The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear view mirror mounting (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=762742)

semihippie 04-27-2018 06:39 PM

Rear view mirror mounting

I know this isn't rocket science and admittedly, I'm not the handiest of wrenches.

My original mirror was mounted with just three screws but the mirror itself was loose as all hell. I broke the screw trying to retighten it.

So I got an aftermarket LMC one and tightened it, only to have the three screws that are supposed to hold the mount in place not grab into anything.

So I know of no way to get a nut back there or any trick to use short of using some kind of super glue and hoping it holds.

Right now, I've gotten really good at only using my side mirror. :help:

Any ideas?

Redneck Rydes 04-27-2018 06:49 PM

Re: Rear view mirror mounting

Stick a piece of mechanics wire in the hole, then put the screws in,cut of the excesse wire and put the cover back over.

semihippie 04-27-2018 06:52 PM

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm guessing you mean bailing wire or is there actually something called mechanics wire?

Redneck Rydes 04-27-2018 07:01 PM

Bailing wire is the same,just don't go to thick on the wire.

semihippie 04-27-2018 07:02 PM

Ok, will do. Thanks again

'68OrangeSunshine 04-28-2018 12:01 AM

Or you could do like the MY 1972, with a glue-on bracket on the inside windshield. Not a fan of this installation. It wobbled bad. I've reversed the process on one truck already.
But if worse comes to worst, it's an option. I'd try the wire trick first.

darrellyates 04-28-2018 12:07 AM

I used a glue-on-the-glass mirror. It's an aftermarket one.... But styled like a much older mirror. Has the chrome day/night knob and everything.

I welded up the holes in the roof during the restoration. I prefer the mirror on the windshield. You could just buy larger self-tapping screws, and open up the holes on the mirror mount if you really want to keep it looking original...

Just my thoughts.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-28-2018 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck Rydes (Post 8249260)
Bailing wire is the same,just don't go to thick on the wire.

They say WD-40, duct tape and bailing wire;) I've added Velcro to the list as well, comes in handy for light applications.

I've found it's difficult to find new tap screws that fit our old Chevys. I believe that's why on occasion there's some dispute #8 Vs #10. The difference may be various thread counts. If a new screw manages to secure, there's a good chance the hole will be too large for the "correct" one.

franken 04-28-2018 07:58 PM

My 72 is windshield mount so I went to the self serve scrapyard and ripped on off a random GM windshield and glued it on.

truckster 04-28-2018 08:22 PM

Gently tapping the metal around the screw holes until it's flat will usually push the metal back in far enough that a sheet metal screw will hold.

Andy4639 04-29-2018 06:29 AM

Options always options!:chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432526

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...6/DSC01859.JPG

my56chevytruck 04-29-2018 09:32 AM

I tried the "glue" on the windshield, not once, not twice, but 3 times and the mirror kept falling off. Yes, I cleaned the windshield, and yes I used the correct side to glue on, so I opted for the "original" mounting and screwed the mirror on. Works great, and looks great.

bill3rail 04-29-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 8250240)

Is that picture from a James Taylor song?

Damn this traffic jam
How I hate to be late
It hurts my motor to go so slow
Damn this traffic jam
Time I get home my supper'll be cold
Damn this traffic jam

Well I left my job about 5 o'clock
It took fifteen minutes go three blocks
Just in time to stand in line
With a freeway looking like a parking lot

- chorus -

Now I almost had a heart attack