Thread: BBC Swap
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 04:19 AM   #15
argonaut

Re: BBC Swap

Well it is finally in. When I got the motor on the hoist this morning my intention was to set it on the original perches in the rear hole location. I had however prepped the frame by cutting it down 3/4" to suit the big block perches and the exhaust manifolds... and it turned out to be a good thing that I did.

I learned that people swap the the aftermarket tubular perches with the newer style mount because the exhaust manifolds/headers will hit the stock perches. So I went ahead and installed the motor on the big block perches in the forward holes, and pushed the TH400 about 3" forward. Nearly got all the small stuff buttoned up today, but I still have a few loose ends. Need to get a longer driveshaft. Need to decide on a new fan/shroud setup now that the flex fan is right up against the radiator; considering going to an electric fan. The stock power steering pump brackets are too wide for the engine compartment and locate the pump into the left side inner fender; so I either have to notch the inner fender or find a different bracket.

I must say that I'm glad I went ahead and installed it the right way on the big block mount perches. It is SO MUCH EASIER to work on than when I had the 350 crammed way back in there. now I've got easy access all the way around.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote