View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Re: front brakes: 1" vs 1.25"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
That's why the kits only "seem" expensive........Trying tp "piece" things together can be costly and still not be "better" in any way, usually a compromise at best.
A well engineered kit is far easier to deal with and generally pretty predictable. (lowering or lifting)
I actually bought a nice "kit" with shackles/hangers & spindles. What bit me is that my truck originally came with 1" brakes, so I ordered spindles for 1" brakes without measuring my rotors......but it turns out at some point before I got the truck, someone put 1.25" brakes on it and I didn't find out until I got in there. I couldn't return the spindles, so I had to replace the rotors/hubs, wheel bearings, calipers and brake lines just to make the spindles work! On top of that, my ball joints and tie rods were trashed when I got in there, so I had to rebuild most of the front end. On the back end, the 4" drop made my drive shaft too long so I had to have it shortened and rebalanced. Moral of the story, don't ASSume anything and measure EVERYTHING first.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote