View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 12:33 AM   #90
Low84

Re: "The Relapse" 78 Chevy Stepside

Just saw there is no more edit button!! That's a shame I wanted to go back and make this more organized later on down the road.

Anyway as previously stated the 317 heads were swapped for 243's, they have been assembled and torqued down. The Trail Blazer SS manifolds have been installed as well. Since this engine was off an 05 Hummer it had the DBW throttle body, I instead replaced it with the older Drive-By-Cable throttle body (starting to second guess that decision but oh well). Well that created two problems for me:

First of which was this:

Early LS engines had the vent tube on the TB. When the switch was made to DBW Throttle Bodies the vent was relocated to the manifold. Leaving me with two vent tubes that were in the way of each other. I moved the TB vent tube to allow the TB to sit against the manifold properly. I have decided to just plug one with an old carb plug (got the idea from a friend) not the best aesthetically but it works.

Second problem is the cable bracket, my manifold doesn't have one. Bigger problem still is LSX swaps are HOT right now. I tried hitting every junkyard in the area and nobody wanted to sell it other than a package deal. I also tried buying two ignition coils and they wanted to sell those with the entire engine. Obviously neither of the two made sense for me.

The bracket my friend helped me out big time and gifted one to me, the coil packs, this being around a 50k mi engine I decided to buy the two new AC Delco replacements and get it over with.

The throttle body I bought off craigslist and didn't have the IAC ( Idle Air Control Valve) or TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). I bought and installed both today. Now I just need the screws to secure both, and that's looking to be another headache.

I'm pumped though, I have 4 screws and the spark plug wires to call this done!