The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Jeep Coil Spring Drop (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=268407)

danzka4u 11-29-2007 10:21 PM

Jeep Coil Spring Drop

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys Im new to yor site and I had been looking through the pages and saw a discution on lowering by using jeep coils in the rear and cutting the coils in the front. So I said what the heck lets do it. Here are a couple of photos of my 65. I cut one full coil plus 3 inches in the front I figured I can allways cut more buts its hard to add.

before and after attached I hope

toomanytoyz 11-29-2007 10:30 PM

Re: Jeep Coil Spring Drop

Congrats & Welcome to The Board from Indiana..........

Truck Looks Real Good, What Coils did you use in the Rear??

Rick

danzka4u 11-30-2007 10:38 AM

I used 98 wrangler springs. Now that I look at the pictures they don’t really do the drop justice it must be the different angle but the lowered the back about 4 inches.

slepysal 11-30-2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danzka4u (Post 2467166)
I used 98 wrangler springs. Now that I look at the pictures they don’t really do the drop justice it must be the different angle but the lowered the back about 4 inches.

Thats funny I felt the same when I snaped a few before after pics of my 60.
The jeep springs are a cheep easy swap, but don expect to haul a huge load.
Nice truck and Welcome from Nor Cal !

mtburg71 11-30-2007 12:09 PM

What did you pay for the rear springs?

toomanytoyz 11-30-2007 12:20 PM

If you look a`t the 1st Pic you can see all the tire from top of Rim up & in the 2nd Pic it is just Top of Rim, Anyhow it Looks Great................

Rick

65 on 24's 11-30-2007 12:21 PM

did it bolt in or did you have to mod them any

danzka4u 11-30-2007 12:42 PM

Thanks for the welcome.
I dont realy put much in the bed. But I do pull a small trailer with my lawn equipment on it. I just have to take it a little easy over the bumps

danzka4u 11-30-2007 12:45 PM

I gave $20 for them but Im sure I could have got set for free if I would have put a little effort into it.

danzka4u 11-30-2007 12:47 PM

they bolt right in but the spring it self is bit thiner so the hold downs may need a little motification.

slepysal 11-30-2007 02:03 PM

I got them for 5.00 +10.00 shiping off of e bay. look around for a 4wd shop that works on jeeps, chances are they will give them to you.
Oh and mine went in with no mods!

04Xrider 11-30-2007 06:09 PM

It looks great. I would like to do this to mine, but I would like a bit more drop in the front. How much did the front drop? Also what do you mean by 1 full coil plus 3 inches? I understand the one full coil, it is the plus 3 inches that is throwing me. Never mind, I figured it out.

danzka4u 11-30-2007 08:15 PM

You know I didn’t measure the drop in the front but I would say about 2 inches. I put the rear coils in first and the truck sat lower in the back. After I cut fronts it now sits with a slight rake. I did have to cut some off the stops in the front.

Stepside65 11-30-2007 08:58 PM

Nice truck. Looks good with the new drop.

04Xrider 11-30-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danzka4u (Post 2467940)
You know I didn’t measure the drop in the front but I would say about 2 inches. I put the rear coils in first and the truck sat lower in the back. After I cut fronts it now sits with a slight rake. I did have to cut some off the stops in the front.

OK thanks, and welcome to the board from Cookson OK.

Super73 11-30-2007 10:48 PM

Are you using Jeep springs in the front? Wrangler, Cherokee, grand Cherokee??

I bought a set of front 6cyl cherokee springs and mine goes to the bumps (front). If I put 100lbs of lift it sits at the ride height I want so I think I'll build a spacer. I'm running a LS1/4L80E combo so I would think my front weight should be lighter than a SBC/TH350 combo.

