View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 68 Steering wheel parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdcougar View Post
Does anyone have any idea which set of posts is correct? Are 67-68 horn guts the same as 69-72?

Paul
I think there is a difference in them but I'm not sure what it is. I will have to look tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
When I rebuilt the column in my 1970 k10, it had what appeared to be the same guts as my 1968 burb.

I too have been looking around for the guts in the horn and signal switch area.
From what I have seen, the vendors carry the bearings.
But there is a plastic piece that goes around the steering shaft, and then sort of sits on top of the bearing and works like a centering part?
I can't find that piece, where as everything else I can.
Chris,

That piece is called the cancel cam/ bearing retainer.

Quote:
Chris I picked up a Dorman "Help" part at my local CarQuest the other day that looks like the correct plastic piece. It has a brass ring on the bottom and the long shaft for the horn contact stuff. It also acts as the turn signal canceling cam. The long shaft holds the spring and washer for the horn. Dorman part number 83232 but number 83233 looks the same. Advance Auto lists it for a 1984 to 1973 Chevy truck.

Haven't had a chance to see if it actually cancels the turn signal yet though.

Paul
Paul,

I don't think that one will work. The original one has a taper on the bottom to hold the upper column bearing in place. The one in the link you posted doesn't look like it has the taper on the bottom.

Quote:
ok next up.

Will the 65 ish horn button work on the 68? I'm looking at the plain round cap that has "Chevrolet Division" imprinted on it but the older ones with the red bow tie are much cooler. Are they the same size?

Paul
Well, the horn buttons will interchange. The only problem is that the '65 button fits inside of the steering wheel center and the 67 fits outside of the center so the steering wheels are made different. The '67 button looks pretty good on the '65 but the '65 button looks a little hokey on the '67 because of the way the wheel is made. If you could find a CST horn button they are pretty cool, they are just hard to find...

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-11-2013 at 10:58 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote