The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   1969 SuperBurb build-up (Bagged and Blown!) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=200387)

68burb 01-12-2007 04:08 AM

Re: 1969 Burb build-up (Bags, 5.3/4L60E, repaint, interior....)

I need to order mine still. I'm gonna get mine through LMC.
and my 406 engine kit from Summit.
my engine crossmember, spring plates and shackles should be here for this weekends work.

Hart_Rod 01-12-2007 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 1976721)
Any word on the taillights....... Just wondering if I was right... probly not but its worth a shot..

OK, I guess I'm going to have to let the cat out of the bag before I get this completed (plus I NEED SOME HELP!!!!!). Gringo got it correct. I'm installing the truck tail lights on the Burb. Where does the help come in you ask, well, I need a left and right bedend that is in good shape with no dents (approximately the last 8 inches - top to bottom). I had 2 decent ones that are good for mock up, but I don't want to weld them in. If you have either or, let me know how much you need for them. Thanks in advance.

Rob

PS Here's a partial mock-up of the passenger side.

gringoloco 01-12-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 1982806)
OK, I guess I'm going to have to let the cat out of the bag before I get this completed (plus I NEED SOME HELP!!!!!). Gringo got it correct. I'm installing the truck tail lights on the Burb. Where does the help come in you ask, well, I need a left and right bedend that is in good shape with no dents (approximately the last 8 inches - top to bottom). I had 2 decent ones that are good for mock up, but I don't want to weld them in. If you have either or, let me know how much you need for them. Thanks in advance.

Rob

Sweet! I looked at my spare bedsides- all trashed in the area you need:(

Frizzle Fry 01-12-2007 10:50 PM

Quote:

Rob

Nice! Been wanting to see that done:metal:

Hart_Rod 01-14-2007 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 1982919)
Sweet! I looked at my spare bedsides- all trashed in the area you need:(

Thanks for looking. I was hoping someone would have a longbed that they were junking that would work. Worse case scenario, I'll whack them off of Donkey :D!

bagged91 01-17-2007 04:20 PM

Rob,
I have a drivers side Goodmark swb bedside over my dad's house that I picked up to fix the wheel arch area on my burb(it was a damaged one). I will look at the taillight area, if it's OK, then you pay for shipping & it's yours... I won't be able to get up there until Saturday... Will let you know by Monday unless you want to call me on Sat night...

L8R - Joe

P.S.

I'm getting "Progress Envy"... I want to work on mine :(

I also have "Donkey Envy" ... I almost bought one of the "conversion" crewcabs right before my ex & I split up... It was very rough though...

Hart_Rod 01-17-2007 11:23 PM

Joe,

If you take pics of the wheel arch areas that you need (or give me some dimensions), I may have your patches.

Rob

LUV2XCLR8 01-17-2007 11:29 PM

Looking good :metal:

Hart_Rod 01-18-2007 12:07 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 (Post 1991602)
Looking good :metal:

Thanks LUV. I've been keeping an eye on Merlot and looks like you are making some good progress on it also.

Well I thought I had fixed all the rust until I media stripped it and found a some more on the 3rd door rocker lip and floor section where the door seal goes. I had planned to just just repair the lip and patch the floor. But the more I thought about it, the more I figured I'd better fix it now or I would be kiicking myself in the butt in a couple of years when the rust finally popped through. So, I ordered a new rocker and cut the old one off. Just my luck, I cut off a perfectly good rocker. :o :rolleyes: It had a little bit of surface rust, but otherwise was in good shape. Guess it's better to be safe than sorry. On a better note, the new rocker fits great and will only require minor adjustments. The old rocker did come in handy, I'm using it for a patch in the curved floor section :metal: .

Hart_Rod 01-18-2007 12:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I removed the inner rocker (it basically unbolted) so I can make the repairs to the floor area. Here is the patch panel I made out of the old rocker, :/. The new rocker fits pretty well and will require only some minor trimming. Should get it blasted and primered so I can weld it back on this weekend.

R

red71cheyenne 01-18-2007 12:20 AM

Great Project and thanks for all the progress pics. Hopefully when we get back from the Gulf, I'll get Blazer done and be able to drive it. Maybe around the same time you finish the Burb! Good to know a former EM is into trucks, I'm an ICCS on an aircraft carrier and have been into these since before the Navy. Keep up the good work and I'll keep watching from out here! Jeff.

Hart_Rod 01-21-2007 09:40 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I doesn't seem like much but I got the rust replaced in the drip rail on the inner rocker. It sure was a lot of welding for the few pin holes that were there (56 inches!!!!) :( . But now I can say it is rust free :) and I don't have to worry about it coming back. :metal: Just a little more trimming on the outer rocker and I should be able to weld it on.

bodydropped68 01-23-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Rob

hey rob whats up when i put truck taillites in my suburban i flatend the edge around the truck taillite opening and put it in the old taillite opening in the burb. what you have in the picture is plenty to work with,any questions pm or call me. ps i'm still first on your list. later paul

Hart_Rod 01-23-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodydropped68 (Post 1999609)
hey rob whats up when i put truck taillites in my suburban i flatend the edge around the truck taillite opening and put it in the old taillite opening in the burb. what you have in the picture is plenty to work with,any questions pm or call me. ps i'm still first on your list. later paul

Paul - do you have any pictures of what it looked like when you were done? The CrewCab should be headed east the first of Feb:metal: .

bodydropped68 01-23-2007 08:49 PM

yeah i'm keeping a close watch on I-10 for it lol, i new you would be asking that let me see what i can do i sold it about 2 years ago but i think i can still get i touch with the new owner. later paul

cojnit 01-24-2007 01:09 PM

definately inspiration

Hart_Rod 02-03-2007 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got the 3rd door rocker welded in. A little bit more work on the driver's side rocker and then on to the tail lights. :metal:

Hart_Rod 02-09-2007 10:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Passenger side rockers are completely welded in. I also fixed the drivers side rocker so that it lines up with the door. All the rust has finally been repaired and now I get to play around with the tail lights. :D

Pop's72 02-09-2007 10:37 PM

Looking good Rob, keep it up! :metal:

Hart_Rod 03-03-2007 10:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Not much progress in the last three weeks...... birthdays (wife's 40th, so I worked hard not to mess that up!), anniversary, and my son just started spring baseball. So, I got a little sidetracked but here's a small update. I got a set of buddy buckets with the CrewCab. Initially, I was just going to sell them, but then I decided they would probably be pretty cool in the suburban.:metal: I've stripped all the foam off of them and did some minor welding repair on one of the frames. Should have them blasted and painted next week and then they'll be ready for the new foam cushions I got from PICKMUP (thanks Frank) and then the new custom seat covers.

Frizzle Fry 03-04-2007 04:37 AM

Those will be cool in there!

swissfacade 03-04-2007 06:13 PM

Hi Rob
I have a question about my 69 burb with a 2 piece drive shaft, I am lowering mine approx 5.5" in the rear. Do I need to modify my carrier bearing mount. our does someone sell them already modified.

Thanks John D

Hart_Rod 03-04-2007 06:26 PM

I'm running bags and a 2" lowering block in the back (with a bolt in C-notch). I had no issue with my driveshafts. Hopefully that won't change when I put the 5.3/4L60E in. :)

swissfacade 03-04-2007 06:44 PM

How low does your your rear go. also did you have to change out or modifiy the trailing arm cross member.

Hart_Rod 03-04-2007 06:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swissfacade (Post 2059084)
How low does your your rear go. also did you have to change out or modifiy the trailing arm cross member.

With the bags aired out, the rear sits on the bump stops (short) and the top of the differential cover just touches the wooden floor.