The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   pinion angle @ ride height (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=577834)

Sick5 04-28-2013 04:41 PM

pinion angle @ ride height

I get a vibration after 50.
I have dropmember installed and my angles are
Starting from the tranny
Tranny 4
Shaft. 3
Bearing. 0
Shaft. 6
Differential. 0
This was at ride height 5in

I have a 2 inch block under the bearing. Any info would be gratefully
Posted via Mobile Device

Robznob11 04-28-2013 06:39 PM

Re: pinion angle @ ride hight

Im assuming that your tranny is down 4* and your pinion is at zero! if this is correct then it sound like you need a 2* shim under your rearend! to be equal and opposite tranny would be down 4* and pinion up 4* but it is recommended that your pinion be 2* down so the pinion can climb under tq so a 2* shim would put it 2* up. witch is 2 down from tranny. hope that makes sense!:metal:

Sick5 04-28-2013 06:50 PM

Thanks
Tranny down 4
First shaft. Down 3
Center bearing 0
Second shaft up 6
Differential. 0
Posted via Mobile Device

Sick5 04-28-2013 07:06 PM

Wouldn't that bring my shaft at 8 well the rear shafy
Posted via Mobile Device

Robznob11 04-28-2013 09:03 PM

I just relized that you had a two piece drive shaft so my suggestion is probably not correct. I do know that you want to keep the u joints with in a 2* operating range and that its best to have the angles at each end equal and opposite. I would think that you would need to take an measurement of the face of the carrier bearing to see if it is tilted and then adjust according to that so if the tranny is down 4 the front side of the bearing should be tilted up 2 meaning the back would be down two and the pinion should be 0 but maybe someone else will chime in. my self I think I would convert over to a one piece shaft and eliminate balance issues and bearing issues. also if im not mistaken I think that if the u joints are replace in either shaft they have to be clocked correct for the driveline to run the way it was balanced. maybe someone with more 2 piece knowledge will chime in. sorry for the confusion. the actual angle of the shafts is not as important as the angles on either end!

Robznob11 04-28-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robznob11 (Post 6040080)
I just relized that you had a two piece drive shaft so my suggestion is probably not correct. I do know that you want to keep the u joints with in a 2* operating range and that its best to have the angles at each end equal and opposite. I would think that you would need to take an measurement of the face of the carrier bearing to see if it is tilted and then adjust according to that so if the tranny is down 4 the front side of the bearing should be tilted up 2 meaning the back would be down two and the pinion should be 0 but maybe someone else will chime in. my self I think I would convert over to a one piece shaft and eliminate balance issues and bearing issues. also if im not mistaken I think that if the u joints are replace in either shaft they have to be clocked correct for the driveline to run the way it was balanced. maybe someone with more 2 piece knowledge will chime in. sorry for the confusion. the actual angle of the shafts is not as important as the angles on either end!

looking at your last post if the tranny is down 4 and shaft is only 3 that would indicate its running up hill, I would shim up the tranny first to see it that clears it up. it should only be 2-3 down anyhow

Daaaanz67 04-28-2013 11:23 PM

Do a search for 2 piece drive shaft angle help think I read something on there before.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sick5 04-29-2013 09:59 AM

Thanks Dan
I was thinking of giving dave from PB call
Posted via Mobile Device

Hart_Rod 04-30-2013 09:22 PM

Re: pinion angle @ ride height

Can u post pics of your setup?
Posted via Mobile Device

ItsRandy 04-30-2013 09:33 PM

Look here: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-DSSP.pdf , you can print it for your future use. Great information.

Sick5 04-30-2013 10:44 PM

Check out my thread
Posted via Mobile Device

Sick5 05-01-2013 01:49 PM

Nate need your help......

69gmcc10 05-01-2013 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drives train angles should have a 1* to 2* relationship with the adjoining drive train part to prevent excess wear in the universal joint. As you accelerate a leaf spring vehicles pinion can move as much as 2 deg, a trailing arm vehicle will move .5 deg. Your first drive shaft and the pinion should be on the same plane meaning that you need a pinion angle of 4 degrees. This will also keep all of your angles within 2 deg of each other. There is adjustment on your PB drop member where the trailing arms bolt and if you still have them mounted in the bottom hoes like in you build thread they need to come all of the way up to the top mounting holes in hopes that this will get you the 4 deg pinion angle you are looking for.

Good luck

Sick5 05-01-2013 03:41 PM

Let make sure I have it right. The tranny and the first shaft are cool. I need to move the differential and the the second shaft. And moving the trailing arms up would move my second shaft to 4. But wont my differential move out of 0
Posted via Mobile Device

69gmcc10 05-01-2013 03:53 PM

OOPS! I mean 3 deg on the pinion angle, sorry. Engine/trans and first drive shaft seem fine to me. From what I can tell all you need to do is adjust the pinion angle to 3 deg by raising the mounting pint on the cross member and the second drive shaft will be fine.

Sick5 05-01-2013 04:05 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

But will there be a problem with the differential change of pinion angle
Posted via Mobile Device

Robznob11 05-01-2013 04:21 PM

Well im no 2 piece expert but i would think the two lines would be set seperate from each other usually the front shaft is near level and the rear drops meaning they have way different angles. On the rear if the pinion is zero and bearing is zero and the shaft is at an angle they are equal and opposite therefore happy! I think the problem is in the front my self! Also leafs can wrap up to 7* depending on power and trailing arms and ladders etc usually less than 2 but it is the common practice to set the pinion down 2* for wrap up on race cars they go alot more. My guess it that if the tranny is 4 d and shaft is 3 and bearing is 0 then a shim under the tranny would bring the problem to a min. But thats just my .02
Posted via Mobile Device

69gmcc10 05-01-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsRandy (Post 6044493)
Look here: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-DSSP.pdf , you can print it for your future use. Great information.

Read page 14 in this thing.

Reyals Bemus 05-01-2013 09:53 PM

For your consideration, the pinion doesn't really "climb" under torque in these trucks because of the trailing arm suspension design. Unlike leaf sprung rear ends, the axles in our '60-72 C10s are positively mounted to the trailing arms. They cannot twist or wrap up like leaf sprung axles. The only pinion angle changes that occur is under normal suspension travel, but due to the inherently long trailing arms, the angle change is, again, minimal.

All said, I like to set mine up close to 0 or 1 degrees (no more than that) in these trucks. Smooth as buttah!

Robznob11 05-01-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reyals Bemus (Post 6046488)
For your consideration, the pinion doesn't really "climb" under torque in these trucks because of the trailing arm suspension design. Unlike leaf sprung rear ends, the axles in our '60-72 C10s are positively mounted to the trailing arms. They cannot twist or wrap up like leaf sprung axles. The only pinion angle changes that occur is under normal suspension travel, but due to the inherently long trailing arms, the angle change is, again, minimal.

All said, I like to set mine up close to 0 or 1 degrees (no more than that) in these trucks. Smooth as buttah!

well I hate to differ but, one would think because the axle is positively mounted it would not move much. but you have to take into consideration that all iron flexes at some point and the frame will move and twist as well as the suspension. that is why when you see cars pull the wheels coming off the line one tire is higher in the air than the other unless it is a boxed full race chassie. we are talking about a stock c channel frame here with add ons and believe me when I say it will move a lot more than you would like to give it credit for if those tires bite. it is not good to not have to not any angle in the drive line, u joints are made to run at an angle but with in a range. im out on this one but you all should really look over a lot of web pages because pinion angles have been debated for years!

PBFAB.COM 05-02-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick5 (Post 6045598)
Nate need your help......

Call us at the shop tomorrow. Dave should be able to help you out, but you can leave a message for me to call you back if you would like. :)

Nate
Posted via Mobile Device

Sick5 05-02-2013 07:35 AM

Dont matter just need it fix. Ive emailed and left a msg tuesday I believe. Ill call back today around 1030
Posted via Mobile Device

wraprail 05-03-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robznob11 (Post 6046759)
well I hate to differ but, one would think because the axle is positively mounted it would not move much. but you have to take into consideration that all iron flexes at some point and the frame will move and twist as well as the suspension. that is why when you see cars pull the wheels coming off the line one tire is higher in the air than the other unless it is a boxed full race chassie. we are talking about a stock c channel frame here with add ons and believe me when I say it will move a lot more than you would like to give it credit for if those tires bite. it is not good to not have to not any angle in the drive line, u joints are made to run at an angle but with in a range. im out on this one but you all should really look over a lot of web pages because pinion angles have been debated for years!

You can differ all you want but if you get axle wrap on a truck arm rear (like you would on leaf springs) then you have some serious problems with your frame or iron or whatever.
Check here, page 13 for setting up 2 piece driveshaft. No debate. Just follow the light...http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-DSSP.pdf
The truth will set you free..

Robznob11 05-03-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraprail (Post 6049467)
You can differ all you want but if you get axle wrap on a truck arm rear (like you would on leaf springs) then you have some serious problems with your frame or iron or whatever.
Check here, page 13 for setting up 2 piece driveshaft. No debate. Just follow the light...http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-DSSP.pdf
The truth will set you free..

Im not saying that it will rapp like a leaf at all. What im saying every thing weather its a truck arm, skid motor or anthing else with an engine will move and flex under tq. Witch is why the common practice is to set the pinion 2* as compared to the front angle wether its the tranny or bearing! Would you set your ride hight clearances without taking into consideration the truck in movement? Only if its to look at and not drive or else you wold have rubbing! So why would you not dial i a couple * for the pinion for movement? There is no down side to doing this! However if everything is set to zero and the tq causes the shaft to line up the u joints will bind if it goes further it will create a -angle and deflection starts to happen thus vibrations and loss of power through drive line! I mean really do you know how little something has to move to create a .5 or even 2* differance? Like i said im not an expert and don't claim to be! Neither are most of the people commenting on here. Sick needs to use common sense and the info on the web to draw his own conclusion. One other note i have said it befor and will say it again using the front of the bars is not the best way to adjust pinion angle because that also changes your ic. Its up to you do you just want to fix the vibration or do you want it to preform well too?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sick5 05-03-2013 11:23 AM

I moved the center bearing around half and inch. Vibration is still there but not as bad.
Posted via Mobile Device