View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #378
JRANGER

Re: 1965 Ford Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I wish! I had to drop the exhaust to get it in. I was afraid to move it back up, I was just happy it was finally in. I'm sick of buying parts twice. I was warned some of the aftermarket shifters would need the stock hole enlarged... I was really hoping I wouldn't have to... but I'll have to enlarge the shifter hole. Boooo.

So far the 1998 (last year before electronic speedometer) 3.8L V6 T5 fits! So many people said you couldn't use the 94-98 V6 T5s (but after much research they're no different than the 94-95 GT T5s, even use the same rebuild kit). With this trans, you need everything, trans, bell housing, starter, engine plate all off the donor car, and a 164 tooth 28oz imbalance flywheel. The flywheel is the important part. The stock flywheels are 157 tooth 28 oz imbalance flywheel, while the 94-98 V6 uses a 164T 50 oz imbalance. Luckily, Ford made a 164T 28oz flywheel after they swapped the mustangs to the 50oz.

The whole reason for that is that the 94-95 GT and 94-98 V6's have an input shaft that's about 3/4" longer than the previous generations. The GT's use the 157T flywheel while the V6 used the 164T. You can use the V6 tans with a 94-95 GT bell housing if you want to reuse your original starter and a stock 65/66 mustang 167T flywheel, but those bell housings are getting harder to find. The starter is physically located in a different spot on each bell housing, hence the need for using the correct bell/flywheel combo.

Thats awesome....One day maybe ill be able to figure that all out...When my 3 speed blows up that is lol
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote