View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #1281
Advanced Design

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy79 View Post
To me that sounds like a good Failure Analysis. Drive Shaft being the cause, with evidence on the road, axle and trans resulting failure. A good write up and photos sent to the driveshaft company may result in compensation.

Best of luck to your buddy, that is a killer wagon, I've always liked it.
Thanks Brad, my engineer buddy is pretty precise and thorough....and it is a theory. Probably accurate though not 100% positive. A local guy with a driveshaft business made it and my car owning friend probably won't press him on it. He was dreaming of doing this build 5 years ago and being so close with the setback is a little disheartening for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinKees View Post
First congratz on your daughters wedding!!

Second, nice pics!!!

Third, that was quite a road rage, to damage all that!
Never seen that before...
Thanks Kees, we ended up with many nice wedding pics.
Yeah, the car seemed angry with the road for sure. Hope you finished the install on your transmission ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
That theory makes sense. Was there any other damage to the car? Glad they got pulled over safely.
Lowers, the floor pan on the car near the trans was pretty beat up. Other than that, and broken replaceable parts, the car was ok. You are so right on them getting pulled over and stopped safely. If the left axle wasn't held in place by the rear cover, the car could have rolled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKESAD50 View Post
WOW! Never seen that kind or destruction. Do you know if the driveshaft was on the edge of being to long for a one piece?
Mike, the original driveshaft was a little longer than this one. My service engineer background friend advised the 3" shaft diameter was too small for the 55 inch length. Factory was 3 1/4". And heavy wall tubing contributed to the issue as well.

Here the rear cover is holding the axle tube in.
Attached Images

Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote