The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What is the green with black stripe wire under the hood. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=763555)

lts70 05-10-2018 10:43 AM

What is the green with black stripe wire under the hood.

1 Attachment(s)
What is the green with black stripe wire under the hood? Had to redo the heads On my 1987 TBI 454. Have a green wire with black stripe that I’m not sure where it goes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RotaryRocketeer 05-10-2018 12:51 PM

Re: What is the green with black stripe wire under the hood.

Single green wire on my truck is the tach output.

blindbug 05-10-2018 12:55 PM

Idiot lights, or gauges? Engine Size?

I have idiot lights on my 86' and a 350 v8. One of the green wires under my hood connects to the temperature sending unit/switch located on the driver's side between my exhaust manifolds in the front. It has a black adapter on the end that slides onto the temperature sending unit (which looks like the head of a nail).

Dead Parrot 05-10-2018 09:30 PM

Green wires in that location are usually one of the following:
Temp gauge or idiot light to sender
AC compressor clutch
Idle comp solenoid
Electric choke

The last two probably don't apply to a TBI.

I think some AC compressors had the high pressure cut off switch in or on the compressor instead of over by the AC box.

hatzie 05-10-2018 11:44 PM

HPCO, if present is an owner/builder add on.
LPCO is on the accumulator. Solid green wires.
THe above run to the AC compressor.

The only GREEN/Black under the hood in 1987 is one of four wires to the IAC. Specifically Circuit 444 from the ECU to IAC stepper coil B...

Are you sure it has a black tracer stripe and it's not just filth?

TKCR 05-11-2018 05:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like the Temp Sensor wire. Mine was laying lose in the engine room, because the previous owner had put an aftermarket temp unit in. I put a heat resident loom on it, since the temp sensor is right there by the headers. The original plug was melted, so when I put a new one on, I thought I would try and help protect it from the heat.

hatzie 05-11-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8258895)
Looks like the Temp Sensor wire. Mine was laying lose in the engine room, because the previous owner had put an aftermarket temp unit in. I put a heat resident loom on it, since the temp sensor is right there by the headers. The original plug was melted, so when I put a new one on, I thought I would try and help protect it from the heat.

The temp gauge sensor or dummy light switch wire is solid green with no tracer.
I do agree that's what it looks like... but if there's really a black tracer stripe then that's not what it is.

Would it work better to run the temp wire over the top of the valve cover and back along the intake?