The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Who makes new/aftermarket 4x4 frames? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=848538)

Piratenation 11-07-2023 04:44 PM

Who makes new/aftermarket 4x4 frames?

3 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, I’m afraid my ‘72 frame is to far gone in the rear to repair. Other than Roadster Shop or TCI (releasing theirs soon) who makes a aftermarket 4x4 frame? I know there and a few other that make 2wd frames but can’t seem to find any other 4x4 frame builders.

I’m on the east coast in South Carolina and access to good 4x4 frames (that aren’t rusted) is extremely limited.
I attached pics of my rear frame and would like to know everyone’s opinion on if it can be fixed. Thanks!

truckster 11-07-2023 06:39 PM

Re: Who makes new/aftermarket 4x4 frames?

Yikes! :jdp: I don't know the answer, but I hope you find one.

At $40k (Roadster Shop) I'd be tempted to try to build my own.

1970cstblazer 11-07-2023 07:16 PM

None are available new that I'm aware of. I'm in northern central PA. I have a partially rolling solid 1972 Blazer frame with rear diff, springs, driveshafts, and NP205/TH350 available. This is from AZ. The RH front rail has a slight bend, so it will need to be checked for straightness.

hemi43 11-10-2023 05:57 PM

That frame is too far gone. I can't help but wonder what the rest of the truck is like if the frame is that bad.

Piratenation 11-10-2023 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 9258018)
That frame is too far gone. I can't help but wonder what the rest of the truck is like if the frame is that bad.

Body was toast, that's why I have a new Premier Street Rod body waiting to go on this frame if I can save it.

notsolo 11-11-2023 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 2wd 64 Suburban frame, 127" wheel base from California. If you decide to put Street Rod cab on a regular frame. Clean, painted, Doesn't get any nicer than this.

Tmend 11-14-2023 02:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mark over at Motorcityk5 is coming out with a 4x4 frame
Attachment 2315605

Piratenation 11-14-2023 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmend (Post 9258861)
Mark over at Motorcityk5 is coming out with a 4x4 frame
Attachment 2315605

Edit: Mark at Motor City k5 said 20k for frame only, pictures, info and options should be posted this week or next.

Thanks, I have talked to Mark before about fuel lines for my LS swap and other items. I'll reach out to him after I have confirmed with my restoration shop that is media blasting the frame next week.
Hopefully Mark's frame will be a little better price point since it looks like his frame is pretty close to factory setup. Did he give out any info on price point of what all comes with it? Would be nice to have a frame only option for people not wanting to have over 100k invested into their blazer.

Roadster Shop's Legend series frame is 30k starting and is meant for LT1 & LT4 engine and has IFS along with a ton of other expensive items added to it. I know its a incredible setup but anyone using their chassis is pushing 150-200k+ on their build/restoration.

TCI's chassis is gonna be around 32K w/solid front axle, 4-link front and rear, D44 front & D60 rear, disk brakes both axles, 12" of travel, king shocks w/resi and will have use Atlas transfer case. They will do SBC, BBC, LS and LT engine mounts, choice of gearing for axles (can't confirm but they offer that on their 2wd's) and they are willing to do some changes beyond what they have listed as options.

Special Blend Motor Garage's K5 chassis is 60k but all you have to do is put the body on the frame. Its comes with 525hp ls3, 6l80E, fully dressed holley acc drive and vintage coil covers, gm factory height suspension (IFS), disc brakes, hydroboost and master cylinder, full stainless AN brake lines, Full new engine & trans wire harness, New American autowire harness installed and fuel system- fuel cell, pump & regulator (AN or hardline).
They have a ton of additional options to, all the way up to a K20 HD Duramax-Allison powertrain w/ 2500HD chassis (25k).

JJH Jimmy 11-14-2023 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piratenation (Post 9258931)
Edit: Mark at Motor City k5 said 20k for frame only, pictures, info and options should be posted this week or next.

Thanks, I have talked to Mark before about fuel lines for my LS swap and other items. I'll reach out to him after I have confirmed with my restoration shop that is media blasting the frame next week.
Hopefully Mark's frame will be a little better price point since it looks like his frame is pretty close to factory setup. Did he give out any info on price point of what all comes with it? Would be nice to have a frame only option for people not wanting to have over 100k invested into their blazer.

Roadster Shop's Legend series frame is 30k starting and is meant for LT1 & LT4 engine and has IFS along with a ton of other expensive items added to it. I know its a incredible setup but anyone using their chassis is pushing 150-200k+ on their build/restoration.

TCI's chassis is gonna be around 32K w/solid front axle, 4-link front and rear, D44 front & D60 rear, disk brakes both axles, 12" of travel, king shocks w/resi and will have use Atlas transfer case. They will do SBC, BBC, LS and LT engine mounts, choice of gearing for axles (can't confirm but they offer that on their 2wd's) and they are willing to do some changes beyond what they have listed as options.

Special Blend Motor Garage's K5 chassis is 60k but all you have to do is put the body on the frame. Its comes with 525hp ls3, 6l80E, fully dressed holley acc drive and vintage coil covers, gm factory height suspension (IFS), disc brakes, hydroboost and master cylinder, full stainless AN brake lines, Full new engine & trans wire harness, New American autowire harness installed and fuel system- fuel cell, pump & regulator (AN or hardline).
They have a ton of additional options to, all the way up to a K20 HD Duramax-Allison powertrain w/ 2500HD chassis (25k).

For those prices I would be taking a ride out west to find a blazer frame or a truck frame to cut down.

hemi43 11-16-2023 09:14 AM

$20K???
For that price I could get a CNC plasma table and make my own. People are getting greedy.

1970cstblazer 11-17-2023 10:31 PM

$20k for a bare frame. $20k for a bare body shell. No wonder these things are regularly getting over $100k at the big auction houses. At those prices, one could have over $100k just in parts, not including the labor and materials to build it!:waah:

hemi43 11-18-2023 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970cstblazer (Post 9259726)
$20k for a bare frame. $20k for a bare body shell. No wonder these things are regularly getting over $100k at the big auction houses. At those prices, one could have over $100k just in parts, not including the labor and materials to build it!:waah:

And at the end you end up with a fake Blazer just like most Broncos.

Blazerowner 11-19-2023 11:28 PM

20k seems steep but I guess atleast there are options if you have no other choice. I wonder if you could use a tci 2wd frame (or other brand) and get some conversion parts. I have seen a couple of companies sell parts to convert the frame in the past. Just can’t remember who.

hemi43 11-20-2023 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazerowner (Post 9260114)
20k seems steep but I guess atleast there are options if you have no other choice. I wonder if you could use a tci 2wd frame (or other brand) and get some conversion parts. I have seen a couple of companies sell parts to convert the frame in the past. Just can’t remember who.

If one is going to go through that much trouble, might as well fabricate your own. Not sure what it's like in the US, but here in Canada it has become a real hassle to try and get something like this registered and insured LEGALLY.
It's no wonder people just do VIN swaps.

truckster 11-20-2023 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 9260165)
If one is going to go through that much trouble, might as well fabricate your own. Not sure what it's like in the US, but here in Canada it has become a real hassle to try and get something like this registered and insured LEGALLY.
It's no wonder people just do VIN swaps.

I'm pretty sure it varies from state to state. Here in Utah you would just need to register it as a homebuilt vehicle.

1774btcrew 11-21-2023 06:35 PM

I really looked over the frames Mark at motor City K5 had at the show. They're very nicely made and fully boxed so they're much stouter than the originals. Seems like he said it was an additional 2,300 with all the lines

Blazerowner 11-21-2023 10:50 PM

I assume that’s brake and fuel lines? That’s pretty expensive if that’s the case. I re ran all my brake lines a few years ago and it was much cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1774btcrew (Post 9260419)
I really looked over the frames Mark at motor City K5 had at the show. They're very nicely made and fully boxed so they're much stouter than the originals. Seems like he said it was an additional 2,300 with all the lines

1774btcrew 11-22-2023 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazerowner (Post 9260457)
I assume that’s brake and fuel lines? That’s pretty expensive if that’s the case. I re ran all my brake lines a few years ago and it was much cheaper.

I would guess so. It was beautiful work though

Tom Vogel 11-26-2023 09:52 PM

In 1970 You could buy a brand new well equipped Blazer for under $5000.
It's not 1970 anymore.��*♂️