The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My 52 GMC Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=648459)

lower50's 11-22-2016 08:16 PM

Re: My 52 GMC Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7774262)
Cool!!
You're a celebrity now ;):metal::metal:
Congratz!!

Many more to come for your truck!

Thanks Kees I like how yours turned out too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 7775118)
woooooot way to go idaho, nothing better than printed memories

Thanks joe I never expected them to print it. :)

99 to Life 11-22-2016 11:17 PM

very cool, congrats. much deserved. funny I know the feeling of that first mag (though not for trucks) My first every skating photo came out in jan 06' two page spread, it was years of hard work paying off. years later and countless major publications, I could prolly say I'd still get excited to have a publication of my new passion (trucks). but man oh man all the media, industry hype etc with the skate industry, has taught me alot. You're are great candidate for the publication, you didn't build this to grace mag pages, you're humble and appreciative and the world needs more builders like you!.

lower50's 11-23-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7775512)
very cool, congrats. much deserved. funny I know the feeling of that first mag (though not for trucks) My first every skating photo came out in jan 06' two page spread, it was years of hard work paying off. years later and countless major publications, I could prolly say I'd still get excited to have a publication of my new passion (trucks). but man oh man all the media, industry hype etc with the skate industry, has taught me alot. You're are great candidate for the publication, you didn't build this to grace mag pages, you're humble and appreciative and the world needs more builders like you!.

Wow Henry I'm at a loss for words Thank you.

lower50's 11-25-2016 04:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I finally am getting to build my new welding cart. It will hold my mig and gas also get my tig off the floor and gas for it.
Got the steel cut 1.5" 3/16" angle.
Also found a pic from our NC trip at 5820ft.
Attachment 1593594

Attachment 1593595

rusty76 11-25-2016 06:07 PM

I really enjoy seeing pics of your truck traveling.

jkeating1 11-27-2016 10:45 PM

Hey 50's--I've been looking for a discussion of the differences in the front sheetmetal on the 1 ton-and-down versus the 1.5 ton-and-up. Have you run across a thread that gets into it?

I know the fenders and hood are different, but in what ways? Other questions I have, if you or anyone else wants to weigh in, are:

I know the grille bars are spaced wider up-and-down, but is the grille width the same?

It appears the fenders drop lower below the cowl, but is that and the size of the wheel opening the only difference? Are the inner fenders longer?

Is the "web" of frame itself taller--from top to bottom of the frame rail? I mean, are normal aftermarket front IFS crossmembers out of the question for 6400 front rails?

When you use the big-truck front sheetmetal, and space the rear axle to center the fenders of a 3100 bed (with a back-half, or complete frame swap) does the wheelbase still end up 116-117"?

I like what you've done with your truck! I have a decent 2-ton available and am thinking seriously about jumping in.

John

lower50's 11-28-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7777833)
I really enjoy seeing pics of your truck traveling.

Thanks rusty
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeating1 (Post 7780712)
Hey 50's--I've been looking for a discussion of the differences in the front sheetmetal on the 1 ton-and-down versus the 1.5 ton-and-up. Have you run across a thread that gets into it?

I know the fenders and hood are different, but in what ways? Other questions I have, if you or anyone else wants to weigh in, are:

I know the grille bars are spaced wider up-and-down, but is the grille width the same?

It appears the fenders drop lower below the cowl, but is that and the size of the wheel opening the only difference? Are the inner fenders longer?

Is the "web" of frame itself taller--from top to bottom of the frame rail? I mean, are normal aftermarket front IFS crossmembers out of the question for 6400 front rails?

When you use the big-truck front sheetmetal, and space the rear axle to center the fenders of a 3100 bed (with a back-half, or complete frame swap) does the wheelbase still end up 116-117"?

I like what you've done with your truck! I have a decent 2-ton available and am thinking seriously about jumping in.

John

No I have not found a discussion about this I would like to know the details too.
Here is what I have found out. When I was at 99's place he brought out a normal chev fender. They where very close to same length, mine was about 2" wider from cab forward. Also my fenders are taller even tho I cut mine down by 3" also the wheel opening is for a 20" truck wheel.
As for wheel base mine is 120" with a 80" long box the s-10 rear suspension would have worked. The frame web was about 10" and about 1/4" thick steel. I will start a thread on this I have been wondering this as well.
I would build it, if I were you.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post7780963

jkeating1 11-28-2016 02:26 PM

So it could handle about 4" more track width, I guess? That opens up more frame options.

kehstr 12-01-2016 05:25 PM

cool truck subscribed to keep watching!!

47 Fasttoys 12-01-2016 07:12 PM

Hey Lower, thanks for posting the details of your trip, looks like a good time. As it turns out you where in my neck of the woods, I'm in the NE part of SC. Charlotte: 3 hours, done the tail a few times, all good stuff. What would be cool is if we put together a big AD get together next year at some major park. I hope to have my camper done by April so that would be cool. Congrats on the magazine, that's a big deal!
Rob

lower50's 12-02-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeating1 (Post 7781215)
So it could handle about 4" more track width, I guess? That opens up more frame options.

