The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   high beam switch in turn signal lever? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=664471)

bonsai 03-22-2015 10:02 PM

high beam switch in turn signal lever?

HI, I just recently purchased an 83 swb custom, got it for quite the deal actually. It's a bit of a fixer upper but seems to be complete. I'm in the process of getting it ready to pass inspection to go register it with this new deal in Texas it has to be inspected before registration. Anyway, I've got it mostly complete got head light and tail lights working. But it seems the high beams are an issue. The sealed beams themselves seem to be at least in working condition and the wiring seems to be complete. But when I pull back on the lever to activate the high beams it does nothing no click or anything just returns forward.

It seems 83 was when they did away with the foot switch and it was incorporated into the turn signal lever. My question is where in there is the high beam switch? I've seen there is the turn signal cam an all that and the only other thing I can find is this: http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.orei...2100&ppt=C0039

Would that have anything to do with the high beam mechanism or switch? I've been looking and can't seem to find any info on all this.

Thank you for any help in advance!

69heavychevy 03-22-2015 10:05 PM

Re: high beam switch in turn signal lever?

83 should still have the dimmer switch on the floor. 83 was the last year for dash mounted headlight switch.

bonsai 03-22-2015 10:11 PM

OK I didn't want to say that since I wasn't too sure since I was seeing that switch come up for this year. Well seems I need to figure out where that switch and wiring went.. I looked at the floor board there is not mounting holes or any indication in the carpet that there use to be one. Is there any suggestions what I should be looking for down tthere maybe? Also there is no possibility that they could have attempted to "update" it to do away with it?

Thanks again!

piecesparts 03-22-2015 10:42 PM

If you have a switch on the column, then the actual switch is mounted down low on the column and there is a sliding rod to actuate the switch, when you move the turn signal arm the switch is depressed.

To get to it, remove the plastic instrument cover under the steering column, take the two nuts loose from the dash and push downward on the steering wheel. You should be able to see the switch when the steering wheel is touching the seat.

hatzie 03-23-2015 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69heavychevy (Post 7101863)
83 should still have the dimmer switch on the floor. 83 was the last year for dash mounted headlight switch.

Nope.
82 was the last year for the floor dimmer. 83 and up has the column mounted dimmer.
The wiper switch moved to the column as well.
The headlamp switch remained in the dash.

The Dimmer attaching bolts are on top of the column.

69heavychevy 03-23-2015 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7102178)
Nope.
82 was the last year for the floor dimmer. 83 and up has the column mounted dimmer.

I just sold a tilt column that I pulled from an 83 GMC. Turn signal and cruise control were the only things on the column. Intermittent wiper switch and headlight switch were on the dash and dimmer switch on the floor.

Bigstevex4 03-23-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7102178)
Nope.

I have an 83 and it has the floor dimmer.Wiper switch on dash. mid yr change?

bonsai 03-23-2015 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK seems to be it might be a mid year change, although haven't found any "official" data on it, from.searching more last night and some of the replies it seems very possible. My truck has the wiper controls, and cruise control on the lever and the headlights headlight switch on the dash. The dimmer switch I'm leaning more to believe is on the column due to no evidence of a switch being mounted on the floor. I also did a search on the service manual for an '83 that I got from hatzie's thread and this is what it said, didn't mention any variations from a mid year change.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1427120514

So I will have to dig into the column to see if indeed my hi-beam control is there. And what might be the problem. Which I should have done in the first place given the service manual is the first thing I downloaded when I purchased the truck but was having conflicting reports from other friends with the same truck one year above and below mine ha.

Thanks again for all the replies I'll report back when I get a chance to look into the column.

hatzie 03-23-2015 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstevex4 (Post 7102333)
I have an 83 and it has the floor dimmer.Wiper switch on dash. mid yr change?

It might be a mid model year change. What's the build date on the build placard? I bet it's a real early build 09/82 or 10/82.
I have a 2000 GMC C2500 with a build date of 09/99 that's still the T400 chassis rather than the T800. It has the T400 6.5L Turbodiesel and body rather than the T800 body and D-Max the parts books call for.
If you look up the dimmer switch for a 1983 C10 at any parts store it's the column mounted switch. You have to ask for a 1982 to get the floor button.
The wiring diagrams don't show a floor dimmer either so GM obviously thought they had them changed over by 83.

bonsai 03-23-2015 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7102551)
It might be a mid model year change. What's the build date on the build placard? I bet it's a real early build 09/82 or 10/82.
I have a 2000 GMC C2500 with a build date of 09/99 that's still the T400 chassis rather than the T800. It has the T400 6.5L Turbodiesel and body rather than the T800 body and D-Max the parts books call for.
If you look up the dimmer switch for a 1983 C10 at any parts store it's the column mounted switch. You have to ask for a 1982 to get the floor button.
The wiring diagrams don't show a floor dimmer either so GM obviously thought they had them changed over by 83.

