The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Air bag operation (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=582966)

4oldcars 06-03-2013 09:39 AM

Air bag operation

I've got this Blazer (2wd) that already had air bag suspension installed. I'm old and air bags just ain't me. I took out the front ones. Went back to springs. I'm gonna keep the back ones so I can tow. I currently have the original set up - - 2 air compressors, air tank, etc. I'm wondering if I could/should remove all the above (poor installation and take up a lot of space) and just use a schrader valve to air up the rear bags. Anyone been there, done that?

stevencvn72 06-03-2013 11:43 AM

Re: Air bag operation

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4oldcars (Post 6104932)
I've got this Blazer (2wd) that already had air bag suspension installed. I'm old and air bags just ain't me. I took out the front ones. Went back to springs. I'm gonna keep the back ones so I can tow. I currently have the original set up - - 2 air compressors, air tank, etc. I'm wondering if I could/should remove all the above (poor installation and take up a lot of space) and just use a schrader valve to air up the rear bags. Anyone been there, done that?

Easily, just run the two lines from the rear bags to somewhere around your license plate, install the schrader fittings and you're good to go. No need for compressors, tanks, relays, or anything.

cst69 06-03-2013 10:58 PM

You could possibly "recycle" the 2 pumps and tank.

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

andrewmp6 06-05-2013 02:15 AM

You could do that if it was me i would find a small tank and compressor which is easier to hide.

Clyde65 06-05-2013 08:10 AM

I have the rear bags only also, for towing. I have two schrader valves at the rear license plate.

4oldcars 06-06-2013 09:02 AM

I'm assuming by your comments that 2 valves are better than one. I had in mind to tee the lines to one valve. Not a good idea? Thanx for tha comments.

SCOTI 06-06-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4oldcars (Post 6110265)
I'm assuming by your comments that 2 valves are better than one. I had in mind to tee the lines to one valve. Not a good idea? Thanx for tha comments.

T'd airlines allow shift of air pressure from side to side when there's leaning (in a corner) thus making the issue even worse. 2 valves (or separate airlines w/schraders) isolate each bag independently.

4oldcars 06-07-2013 10:07 AM

Thanx SCOTI. As usual, I wasn't thinkin ahead. Sounds like a plan.