The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

mikebte 07-13-2018 09:15 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

1 Attachment(s)
Found this on a shelf in the garage, sometimes stuff gets lost! Anyway, I stuck it on the engine I don't have running yet and I think it's gonna work with just an extension of the mounting stud.

rollenhard 07-13-2018 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drove Project 2Tone around the block today

GreasyLikeaBurger 07-13-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigamanx (Post 8300270)
Super clean, I like it! Might want to put some painters tape on that intake manifold inlet.

I had old masking tape before covering the water pump holes before I put this kit on. And I usually cut a large trashbag and wrap it over my engine when its just sitting in the garage.

GreasyLikeaBurger 07-13-2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollenhard (Post 8300643)

Man that looks nice. Do you have a build thread going on it?

rollenhard 07-13-2018 10:01 PM

Thanks GreasyLikeaBurger
No i don't have a build thread i flaked out

MARTINSR 07-13-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollenhard (Post 8300643)

That is as close to perfect as you can get.:metal:

Brian

rollenhard 07-13-2018 10:23 PM

Thanks for the Complement

oldman3 07-13-2018 10:58 PM

Rollenhard, nice looking ride...Jim

MiraclePieCo 07-14-2018 03:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Bolted down the running boards and started cleaning and repairing the grille. In addition to dents, the grille had been painted white over the chrome, and a torch had been used on it, burning away some mounting holes. I can never make it pristine, but it'll be fine for a daily driver.

MARTINSR 07-14-2018 10:36 AM

Looking good Miracle!

I did next to nothing, don't even think I made my 5 minutes. Just looking at the frame and what I need to do for the front crossmember. A little mod to the frame before I have it powder coated, then the crossmember will get all the adjustment to fit the frame.

Brian

Black_Sheep 07-14-2018 12:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I dropped the truck off at the painter's this morning. The color will be like the top of the dash, '63 Chev Laurel Green. The roof will be '14 Lexus Bright White Pearl. Turnaround time will be about 3 weeks.

MARTINSR 07-14-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8300991)
I dropped the truck off at the painter's this morning. The color will be like the top of the dash, '63 Chev Laurel Green. The roof will be '14 Lexus Bright White Pearl. Turnaround time will be about 3 weeks.

I am so jealous I want to punch you, no kidding, if you were in this room right now I would punch you in the mouth. :mm:

RIGHT ON!:metal:

Brian

MARTINSR 07-14-2018 02:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am heading off to a birthday party so I got out and beat my butt in the sun grinding, sand blasting, sanding, Roloc discing the drivers door ready for primer on the inside. I of course found another spot that needed to be welded but NOW it's ready for primer. LOL

I rode my bike to the paint store to see if they had a part for my ND900 (they didn't) and I had to get a photo. You see, my shop for 13 years was just a block away from this store. I rode my bike there every day to get supplies for the shop. Rode, this bike, a 1939 Columbia that I built in that shop. I just thought it was cool that after all these years (closed the shop over 20 years ago) here I was doing the same thing.

Brian

mikebte 07-14-2018 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the AC/defroster mocked up and mounted. Lucky for me I don't enjoy a radio in my trucks.

Black_Sheep 07-14-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8301038)
I am so jealous I want to punch you, no kidding, if you were in this room right now I would punch you in the mouth. :mm:

Brian

Thanks!

It's been a long time coming, all that's left is everything...

MARTINSR 07-14-2018 10:56 PM

I just spent another "five minutes" today looking for my hood hinges....grrrrrrrr.

Brian

evilokc 07-14-2018 11:07 PM

I stared at the compressor alignment for about 45 seconds trying to decide how to move it. didn't come up with anything. stayed busy all day. will dedicate some time to the death rattle tomorrow.

MiraclePieCo 07-14-2018 11:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Repaired the torch-damaged mounting holes in my grille, then painted the rearward part of the cross bars black. It was well worth the effort; I love how it makes the bars appear to float in space.

MiraclePieCo 07-15-2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8301038)

Brian

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw rollenhard's truck (the green over black one above). I stinking hate that guy! Of course envy is the ultimate compliment, right?

MARTINSR 07-15-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8301410)
That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw rollenhard's truck (the green over black one above). I stinking hate that guy! Of course envy is the ultimate compliment, right?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:devil:

Brian:mm:

MARTINSR 07-15-2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8301407)
Repaired the torch-damaged mounting holes in my grille, then painted the rearward part of the cross bars black. It was well worth the effort; I love how it makes the bars appear to float in space.

Excellent repair! I like seeing that you did it in a way that I never understood until just recently. I have been doing this stuff forever and would always cut the piece being welded in perfectly, geeez. I finally (don't know why, someone telling me I was a dummy I guess) began doing it like you did there, weld in the piece then trim it to size, geez. I STILL will forget to do this and it's SOOOOOOOOO much easier and better to do it as you did there.

Right on! :metal: Thanks for the reminder.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 07-15-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8301569)
Excellent repair! I like seeing that you did it in a way that I never understood until just recently. I have been doing this stuff forever and would always cut the piece being welded in perfectly, geeez. I finally (don't know why, someone telling me I was a dummy I guess) began doing it like you did there, weld in the piece then trim it to size, geez. I STILL will forget to do this and it's SOOOOOOOOO much easier and better to do it as you did there.

Right on! :metal: Thanks for the reminder.

Brian

Ha ha, I've been telling everyone that I'm a genius, but you're the first person who's believed me!

Leaving it untrimmed also helps prevent the edge burning away when welding.

MARTINSR 07-15-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8301676)
Ha ha, I've been telling everyone that I'm a genius, but you're the first person who's believed me!

Leaving it untrimmed also helps prevent the edge burning away when welding.

ABSOLUTELY! I just can't tell you how fascinated I was the first few times I did it. All these years I would make the piece exactly the same. And another thing, when welding a patch in, all these years I would get it perfectly clamped in, every little edge perfect before I welded it. A guy I was working with (an office estimator) explained how all you have to do is get it tacked in, then plannish it to perfection on each area welded. DUH! OMG I can't believe how this took me miles ahead with my metal work.

Brian

MARTINSR 07-15-2018 02:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Break time, got the back and inside of the doors primed.

Got some more cleaning of the back of the dash and cowl, found that the hinges for the cowl vent are rusted solid, crap. And of course, found another patch I have to weld in.

Can I make this clear, I will NOT say I am done welding on this cab EVER, after it's primed, painted, assembled, I will STILL not say I am done welding on it.

Brian

svr 07-15-2018 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Epoxied inside of front fenders