The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Adjustable rear trailing arms how-to (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=321100)

nuke1 12-29-2008 01:40 AM

Adjustable rear trailing arms how-to

5 Attachment(s)
ADJUSTABLE REAR TRAILING ARMS HOW-TO
MODS move if needed

I thought i would give a how-to on this. everyone on here has been very inspirational and helping of others. so here is something from me. I wanted to build adjustable trailing arms for a few reasons. i can alter the wheelbase, alignment is easier, and i added ballistic joints that are teflon lined for uninhibited wheel travel in the rear, there is no compression of a bushing. Well on to the build, if there are questions ask away, i will answer to the best of my knowledge, and please forgive me if i made a mistake.

Anyways, the first thing i did was lay down some white poster board on my bench, i taped it down so it would not move. I then traced out the original trailing arm for the angle and pivot points. once i did this i marked out my tubing i was using (2"x3"x3/16") and found where my new angle will be located.
Attachment 415971
Once i marked out what and where my new trailing arms would be i proceeded to find the existing angle of the old trailing arms. i then used this angle to determine the pie cut i would need to kick up the rear of the arms. Sorry i did not show a pic of the angle finder.
Attachment 415972
What i did now was to take a rachet tie down and squish the two ends together until my desried anlgle was acheived. Once it was acheived i then tack welded in two spots on the top of the cut so it did not move, do not fully weld up yet. and make sure that the arm is still square.
Attachment 415965
i then cut the other arm with the same pie cut. once that is done i used the tie down againg to bring that one together, once it is i used C-clamps to clamp them together to make sure that they were the same angle. once this was done i tack welded the outsides of the arms. Then i removed the clamps and tack welded the inside of the arms, all the while making sure they are straight. once this is done i fully welded them up. at the same time, i made a boxing plate for the end of the arm and welded it in too.
Attachment 415967
Attachment 415988

nuke1 12-29-2008 01:55 AM

Re: Adjustable rear trailing arms how-to

5 Attachment(s)
Well, i had that end of the arms done for now so on to the other end, because i was using flex joints, i got some DOM tubing threaded to accept my joints, the threads are 1 1/4". the sleeves are 5 inches long. on the end of the sleeves i attached some square solid stock in a cross fashin, this was then welded up to the DOM tubing. i made a plate for the other end of the tubing as well, i cut a hole in it with a hole saw and my drill press. i proceeded to insert the section now into the arm. i drilled four holes in the arm that equates to where the solid stock will be. i left the end of the DOM tubing sticking out 3/16" for welding. i also welded the backside of it, but make sure that you get it square.
Attachment 415993
Here it is welded up.
Attachment 415994
Now back to the other end. I now needed some extra strength for where the springs and rearend sit. so i cut 2 pieces 3" by 17" in lenght. i then used C- clamps to hold these in place and bend them as needed. they are centered and fully welded all the way around. now all that is left is to drill the holes for the rear differential and spring. the spring hole i am gonna drill a hole on just the top and insert a bushing with threads in it that will be welded to the arm, for the bolt to attach through the top.
Attachment 415995
One of the finished top with the joint
Attachment 415997
and the final product
Attachment 415996

nuke1 12-29-2008 02:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a few more pics also, and a list of materials i used.

LIST:
Two 53.5 inch lengths of 2" x 3" x 3/16" tubing
2 Ballistic Joints
11 gauge sheetmetal
2 two 5 " lengths of DOM tubing

that is it, u can use whatever joints you want to, but this is what i did. and make sure you USE A SUFFICIENT WELDER TO DO THIS.

Anyways, thank you and enjoy

JAMES

joe231 12-29-2008 02:43 AM

wow man!
very cool write up!
thanks!
how do you figure they compare to the stock ones, weight wise?

nuke1 12-29-2008 03:09 AM

I will weigh them tomorow for you and let yo know.

Frizzle Fry 12-29-2008 03:18 AM

That's sweet man! Great idea!

RunninLo 12-29-2008 03:44 AM

Very cool and a great way to replace rusted out arms. If you could figure a way to step them and adjust the pinion angle back into spec they would be an awesome alternative to drop block plus arms. The posibilites are really there for this idea. Again.. way cool :metal:

joe231 12-29-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuke1 (Post 3052212)
I will weigh them tomorow for you and let yo know.

cool, thanks!

Shane 12-29-2008 12:12 PM

Very very nice write up. Thanks! :metal:

SCOTI 12-29-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunninLo (Post 3052234)
Very cool and a great way to replace rusted out arms. If you could figure a way to step them and adjust the pinion angle back into spec they would be an awesome alternative to drop block plus arms. The posibilites are really there for this idea. Again.. way cool :metal:

I was thinking the same thing.

72hotrodder 12-29-2008 06:56 PM

is there anyway i can bookmard this thread of something

N2TRUX 12-29-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72hotrodder (Post 3053380)
is there anyway i can bookmard this thread of something

You can subscribe to it through the forum, or you can bookmark it through your browser.

protrash64 12-29-2008 11:43 PM

What are you doing for the mounts at the front? I noticed that they were cut from the X-member. Nice work, time to go into production!!!

nuke1 12-30-2008 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3052195)
wow man!
very cool write up!
thanks!
how do you figure they compare to the stock ones, weight wise?

Weight wise, i weighed them tonite and they weighed 4 lbs less than the originals, so a savings of 8lbs, although i do not think that is gonna help me much with what i am doing, but every bit counts.

James

nuke1 12-30-2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3054111)
What are you doing for the mounts at the front? I noticed that they were cut from the X-member. Nice work, time to go into production!!!

The mounts on the front are being made from 3/16th steel plate, check my build up of HAVOC and this will explain more, the frame is no where near original any more, as for production, , there is always a possibility,

nuke1 12-30-2008 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunninLo (Post 3052234)

the stepping of the arms would be easy, as for the pinion angle, well that is a different matter, where the arms are connected to the crossmember, is where my adjustability will be, but things can always change, if you had a set ride height in mind, you can set you pinion angle and weld them to match that, just a little more time, but not bad.

joe231 12-30-2008 10:45 AM

thanks for the info:thumbs:

NPilot1975 01-16-2009 02:03 PM

Great thread! I may have missed it but what was the actual angle that you used for your pie cut? I would love to build a set of these, although I don't think I would worry about the adjustable end.

aggie91 01-16-2009 04:13 PM

Looks good! I have to follow this one..

C20-67_N_MO 01-19-2009 02:27 PM

Iffin I had the equipment and know-how would be making a set for my '67 as well.

How much time & money do you have invested in this? I know the new trailing arms are quite expensive. As far as the adjustable ends where do you find those?

Great write up, thanks for sharing with everyone.

nuke1 01-20-2009 01:27 AM

hey guys, total investment for the control arems with the end links is about 140 dollars as for time about 6 hours, the adjustable ends are from ballistic fabrication and as for the pie cut, i figured out my angle with an angle finder, what you could do is bend a wire the original bend of the arms and now use it for you bend, but you have to use the other side of it, i am not sure that makes sense, i will try to get a pic of what i mean for tomorow night for you , is that ok.

JAMES

joe231 03-04-2009 11:26 AM

Any update on the wire guide?

nuke1 03-04-2009 12:03 PM

i will do it today, sorry for the delay

MickMc 03-04-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuke1 (Post 3052117)
Well, i had that end of the arms done for now so on to the other end, because i was using flex joints, i got some DOM tubing threaded to accept my joints, the threads are 1 1/4". the sleeves are 5 inches long. on the end of the sleeves i attached some square solid stock in a cross fashin, this was then welded up to the DOM tubing. i made a plate for the other end of the tubing as well, i cut a hole in it with a hole saw and my drill press. i proceeded to insert the section now into the arm. i drilled four holes in the arm that equates to where the solid stock will be. i left the end of the DOM tubing sticking out 3/16" for welding. i also welded the backside of it, but make sure that you get it square.
Attachment 415993
]

Do you have any other pictures of the "on the end of the sleeves i attached some square solid stock in a cross fashin,"?
Maybe a couple of pictures will clear it up for me.

Mick

SCOTI 03-04-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickMc (Post 3179386)
Do you have any other pictures of the "on the end of the sleeves i attached some square solid stock in a cross fashin,"?
Maybe a couple of pictures will clear it up for me.

Mick

Looking @ the pics, it seems that he inseted square solid steel into the end of the sq tubing & plug welded it from each side of the tubing to hold it in place.