The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   In cab gas tank filler hose (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=608076)

Irishbleueyes 12-14-2013 08:47 PM

In cab gas tank filler hose

How does one change that little filler hose connected to the gas tank? I have a 65 long bed and gas vapor is coming out. Do I pull the gas tank? Easiest way? Thanks in advance

Indian113 12-14-2013 08:49 PM

Re: In cab gas tank filler hose

when I did mine I replace the rubber around the cap area too. I pulled the top part out and used a 1/4 inch long extension to tighten the clamps after replacing hose then rubber and filler tube.

Softpatch 12-14-2013 08:57 PM

ya that job is one of the worst
I repaced the outer fill hose to cab rubber soaking the hose with WD-40 but the clamps are tough to get to...good luck

losthope 12-14-2013 09:05 PM

I pulled the tank clamps are easier to get to, i needed to flush my tank out anyways so did it all at once....another good thing to do with the tank out is pull the bench seat and clean up and paint the floor if thats a issue..

Mike Wessinger 12-14-2013 09:14 PM

I just did this repair on my old truck a few weeks ago. It was difficult enough to do it pulling the tank, so I could not imagine trying it leaving the tank in place. Since the seat had probably never been out before, I used the opportunity to do a good cleaning while the seat and tank were out.

Next time I pull the tank though, I will make sure it is not full when I pull it.;)

luvbowties 12-14-2013 09:26 PM

I've replaced several, & never had to remove the tank. Using new clamps will help on going back on. If it just gets too tough for you, remember you don't need to save the old one----cut it off/out! New one will be more flexible & forgiving. As last resort, loosen tank to where you can shuffle it over, up, down a bit; but it does not need to be removed.
Sam

Ken Cook 04-22-2017 07:15 PM

I know this is an old thread but I did not see anyone post what I ended up doing.

I was in a hurry when I ordered my replacement tank and forgot to order the hose. I ordered the grommet but not the hose or the filler that the cap goes on.

Im glad I forgot. I had to go to NAPA to get the hose and only was available in 1 foot pieces.

I cut the matching replacement and tried to put it all together. It is way too tight for my hands.

So I....Put the grommet in the hole, put the LONG piece of hose on the filler tube and got the clamp TIGHT (way tighter than in that small space), put soap on the grommet and passed the filler through the grommet (way up in there to clear the long hose) and put the cap on.

I then had a helper finesse the tank in place, slide the filled down and tighten er up.
You can see the end of the hose but it is not noticeable.
Both hose clamps are tight and the gas smell is GONE!

earl84 04-24-2017 09:14 AM

Ken Cook, do you have a pic or two of this?

Ken Cook 04-24-2017 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by earl84 (Post 7924184)
Ken Cook, do you have a pic or two of this?

I took the photo but I'm am not sure it worked

The hose is long enough to reach just past the corner of the tank so the clamp is accessible.
Posted via Mobile Device

jdl71 04-26-2017 07:04 PM

I was under the impression this hose has 2 different sized ends. You just bought fuel filler hose from NAPA though?

Ken Cook 05-01-2017 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdl71 (Post 7926646)
I was under the impression this hose has 2 different sized ends. You just bought fuel filler hose from NAPA though?

Yes. I took the old one with me to NAPA and matched it up and bought new clamps.
I'm not sure how long it was before I cut the "short" replacement so I m not sure how long a piece I ended up using.

I may be able to pass a tape measure in there if you need.
Posted via Mobile Device

earl84 05-01-2017 09:14 AM

Thanks for the pic, it helped me fully understand what you were saying.

jdl71 05-01-2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Cook (Post 7930483)
Yes. I took the old one with me to NAPA and matched it up and bought new clamps.
I'm not sure how long it was before I cut the "short" replacement so I m not sure how long a piece I ended up using.

I may be able to pass a tape measure in there if you need.
Posted via Mobile Device

No, that's not necessary. I'll go by the one in town sometime and see what they have. Thanks.

Ken Cook 05-01-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdl71 (Post 7931038)
No, that's not necessary. I'll go by the one in town sometime and see what they have. Thanks.

I brought the filler pipe to match the hose.
Posted via Mobile Device

jdl71 05-01-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Cook (Post 7931176)
I brought the filler pipe to match the hose.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks. The light bulb finally came on...lol

Ken Cook 05-01-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdl71 (Post 7931194)
Thanks. The light bulb finally came on...lol

I put about 1 inch over the filler pipe. Just enough to use the clamp. That left as much of the pipe clear to push through the big grommet. You will need the room to finesse the neck into the hose. Then push the filler down to where you like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

reed62 05-02-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Cook (Post 7931210)
I put about 1 inch over the filler pipe. Just enough to use the clamp. That left as much of the pipe clear to push through the big grommet. You will need the room to finesse the neck into the hose. Then push the filler down to where you like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I used some heavy duty stainless steel clamps from NAPA that are way more stout than the originals or the radiator hose style clamps. I cinched them down to where I thought they would work, added some gas to the tank and then tightened more until the smell went away. it is definitely a horrible design. I used some smaller diameter muffler pipe to use as a "liner" so the gas flows along a metal conduit rather than a mix of rubber and steel. At some point in the future I may resort to moving it under the frame. I did that with my old 50 Ford F-3 and the one drawback was filling the tank through a hole in the new bed wood. I have seen the filler design using a stake pocket which is a lot of fab work, but looks pretty slick when finished.

6T5C10 08-06-2022 11:34 PM

The hose size is 2 1/4 inch ID fuel filler hose from NAPA. It ain't cheap though.