The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   factory locker? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=437756)

1972CST 12-29-2010 12:03 PM

factory locker?

Is the "gov lock" locking diff the 12bolt axle similar to the eaton locking diff in the late 90's z71's (G80)?

LONGHAIR 12-29-2010 06:52 PM

Re: factory locker?

Yup, but I wouldn't bother with the time and expense to install one. They are a known issue in all but the most mild conditions and driving styles....and if you drive like that, you don't need posi-traction anyway.

Just an FYI, they do not "lock" like a traditional "Detroit Locker". A "Gov-Lock" is just a clutch-type posi-traction with a mechanical governor that controls the pressure to the clutches. It is way too complicated, with tiny parts that cause catastrophic failures.

Altec 12-29-2010 07:38 PM

They don't call them grenades for nothing! :lol:

special-K 12-29-2010 08:35 PM

They are good for what they are designed for and used properly. I've never had a problem with one. They are a ball-ramp design that engages with wheel speed. If you pound the peddle hard before it's engaged you can hurt it. If you just get it to spin and wait for it to engage it'll get you out of a spot. It's not a hard core off road traction devise,like anything factory except the good old No-Spin which is a Detroit Locker. I compare it like this...if you put a limb in a chipper,then start it and go to rev it,it'll stall. If you have it running and revving,then put a limb in it turns it to chips. You just have to know how to use the equipment and use it that way. The Gov-loc isn't good for drag racing or rock climbing but is better than an open diff when extra traction is needed. The one in my suburban has kept me from getting out and locking the hubs more times than I can count.

Dieselwrencher 12-29-2010 09:29 PM

Good explanation Tim.

snj8198 12-30-2010 11:50 AM

It's pretty neat when they come apart!...... if you don't care about that housing.:mm:

1972CST 12-30-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 4376381)
They are good for what they are designed for and used properly. I've never had a problem with one. They are a ball-ramp design that engages with wheel speed. If you pound the peddle hard before it's engaged you can hurt it. If you just get it to spin and wait for it to engage it'll get you out of a spot. It's not a hard core off road traction devise,like anything factory except the good old No-Spin which is a Detroit Locker. I compare it like this...if you put a limb in a chipper,then start it and go to rev it,it'll stall. If you have it running and revving,then put a limb in it turns it to chips. You just have to know how to use the equipment and use it that way. The Gov-loc isn't good for drag racing or rock climbing but is better than an open diff when extra traction is needed. The one in my suburban has kept me from getting out and locking the hubs more times than I can count.

Wow, thanks for the insight. Could the no-spin be found in the 12 bolt or in the Dana products?

Redcap 12-30-2010 01:13 PM

They are known locally as the Gov-Bomb for good reason.