pulley on to the pump, i kind of dont trust the pump now...

I beat on one once [can't member the brand] but I was using a puller like your suppose to, but I guess your still not suppose to hit them, had to do it a 2nd time soon after.

kev2809 04-30-2012 06:13 PM

did your pump break or go out?

what i did was set the pulley on straight, put a socket the same size as the pulley end, and slap the socket with a hammer. feels the same as it did before (as in i dont hear anything rattling around inside), and obviously havent ran it yet, but after the comment on the first page, i really dont wannt blow up my steering box. i just ordered a 72 c10 pump from oreilly for 50 bucks...

Gumby 04-30-2012 06:36 PM

the pump shaft had enough slack to crack the casting in the back.

kev2809 04-30-2012 07:23 PM

ah i see, the shaft does in a little and out, but maybe 1/8 of an inch...but didnt crack anything that i seen.