Well I don't know how I may have never searched for.dimmer switch. I swear I had but I did it again, but this time on LMC s website and according to their catalog the column switch started 84 and 83 is floor:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1427132415

I did a search on NAPAs website and the floor switch comes up until 83 you have to search as an 84 to receive results of a column switch

bonsai 03-23-2015 02:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So this dimmer switch is quite the trickster in the service manual haha. Doing a search for it in comes up listed in the steering column exploded view, yet in the actual drawing diagram right above it is no where to be found unless I'm blind.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1427133803

But oh no wait it is shown in one of the lighting wiring diagrams, but it's on the floor. Haha

I'm in the process of downloading the '84 service manual. Maybe it'll be more related to my wiring diagrams. I wish I could look at the build placard on this truck, but it is gone unfortunatel...

hatzie 03-23-2015 02:52 PM

Having a transition year rig is all kinds of fun...
The 79-84 parts book doesn't include illustrations of the 83-84 column even though the actuator rod and switch are in the parts list.
Here's the page for the 85 column Note part #68 & 67
http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getbigpage?pageid=57036
http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getbigpage?pageid=57040

Slammed84 03-23-2015 02:59 PM

So do you have to have the dimmer switch hooked up for the headlights to work? And this is probably a stupid question but why would you dim your headlights? Or are you talking about to turn the brights on?

bonsai 03-23-2015 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7102712)
Having a transition year rig is all kinds of fun...
The 79-84 parts book doesn't include illustrations of the 83-84 column even though the actuator rod and switch are in the parts list.

It sure is turning out to be a new experience ha. But that's great thank you hatzie, saves me the time of going through the '85, which was the next step, and thank you for having these uploaded they are invaluable. I always try to find them online for any vehicle. Shop and service manuals I find better than the Chilton or Haynes books at the parts stores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed84 (Post 7102718)
So do you have to have the dimmer switch hooked up for the headlights to work? And this is probably a stupid question but why would you dim your headlights? Or are you talking about to turn the brights on?

And slammed84 the switch that controls between hi and low beams is called the dimmer switch. Name would make a little more sense of you were always going from hi-beam on all the time to low beam but makes names always have a history or a technical reason behind it haha.

Slammed84 03-23-2015 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well then what is this switch? It was mounted on top of the ignition switch at the base of the column.

bonsai 03-23-2015 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed84 (Post 7102926)
Well then what is this switch? It was mounted on top of the ignition switch at the base of the column.

That is the dimmer switch. Exactly what I just walked out of the parts store with 5 seconds ago

Liberty 03-23-2015 06:13 PM

.deleted.

Slammed84 03-23-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonsai (Post 7102938)
That is the dimmer switch. Exactly what I just walked out of the parts store with 5 seconds ago

Answer to my question is....... YES! Headlights wouldn't work unless I had this plugged in. but my column/turn signal switch is broke so i cant check my brights. Turn signals and wipers work though.

Do I have to pull the steering wheel to change out the brights switch?

hatzie 03-23-2015 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed84 (Post 7102972)
Answer to my question is....... YES! Headlights wouldn't work unless I had this plugged in. but my column/turn signal switch is broke so i cant check my brights. Turn signals and wipers work though.

Do I have to pull the steering wheel to change out the brights switch?

The actual Dimmer Switch no.
If the Dimmer switch rod diagram item #67 is missing... or the part of the turnsignal/wiper switch that links to that rod is damaged then you'll have to pull the steering wheel to hook the rod back up or change the turn/wiper switch.
It can be miserable to fish the pigtail that's attached to the turn switch through the column too.

Bigstevex4 03-24-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7102551)

I looked at the tag in dash its in good shape with optians didnt see any tning looked like a date?

motornut 03-24-2015 10:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
mounted on the 88

bonsai 03-24-2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motornut (Post 7103816)
mounted on the 88

Ah thanks for the picture, alright so I see the switch, now how do I get enough room to get back there? I dropped the column by taking off the two large nuts, but still doesn't seem like enough room to get to the one (just one right?) nut to get it off? I would doubt I have to remove the whole dash? Lol

Thanks!

bonsai 03-24-2015 11:58 AM

Ah hmm just looking through the service manual (had to go to '87 for it to show the column mounted switch. And seems the steering column needs to be removed? Anyway to kinda cut some steps or that's just how it is? Haha

bnoon 03-24-2015 01:17 PM

You may have to loosen/remove the bolts on the firewall to get the column to drop down enough to get your hands in there.

bonsai 03-24-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoon (Post 7104070)
You may have to loosen/remove the bolts on the firewall to get the column to drop down enough to get your hands in there.

Well I got it. I hadn't realized by taking off that u bracket thing being held on with the 4 bolts it let it move much more plenty to get my hand in there. Tried checking adjustment first but it was probably just too much dust in it it prevented the mechanism to move far back enough to activate. New one works like a charm and nice and crisp. Stiffened up the lever a bit too so that's a plus.

Thank you all for the help! I'm sure I'll be asking more if I can't find any answers on here or the service manual.