Yes maybe more full size front suspension.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kehstr (Post 7784023)
cool truck subscribed to keep watching!!

Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys (Post 7784110)
Hey Lower, thanks for posting the details of your trip, looks like a good time. As it turns out you where in my neck of the woods, I'm in the NE part of SC. Charlotte: 3 hours, done the tail a few times, all good stuff. What would be cool is if we put together a big AD get together next year at some major park. I hope to have my camper done by April so that would be cool. Congrats on the magazine, that's a big deal!
Rob

NP Rob. We are planning on going back to the Good guys show next year maybe we could get a bunch of us to all meet up that weekend somewhere? Or roll into the show together. Thanks the mag was just over the top!!

lower50's 12-06-2016 02:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well I got my new welding cart made and my tig welder is finally off the floor after 2 years. The foot print of the new cart is the same as my old one that only held my mig and one tank. I moved the main wheels forward to get better maneuverability in my small shop. The mig is hard wired into the plug that the tig gets plugged into, then I have a 25' cord that I plug in.
Attachment 1597143

Attachment 1597144

Attachment 1597145

Attachment 1597146

Nut Case 12-06-2016 03:00 AM

Lowered

Great tk, great magazine score!

Your welding cart is cool, just one questions do you use the same shielding gas for tig and mig?Two tanks?

Keep on keepin on

NC

99 to Life 12-06-2016 10:55 PM

looks great, I know that feeling. life and truck keeps you so busy the easiest things get pushed back. I went all these years without a bench grinder. Finally bought 3 of them, hooked one up and still don't have it mounted, so it moves all around!!!!! ahhhh the dumb lazy things I do vs all the hard labor and time crunching things I do. nice ground clamp too!!!

Advanced Design 12-06-2016 11:31 PM

Nice welding cart! Sometimes it takes time to get to all those other projects. I could use some minions around here myself.

lower50's 12-07-2016 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nut Case (Post 7788238)
Lowered

Great tk, great magazine score!

Your welding cart is cool, just one questions do you use the same shielding gas for tig and mig?Two tanks?

Keep on keepin on

NC

Thanks the magazine is killer. No I use a CO2/Argon mix for mig much less spatter than straight CO2 and strait Argon for tig, also my mig is pressure regulated and tig is flow controlled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7789059)
looks great, I know that feeling. life and truck keeps you so busy the easiest things get pushed back. I went all these years without a bench grinder. Finally bought 3 of them, hooked one up and still don't have it mounted, so it moves all around!!!!! ahhhh the dumb lazy things I do vs all the hard labor and time crunching things I do. nice ground clamp too!!!

Thanks Henry but come on a few wood screws into a wood bench will hold the grinder for now lol. Ya that ground clamp is an upgrade for my mig, the old one didn't like 175A
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7789106)
Nice welding cart! Sometimes it takes time to get to all those other projects. I could use some minions around here myself.

Thanks Doug Ya a whole bunch of minions.

lower50's 12-14-2016 10:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok so my plywood bed was always temporary. Now I am trying to figure out what will go with the truck. I crudely used paint and made some options. What do you guys think?
1 would be same aluminum as running boards with black steel strips. I kind of like #5
Attachment 1600096
Attachment 1600097
Attachment 1600098
Attachment 1600099
Attachment 1600100

strider621 12-14-2016 10:39 PM

Hey Bob...
I really like #5..... Something about that wood grain and color that blends well with your truck.

Advanced Design 12-14-2016 10:55 PM

I vote number five, yet less shiny...like your truck.

CHIZZLER 12-14-2016 11:28 PM

Looking good. #5

joedoh 12-14-2016 11:48 PM

if I had to pick it would be #4, it doesnt look like a bowling lane or "newtique" furniture like the others. keep in mind the shinier it is the harder it will be to take care of, even polyurethane has a hard time taking 12 hours of hot sun and weather changes and torrential rain. but dont listen to me, get what you like!

I saw a bed floor made from aluminum bleachers once, THAT would be perfectly in line with your truck, in my dim opinion.

http://s18.postimg.org/9pie4xik9/IMG...082243_443.jpg

I have made new bed floors for two trucks and stained them pretty, one cedar tint and one redwood tint, and neither of those got the attention and compliments that my reclaimed flatbed weathered cedar on the 49 gets. people love it! the crustiness, the silvering, the rusty strips. Maybe it just fits the look better.

kehstr 12-15-2016 12:10 AM

To me number 3 compliments the truck the best

nail pounder 12-15-2016 01:49 AM

I like the knotty #5, but I've seen one (maybe 60-66 forum) that they burned the wood with a torch and then cleared it. It looked sweet. Might be a good rustic look in your truck.

99 to Life 12-15-2016 11:33 AM

I like #3 with a tad darker tint. I like that bleacher bed idea, I think it would really only work with certain color trucks and def more 60-66 trucks rather than and AD.

RockinKees 12-15-2016 01:26 PM

I would go with number 5, only a bit more grey-ish so that it looks older.
Suits the truck better when it has an older look to it.

I think......