Shaun

danzka4u 12-01-2007 11:59 AM

Not in the front just the back I cut the ones in the front.

fchava 12-01-2007 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danzka4u (Post 2468655)
Not in the front just the back I cut the ones in the front.

drop springs are so cheap and allow you to carry the same load as stock, why use jeep springs? :hmm:

Super73 12-01-2007 01:03 PM

I'll tell you a few reasons to not use drop springs :)

A long light spring rate is the way to go. It stores more energy for launces. It alows the front to rise rapindly and depending on how the rear is set up (relationship to antisquat) it will help plant the tire harder allowing more seperation in the rear.

Another thing to take in to consideration with a stiff spring is the fact that your tire does not stay with the road as well. A light spring allows your tire to follow bumps better and not throw you out of a corner when a bump is introduced. Vehicles actually handle much better with a lighter spring and stiff sway bar set up. Again allowing the tire to follow the road better. Herb Adams who is a road race / circle track guy talks about this in his book Chassis engineering and Dave Morgan NHRA Chassis vetran also talks about under springing a car.

Also, just because it is a lighter weight spring does not mean you can't carry the same load. If your not itroducing coil bind or smashing down on the bumps, there is no advantage to a stiff spring IMO.

Not to mention a smoother ride.

66trkbldr 12-01-2007 09:38 PM

I Am Using A Set Of Front Springs Out Of A V6 Honda Accord That Are Cut In Half For Rears ,using The Top Half Wich Is The Progressive Side.used The Oe Spring Hold Downs With A Little Mod.truck Launches Hard With A Cad Motor,and Hooks Way Better Than The 5" Lowering Springs That I Had Before!!! Brand New 1/2 Ton In Front Chopped To A Slight Rake, Using A Sway Bar Out Of A 454 C10. Very Nice Ride Now!!!!! Just A Little Insight For Guys Who Are Heavy Hearted Up Front,keep It Light Out Back,{spring Rate}

63 & 64 Bowties 12-02-2007 06:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used 70ish Chevelle springs in the rear of my 63. They're a lot thinner gauge than the stock C10 springs. But they give a nice ride.

sick69 12-02-2007 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super73 (Post 2468182)
Are you using Jeep springs in the front? Wrangler, Cherokee, grand Cherokee??

I know the wrangler springs work but what about the cherokee and grand cherokee springs? Also what years of chevelle springs work and how much drop do they give?

Frank

ChiefRocka 12-02-2007 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danzka4u (Post 2466664)
Hey guys Im new to yor site and I had been looking through the pages and saw a discution on lowering by using jeep coils in the rear and cutting the coils in the front. So I said what the heck lets do it. Here are a couple of photos of my 65. I cut one full coil plus 3 inches in the front I figured I can allways cut more buts its hard to add.

before and after attached I hope

Welcome man...from a little ways up !!!

That's the best looking lawn truck I've seen in a long time !!!!!

The drop looks perfect !!!

Super73 12-02-2007 12:12 PM

I'm speaking for front springs I tried a set of 6cyl late 80's Cherokee springs. The truck bareley rested on the bumps. Next week I am going to put that spring back in with a 1 inch spacer.I'm guessing it will no longer sit on the bumps and have even more stored energy getting the front in the air fast fr drag racing.

I was on a 4x4 board and was told the V8 Grand Cherokee springs have a little more spring rate in them and would probably take the truck off the bumps with out the spacer.

But from my experience a longer softer spring lifts the front faster. So if the spring is too short, just use a spacer. Just make sure you don't get in to coil bind.

greenmtnboy 12-02-2007 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fchava (Post 2468672)
drop springs are so cheap and allow you to carry the same load as stock, why use jeep springs? :hmm:

FREE vs cheap:hmm::rolleyes:
We all know drop springs are relatively cheap, but free is better:).
As a WARNING FYI Here is mine with front springs cut TOO MUCH:o
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/98/...00019vd.th.jpg
I cut 2 full coils, then ended up with rubber spacers under the springs and some 1" bumpstops in place of the stock ones. In hindsite 1.5 coils would probably be ok.It rides like crap and bottoms out, but it was FREEEEE and allowed me to save my $ for '32 ford parts:whine:
I got a set of wrangler springs for the rear for free but have not gotten around to installing them yet.:o