View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 09:57 PM   #8
bluex

Re: 2WD Lowered - Shock Mount Relocation Needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Scoti is being politically correct bluex. I feel that shock extenders should be part of any front suspension drop that includes short springs. If you reduce the shock travel by 1,2, or 3 inches a shorter shock will not offer a better ride. No matter what combo of fluid, gas, or valving a shock uses for damping, it needs travel to be effective. The shorter the travel, the less effective it is.

After trying several shorter or "drop" shocks I discovered that would not improve travel.
Now, I "always" add upper shock mounts in front with longer shocks.

I tried to add those brackets that go on the top of the frame. No way they would have worked with a stock length shock for me. I would have gotten about 1" of up travel over my ride height. Stock location and stock replacement style ones worked best for me an give 11" of travel. I couldn't get that with the stud style shocks and I personally felt they were too soft as well.

Everyone has their own preferences. I'd suggest to everyone, break out a tape measure an look up the specs of the shock you want to run and see if it will work before spending money on a relocation bracket.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote