View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Help! need steering box for '67 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty550 View Post
I need a power steering gear box for my '67 C10, but was informed by my very knowledgeable mechanic that most of the gear boxes are of poor quality.

The former owner had installed power steering (for front-end drum brakes), and due to his death, I don't know if the box was new or not at the time of the upgrade from manual steering.

The Pitman and Idler arms have been replaced, but the steering gear box (and I would replace the rag joint at the same time) appears to be "toast." Tried a place called "Flaming River" online (reported to be a quality source), but they don't supply steering gear boxes for the '67.

I have numerous catalogs, but don't want to waste my time contacting any of them unless I can be assured that I will receive a unit that won't wear out right away. I have been told that too many boxes are "junk," and I am a relative newbie in the area of which companies can be trusted for higher-quality products. Or....should I check the local Chevrolet dealership?

So........any suggestions as to where to go to purchase the item (a power steering box for a 1967 C10) would make my day.

Thanks,

Smitty

Basically any of the power steering gear boxes will fit the '67. The problem is that the '67 frame does not have the factory frame indentation to allow it to bolt in directly. You will have to indent the frame or add spacers between the steering box and the frame to make it work. There are quite a few threads on the subject if you do a search. Here is one thread you can check out....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=365817

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote