The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

idbeast 02-13-2017 09:47 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by strider621 (Post 7857977)
idbeast, your engine compartment is looking great. I like the dual fan setup. I used one large puller fan on mine but I think yours will pull more air.

Thanks Keith, I once lost a motor to overheating when a electric fan failed, I just don't want that to happen to my 383 stroker that's pushing 517hp... and I do have the dyno printout on it!!!
Your Interior looks great, Vintage Air?

strider621 02-14-2017 03:02 PM

idbeast, overheating got my wife's DD not long ago so I don't blame you for protecting that stroker... The air is OldAir Products ... a friend of mine is a dealer for them and I think I made a good choice. Their products are top notch and installation instructions were clear and easy to follow. I used the billet bulkhead on my firewall and I like the look of it.

57chevyman 02-21-2017 08:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
polished my grill with Mothers chrome polish and my harbor freight rotary tool.
i should taken a good "before" pic... i took one pic when i had done as much as i could with the drill attachment....

strider621 02-21-2017 10:07 PM

Looks like you did a great job 57chevyman. Getting all in the tight places is a lot of fun.

57chevyman 02-21-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strider621 (Post 7865914)
Looks like you did a great job 57chevyman. Getting all in the tight places is a lot of fun.

oh man, this took me a good two hours. it really needed it!

crossfire84 02-22-2017 07:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finished the rear brake lines and to the front.
Also mounted the radiator. I can almost smell the exhaust.
Still need to do the front brake lines.

idbeast 02-22-2017 08:41 PM

Looking good Crossfire84

Russell Ashley 02-23-2017 01:04 PM

My truck is 250 miles away so I'm working from long distance. I had my truck taken to my friends shop to move the gas tank to the rear in preparation to my son converting it to the BBW. It's exciting just to know that something is getting done even though I am not able to do it myself.

ChuckDriver 02-23-2017 09:53 PM

Looking forward to seeing your progress Russell, hope you're feeling well too!

:uhmk:

Jesse Z 02-24-2017 03:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Cut and installed some carpet in my '50. I've been driving it a couple of years with just foil-backed insulation on the floor. I found some cheap rubber-backed outdoor carpet at Lowe's that doesn't require binding. It's not fancy, but it's lots nicer than the original rubber mat. I cut a paper pattern and transferred it onto the carpet. I still need to cover the front part of the trans hump. I may get around to it in a couple of years...

Russell Ashley 02-24-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 7867809)
Looking forward to seeing your progress Russell, hope you're feeling well too!

Thanks, JJ. I'm looking forward to seeing some progress too. I'm feeling fairly well but my wife won't be able to travel for about a month. We want to go down to Savannah for a visit as soon as she is able. The gas tank will probably be in by then but I have told them not to hurry.

Jesse Z 02-24-2017 11:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It was a snowy day today (where's that global warming they keep promising me?) so I finished the carpet on my trans hump. Now I need to decide how to hold everything in place: spray glue, velcro, sill plates? I'd rather not use glue because it's too hard to remove for any future maintenance. How do the pros do it?

lowdownstar 02-25-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Z (Post 7868858)
It was a snowy day today (where's that global warming they keep promising me?) so I finished the carpet on my trans hump. Now I need to decide how to hold everything in place: spray glue, velcro, sill plates? I'd rather not use glue because it's too hard to remove for any future maintenance. How do the pros do it?

i would have to say that came out great nice work!!!

Russell Ashley 02-25-2017 01:45 PM

Jesse Z, the carpet looks great. You might use glue just in spots, or around the edge to hold the trans cover in place, and sill plates for the carpet at the door openings.

Russell Ashley 02-25-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 7868152)
Thanks, JJ. I'm looking forward to seeing some progress too. I'm feeling fairly well but my wife won't be able to travel for about a month. We want to go down to Savannah for a visit as soon as she is able. The gas tank will probably be in by then but I have told them not to hurry.

Well, things didn't go like I had hoped on the tank move. When I had the rear suspension and axle update done last year I told them to route the new tail pipes so that I could put a spare tire back in the original location, as I wasn't even thinking about moving the gas tank at that time. The shop where my truck is just did the tank move on a 57 last month so I told them to do mine like the other one. My friend called yesterday and said the tank like he used previously wouldn't fit because my pipes are in the way. He has a very busy shop with mostly high dollar jobs but was going to work me in as a favor, so I told him to hold off until I decide how I can do it.

OrrieG 02-25-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 7869274)
Jesse Z, the carpet looks great. You might use glue just in spots, or around the edge to hold the trans cover in place, and sill plates for the carpet at the door openings.

Double stick carpet tape (commercial stuff) works good too. 2" wide around the perimeter and corners.

dsraven 02-25-2017 07:02 PM

you can also tie the pieces together on the back side with the carper seam tape and a laundry iron. that is how household carpet is seamed.

Russell Ashley 02-26-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strider621 (Post 7856470)
Thanks Mike. I tell people I was raised a mechanics son not a mechanic but I do enjoy getting dirty doing something productive. I also have a 67 C10 and this one my wife bought new in 1972. Both of those keep me busy as well. I really don't remember when I got things done before I retired.

Nice example of a car that you don't see too often any more. It reminds me of that Clint Eastwood movie Grand Torino.

Jesse Z 02-27-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowdownstar (Post 7869041)
i would have to say that came out great nice work!!!

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 7869274)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 7869324)
Double stick carpet tape (commercial stuff) works good too. 2" wide around the perimeter and corners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 7869504)
you can also tie the pieces together on the back side with the carpet seam tape and a laundry iron. that is how household carpet is seamed.

Thanks for the ideas!

strider621 02-27-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 7870445)
Nice example of a car that you don't see too often any more. It reminds me of that Clint Eastwood movie Grand Torino.

Thanks Russell. It's been in the family for the past 45 years. Mostly original,(motor,trans,vinyl top,interior). It has been repainted to get ride of door dings and sun damage. Wife parked in work parking lot for the 5 years. It was her daily driver. I finally talked her into parking it in the garage. We only get it out now for a cruise in or Sunday afternoon drive.

OrrieG 03-05-2017 02:45 PM

Wrestling with carb linkage. Turns out the linkage from 62 PU that I used for the 2GC and Holley does not want to work for the Qjet, not enough travel to open the secondaries. Have about 8 hours in trying different rod and bracket configurations. Now going to get a 73-87 truck cable assy and use that. I had two from donor trucks I sold for half what it is looking like I will need to pay to get one 8^((

OrrieG 03-05-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 7870445)

Wife's Dad gave us a 71 Mercury Montego MX, he never said it but was concerned about the reliability of my cars. Was ok but had the 351 Windsor engine, at about 60K miles the rockers started failing, mechanic said it was a common trait. Fixed it and returned it to dad, my that time he had figured out that I kept them running just fine.

idbeast 03-05-2017 04:05 PM

Finally got the drivers side lined up looking pretty good, even got the aftermarket bed step reshaped to 90 degrees and installed! The old girls second trip outside!
https://s20.postimg.org/jl2xrqvwt/IM...632818_HDR.jpghttps://s20.postimg.org/wgaxeib65/IM...704933_HDR.jpg

ChuckDriver 03-05-2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 7877119)
Wrestling with carb linkage. Turns out the linkage from 62 PU that I used for the 2GC and Holley does not want to work for the Qjet, not enough travel to open the secondaries. Have about 8 hours in trying different rod and bracket configurations. Now going to get a 73-87 truck cable assy and use that. I had two from donor trucks I sold for half what it is looking like I will need to pay to get one 8^((

Do the Qjet secondaries open mechanically with the linkage? I always thought they were vacuum operated not mechanical.

OrrieG 03-05-2017 08:37 PM

The one I have the bottom butterflys are mechanical, uppers are vacuum. I think the bottom control the air flow, top open the secondary fuel jets. The bottom shaft will not rotate until the choke plate is fully open so you cannot go to WOT when the engine is cold.

Anyway, went back out a figured out I was attacking the problem backwards. I was starting with the closed position and trying to get full open before the pedal inside bottomed out. Reversed the process, started with WOT and pedal on the floor, then worked length and angle of bend in the rod to get it to work. I did have to lengthen the lever arm on the firewall side of the pedal mechanism too.

svr 03-05-2017 09:48 PM

C4 home made cross member all tacked in, upper and lower control arms installed, a piece of square tubing for struts for now. Made a front motor mount for my 235, mine doesn't have side mounts, I have front corner mounts. Set the motor in the frame with the new cross member and motor mount, found out rack is not going to have room to clear the oil pan, not just the lines but the main body of the rack won't clear the pan. After a sit a stare at it with a cold brew and having visions of cutting and modifying the pan I decided there might not be room inside, was looking like it might be close. Decided raising the motor an inch or so might make it work if I reclocked the lines, cut out the tacked in motor mount, made some blocks for the back of the motor, raised it up and it looks like it will clear now. Trying to avoid the "fix one problem and create 2 more" deal I have a habit of doing. Gotta get the picture deal figured out, keeps saying My iphone pics are to big.

PDK20 03-18-2017 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I got the cab in primer

idbeast 03-19-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDK20 (Post 7890110)
Well I got the cab in primer

looks good!:burnout:

PDK20 03-19-2017 11:28 AM

Thanks

msaintg 03-20-2017 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
some would say I 'used it for what it was intended', some would say I 'abused it'. most would say I was just plain stupid for using it to haul the way I did. Anyway, I am not proud of it, but it did get the job done. (oh, I should add.... a cop passed me on my way home and didn't even give me a second look)

Russell Ashley 03-20-2017 07:53 PM

Not stupid or abusing it to haul something with it. In fact I love that pic. Usually, if you load it yourself and be a little bit careful you can use a truck without damaging it. I always get thumbs up when I use mine to haul something.

la hi 03-20-2017 07:59 PM

I just decided to go white like msaint, only with a red top. Also a NFL Broncos logo megantic sign on the drivers door and a NFL Vikings megantic sign on the passenger door. My two favorite teams since forever!!
What do you think??

OrrieG 03-20-2017 08:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by msaintg (Post 7891929)
some would say I 'used it for what it was intended', some would say I 'abused it'. most would say I was just plain stupid for using it to haul the way I did. Anyway, I am not proud of it, but it did get the job done. (oh, I should add.... a cop passed me on my way home and didn't even give me a second look)

Not abuse at all, no trailer queens here.

57chevyman 03-28-2017 09:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got the paperwork in the mail to get these vintage 1957 New York plates on my truck! only a $3.75 fee, but a lot of paperwork!

form mv-82
form mv-440v
photocopies of:
my drivers license
current registration
current HISTORICAL insurance card
photo of vintage plates

abig84 04-10-2017 01:41 PM

finally had a weekend where the ground wasnt a swamp so got to dear apart the old truck

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...psnvhvztv9.jpg

was pretty much nothing holding the fenders on in the back as the lower cowl section was missing on both sides

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...pszco5opxc.jpg

im scrapping this cab anyways and have a good one in the garage. so im trying to get the front end off and everything else but the cab so i can get it into the garage and swap cabs so my other truck doesnt have to sit outside. my yard is looking like a junkyard :)

Black93GT 04-11-2017 10:13 AM

I'm sure you could post that cab for sale and quickly have a buyer. i know I'm guilty of it, but I hate having to send any of these original pieces to scrap.

abig84 04-11-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black93GT (Post 7912734)
I'm sure you could post that cab for sale and quickly have a buyer. i know I'm guilty of it, but I hate having to send any of these original pieces to scrap.

is there actually a market for a stripped out old cab? its got the vin plate but no title got holes in the floor, the upper beam above the windshield is gone, holes near the rear corner by the back window, and might even have to cut a piece off the dashboard for the new cab. and who knows what else im going to have to destroy by the time its stripped down

handyhands 04-12-2017 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been busy, end of winter weather was great.Attachment 1641446
found my trans hump.

handyhands 04-12-2017 05:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a few more pictures.Attachment 1641451

Attachment 1641452

handyhands 04-12-2017 05:57 PM