View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #394
BlueJeep

Re: My version of the s10 swap

Spent some time on the phone with tech help from Vintage Air to find out how far the condenser should be mounted from the radiator. 1/2" max without having a shroud between the two is what they said, and due to interferance with the radiator tanks the closest mine can get is 5/8...and that's not taking into account any brackets. So, I put that on hold so I can come up with some great ideas and worked on radiator hoses.

I used my tried-and-true method of bending TIG wire around to the shape I need the radiator hoses to be, and then going to NAPA and browsing the wall of radiator hoses. I came home with $180 worth of radiator hoses.

Here's the candidate pool:

After not too long of holding them in the approximate area, eyeballing, and figuring... I found a top hose that would work (with modification of course).

Looks good:

Now to the bottom. I again wanted to save $$ here and avoid having to buy an aftermarket straight water neck. Mission accomplished:

Both the hoses in the same view:

And here are the scraps and the "templates". Not bad.

The last step in this process was to return $140 worth of radiator hoses to NAPA. So now I'm $40 into some off-the-shelf radiator hoses, and the part numbers will be documented in a sheet in my toolbox should it ever need new ones.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote